PDA

View Full Version : Disability Living Allowance

LucyR
04-02-09, 20:35
Hello, Is it true that some people are able to claim disability living allowance for their anxiety condition and how bad does the problem have to be in order to qualify for this benefit?

amandaj
04-02-09, 20:45
i get mine through being agrophobic and cause i have severe anxiety ,worth putting in a claim if your dr is going to give you support and send them a letter , i only get lower rate though but because ive become worse im going to try to get higher and carers allowance for my hubby who has to be with me nearly all day everyday

Mully
04-02-09, 20:55
I recieve D Allowance too, have done for the last 5 years.. I have to see one of their Doctors once a year for an assessment, in fact i am seeing one again on Mon. When i first applied for DA or Incapacity the forms they sent you only covered the basic physical disabitlites.. but over the last couple of years they have now come to realise that mental illness is also a big issue for some and are now taking that into account and are putting that in there forms for you to fill in to let them know how your mental health affects you on a day to day... It is about time they did this.. that finally this is now recondnised as a legitamate disability.

Just be honest in the form.. they will probably then send you to see one of their docs who will assess you and give you a chance to explain how your mental problems effect your life and you abitliy to work.. Good Luck

Yvonne
04-02-09, 20:56
Your anxiety has to be pretty bad and you have to prove that you need help going out and stuff.

If you are in a state where you cannot go to shops alone etc then you can apply.

Beware: The form is very very long and it is best to go somewhere like Citizens Advice who sit with you and help you fill in the form. I was actually advised to do this by a mental health worker. The CAB know these forms inside out and willingly help.

Good luck cos even when you are bad they give you something like £17.00 a week which is a bit of a joke actually.

sunshine-lady
04-02-09, 22:01
I get DLA because I have Bipolar, agoraphobia plus several other mental health issues. There are different rates depending on your circumstances. I get high rate care £67.00 per week plus low rate mobility £17.75 per week. This is not means tested. I have been getting DLA for several years and now have been awarded it indefinatley.

It is not easy to get DLA and a lot of people are turned down when they apply. It seems the norm for people to have to appeal. Basically your condition has to be disabaling and make you unable and unfit to work on a long term basis.

My social worker filled in my form for me. If you don't have any support from a mental health team, it would probably be advisable to go to the CAB and get them to help you fill in the form ... it is very long!

Good luck xxx