PDA

View Full Version : Fear Of Food Allergies

panik101
03-02-09, 06:24
Does anybody have a fear of developing food allergies (mainly anaphylaxis to a food)? I have had 4 allergy test and it is no help for me. I have had 2 blood and 2 skin test and they all came back with different results. I have not had any reaction to food but i have that fear. I have lost 25lbs due to this. The allergiest say the fear is due to my ocd. I have only my safe foods i eat and at times i get scared when i eat them. I also have a fear of meds to. I don't take any kind of pill, due to the fact i am afraid of my throat shutting. If anyone could give me some advice i could really use it.

jhz
03-02-09, 06:32
Does anybody have a fear of developing food allergies (mainly anaphylaxis to a food)? I have had 4 allergy test and it is no help for me. I have had 2 blood and 2 skin test and they all came back with different results. I have not had any reaction to food but i have that fear. I have lost 25lbs due to this. The allergiest say the fear is due to my ocd. I have only my safe foods i eat and at times i get scared when i eat them. I also have a fear of meds to. I don't take any kind of pill, due to the fact i am afraid of my throat shutting. If anyone could give me some advice i could really use it.

Hi, Sorry to hear you're having problems. I think your dr is right. OCD. Since you have had tests done let it reassure you and try not to worry about this. I would think you would have had problems in the past if this were going to happen but I know how it is to get something in your mind and cant let go of it. Its all part of anxiety. I am also afraid of meds.

Kay:)

Wolfie
03-02-09, 08:40
Hey, it's been a while since I've spoken to someone who has a similar obstacle to me. You're not alone.

Because it is a form of OCD, I think the best way to tackle this would be to go for any type of therapy which is aimed at OCD...have you considered councelling or CBT? I found CBT, very good in rationalising my thoughts about having the allergic reaction and stuff and maybe that would be pretty good to look into.

If you would like to talk about anything hun, then you're more than welcome to PM me.

Take care, and much love,

Chrissy xx

Southern_Belle
03-02-09, 13:41
Hi,

I'm sorry you are suffering this way. I do have allergies and had the skin test and tested 4 which you know is the highest you can test for both foods and other allergens. They give you an epi-pen if you test where you can have dire consequences from food or other allergies. Please be assured if you were not given such a thing you will be okay. I also have OCD but only in a cleaning the house type form. I agree with Wolfie that counseling is a must. I went to a psychologist and found great help. You sort of have to retrain your thinking patterns. As for medications, quite a few come in liquid form. I do hope you feel better soon and can concentrate on how wonderful eating and food can be instead of the negatives. Do take care.

Best wishes,

Laura

bab
03-02-09, 14:15
hi i am like this and manage to cope much better now but i used to be horrendous and used to eat near a hospital in case of anaphylactic shock

to get over it i used to carry anti histamine with me while eating until i eventually realised i never had to use it

im still like that with medication

Lynne123
03-02-09, 15:57
I do suffer from many food allergies and I carry an epipen everywhere I go. I have a severe allergy to nuts, citrus fruits and raw vegetables. It is known as Birch pollen allergy.

Because of this I get tested every 2 years to see if any other allergies develop. I never eat out anywhere and will only eat foods I have cooked and prepared myself. It makes me feel more in control.

I carry a bottle of piriton medicine with me at all times, alongside my epipen because if I only have a small reaction the medicine seems to ease it very quickly and I have only once had to use my epipen.

I guess if your results are clear then you really are safe. But I understand your fear

shadow♥
05-02-09, 19:38
hi ,
i was always told i was allergic to nuts after i had a servere reaction when i was a baby but two years ago i had another reaction i was sent for tests which showed i wasnt allergic 2 nuts, which made me terrified to eat because i didn't no what it was.
i stoped eating and dropped to 5st and ended up in hospital with menigtus becasue of it,
Two years later i have gone back up to 7 and half stone which is just normal for my age and height im 18.
But now i only eat certain foods from certain shops and my diet isnt very varied i hate it because i [anick if someone eats something and then touches me that ill have a reaction, i dont drink anymore incase i eat something and i carry my epipen and pirition everywhere with me . My boyfrined has stuck with me and we have been together nearly 4 years but i just wish i cold be like other girls my age going out and eating out and drinking out.
its nice to hear that im not on my own because none of my frineds really understand how it feels. x

fantaman32
30-04-09, 06:39
Hi I posted this on a similar thread earlier and thought you may want to have a read. It's about my experience with anphylaxis and this fear and may help you.

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showpost.php?p=493689&postcount=6