PDA

View Full Version : How do you cope with Ectopics and PVC's

willtheconk1998
04-02-09, 16:37
Hi Everyone,

Well I am still suffering and worrying loads about my "benign" ectopics!!!
Have been getting them constantly now since new year.:mad:
When I say constantly I mean every day....sometimes all day sometimes part of the day.
They are worse after eating and especially bad when i lie down in bed at night.
The main relief is when I am exercising but when my heart slows back down to normal it kicks back in after a couple of hours.
I am sometimes getting them every 5 or 6 beats or so but in the main about 1 a minute and then sometimes none for a while but they always get worse as the day goes on.
Been to 2 different GP's already this year and both saying I don't need another 24hr monitor etc as these are the same problem I had when I had the test 18 months ago and they are "benign" and nothing to worry about.
Have had all the tests and was kept in over night at hospital 18 months ago after a bad run of them and the cardiologists said it is a "benign ectopic arrythmia" I am just so aware of these and they are getting me down.
Anyone got any coping strategies???
Have been to Er a few times over the last couple of years with racing heart and told that it is "sinus tachycardia" and even when the ectopics show on ecg they say they are nothing to worry about. I know that should be reassuring but when they hit all the time it gets really annoying.
I just can't see how when you get thousands in a day it can't do damage to the heart...and with so many people worldwide bothered by this condition how come they haven't found a cure??
It is taking over my life again and i promised myself when this started 9 years ago I wouldn't let it. But it is the frequency that worries me sometimes and I know worrying and stress make them worse so it is a vicious circle.
Sorry for going on but I am so frustrated. I feel every one of them and am struggling to cope if I am being honest. So much for not letting my health anxiety get me down in 2009 :weep:
How do you all cope???

Will.

ro44
04-02-09, 16:56
Hi,

I know it's really hard. I've had them for over 19 years. What I have learned is that there are different triggers for different people. You have to try to find out what yours are. You might keep a diary of when you get them. I know for me that stress can bring them on. But my biggest trigger is indigestion. I've figured this out over many years. If I eat a lot or something that causes indigestion I get them BIG TIME for a few hours. I have had them so bad that I am physically weak and can't walk very fast or a long distance. I believe, (in my case) it has something to do with the vagus nerve being stimulated or irritated when I eat too much. If I eat small meals I do SO MUCH better. It's hard to do however. For some people caffeine will cause them. I rarely drink alcohol, but if I do that will bring them on too. And sometimes I'll have them and I don't know for sure what triggered them. But I know for sure that digesting food for some reason makes mine the worst. I usually burp a lot, when I have them every few beats.

I don't know if this helps you or not. My mom has them and went on a beta blocker years ago which greatly helps her. I chose not to go that route. Try writing down when you get them and what you were doing hours or even the day before. You may see a connection. I have had these for so many years and I still HATE THEM, but I am learning to live with them and do my best to prevent them when I can.

Ro

matti
04-02-09, 19:10
Hi.....How similar a story. Its so hard isn't it that they can drag you down so much? they are just awful!! I have had mine for nearly 17 years now and they drive me Bonkers!!! Mine like yours have developed in frequency, and I seem to be falling into a bit of a spiral of worry and anxiety over them. I try not to fret about them as much as poss as I know that it will make them worse, and I know when they are happening thats easier said than done. My stratagies are as follows I sing :D I jump up and down, and sometimes (this may sound a bit daft) but I shout at them :D not sure if any of them work, but it keeps me from thinking about them for awhile. I think the key is to tell yourself that they are benign, and they are not going to hurt you.
I hope you can find some reassurance from your worrys
Take care
Matti xxx