PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed please

IloveJoshHolloway
04-02-09, 12:47
Hi all.
I have suffered with pa for the last 10 years. It hasn't been constant. I have gone a few years able to control them but recently they have come back.
Im not on any meds as I have been able to control them myself up until now.
The thing is next Tuesday I have to travel to my nearest town about 30 min drive away to have a wisdom tooth out! I havent been travelling far due to my panic attacks and I need advice on how to cope with the journey.

Mully
04-02-09, 15:10
I would suggest that you have someone go with you, preferably drive you. Going to the Dentist can be scary enough without having to face the drive there and back too. And having any sort of surgery be it local anesthetic or otherwise it is best to have someone drive you home.. If you cannot have someone with you then what I personally would do is plan the drive. I would do this by making sure I had plenty of time to get there and allow for time when I may have to slow down or stop for a few moments. Take the drive slow, plan your route, know exactly where you are going. Usually you are consentrating so much on the roads that 30 miles will pass quickly :) ..

Say to yourself that you CAN do this.. say to yourself that it's OK, if you have to stop, that it is OK, if you have to turn around and go home.. This takes the pressure off yourself and also I have found, makes one more inclined to attain the goal.

As an extra boost, I will tell you that I had two wisdom teeth out last year. I had already told the Dentist of my anxiety and PA disorder and they were very helpful.. I decided against sedation as i like to have as much control as possible. I wanted to be put to sleep but this was not availble for me. But it was painless.. and I did shake a bit due to the adrenaline that was in the anesthetic but it was ok. YOU will be OK.

Good Luck xx