PDA

View Full Version : This whole panic thing is scary!

simon68
02-02-09, 17:37
I am scared!
I don't mind admitting it. Lots of people would say it's not a manly thing to admit too, but I am scared.

These things happen all of a sudden. One moment i'm okay, the next i'm scared out of my mind.
My hands and legs begin to shake, my heart racing along feeling out of control, and my thoughts are taken over with having a heart attack or stroke.

The first time this happened I went to A&E in an ambulance and the staff there were superb! I thought I was on the way out!

I'm learning to try and cope with these feelings. I'm not on any medication at the moment but am going to see the cardiologist on Feb 13th for test results.

These things also come on in the night.
Any help or advice would be really welcome....or just a chat!!

Thanks all.......:weep:

mandie
02-02-09, 19:00
Hi Simon

:welcome: to the site.

lots of people on here are scared.

Like u, my symptoms come on sudden, and i get very anxious at night.

Have u thought about having some counselling?

Love mandie

simon68
02-02-09, 19:29
Hi Mandie
Night time does seem to be difficult. I awake in the night with panic, does that happen to you?
I'm going to approach my GP regarding the panic after the hospital appointment on the 13th. Hopefully counselling may be an option.
Have you gone down this route and if so, does it help?

hugs
Simon

ana
02-02-09, 19:31
Hi Simon!

First of all, you are not alone. Thousands of people are suffering from panic attacks and you will find help and support on this site. I was in a really bad place with my panic attacks when I first joined this site and it has helped me as I used to feel so desperately alone (I never told any of my friends about my panic attacks, just my parents who happened to be with me when I had my first panic attack)...

Secondly, you will not have a heart attack and you will not die. Panic attacks cannot kill you, though they are nasty and unpleasant.

And lastly, (notice how wonderfully structured my letter is :whistles: ) I would advise you to go and see your GP. Asking for help is not something you should be ashamed about.

Hang in there, things will improve and you will be just fine! :hugs:

Ana xxxx

ana
02-02-09, 19:35
Btw, I get panic attacks at night as well - they are the scariest as your consciousness is already reduced to minumum, so the last thing you want is that spacey feeling. When I have a panic attack at night, it helps if I go to the bathroom and wash my face. Then I breathe in and out deeply, to calm myself and go back to bed when I feel better.

Counselling helped me as well. Have been seeing a therapist for 5 years now...

simon68
02-02-09, 19:40
Thanks Ana,

I'm overwhelmed with the support I'm receiving on NMP.
It is simply fantastic!

More people than I realised suffer in the same ways that I do. It is true that until you've had a panic attack it is impossible to realise what they are like.

I am planning on speaking to my GP after an appointment I have with the cardiologist on 13th Feb. Once I know my heart is okay, I can address the panic issue.

Thanks again Ana, and Mandie. I feel like I'm amongst friends now!:D

Simon xxxx

ana
02-02-09, 19:50
You're very welcome, Simon! :D

Yes, I feel the same way, this is a very friendly and extremely supportive place.

I had my heart checked too. It proved ok (thank goodness), so did my MRI. Once I realized nothing was wrong physically, I was so relieved!

Good luck with your doctor's appointment! :flowers:

Ana xxxx