PDA

View Full Version : Low ferritin iron levels - is there a link?

auxano
03-02-09, 03:48
I have just found out that I have very low ferritin levels.
They are 6. Normal is 20-200

I know they say that depression can be a symtom, but I am wondering if my mild anxiety could be a result of low iron?

Does anyone know if this is true?

Crystaltips
03-02-09, 13:09
I was anaemic a couple of years ago with very low iron, and I had some of the same symptoms as I do with anxiety, trmbly legs and shaky hands. My iron has been checked though, and it was ok.

daniela
03-02-09, 13:50
I was wondering exactly the same thing. My ferritin level is at 3 and my anxiety symptoms are at their worst, was wondering if it can be related.

meggyjo
14-02-09, 08:21
I was diagnosed with very low ferritin the first time that I experienced anxiety symptoms and was told that because I have heavy periods too, that it was extremely important that my ferritin didnt get low because this can trigger the anxiety symptoms. In fact I dont feel well at the moment and have just had a blood test to check this before they decide whether I should go back on any other medication.. If it s just a drop in ferritin then iron should help to make me feel better again. I find I also get leggy, and breathless doing simple tasks such as gardening or walking up hill etc, of course this then gets blown up into have I got heart trouble, lung disease and so it goes on...... until we have a full blown panic attack!!!!!!!!!

lizzie29
14-02-09, 21:46
That's weird, I had low ferritin levels and was given iron tablets too. But even when taking the tablets my anxiety was still there. Although I suppose taking the tablets doesn't necessarily mean my levels got higher. Hmm, interesting, not heard about that link before.