PDA

View Full Version : Cross After Visit to Pain Clinic (prob not in right section on forum!)

fairyloveheart
04-02-09, 21:25
Ok, so my long awaited trip to the pain clinic for a referral about my now 15 month bout of facial pain, nasal pain, foehead pain, ear pain etc (have got over my BT fear after a private MRi - yippeeee!)

Well, the consultant - after doing a quick exam and asking me lots of q's about the pain etc said:

"I suggest you take a paracetamol if the pain is bad"

I almost fell off my chair, and didn't know whether to laugh or cry! Would I really be at the pain clinic after trying lots of diff meds at the gps to no avail if the pain disappeared with a paracetamol!!!!!!

I said that didn't work and he drew me a graph of pain.... and suggested I took 8 paracetamol a day.... again I said I'd tried that and much stronger pain killers.

So he said he was 'flummoxed' and I said what about acupuncture then, and he said....oh ok then if you think it may help..... umm hello, i thought he was supposes to be the expert on whether it might help.

ARGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH H

CROSS!

BNCfan
05-02-09, 10:18
I'm not surprised you're feeling 'cross', I'd be doing a war dance! He's an 'expert', he's getting paid a fortune to tell you he's "flummoxed"! You must write a letter of complaint about this, it's appalling. I know it's a drag having to complain, but if nobody complains he will go on getting paid a fortune for quite obviously not doing his job properly. At least there will have to be an internal 'inquiry' if you make a complaint - I've had to do it myself after receiving terrible treatment at the hands of so-called medical experts. How insulting to tell you to take a Paracetamol when presumably he had your medical notes in front of him, which would have told him all the different medications you'd tried - that's if he'd bothered to read them. I think I'd have had a problem stopping myself from thumping him if I'd been you. Not that I recommend the use of violence! No wonder hospitals now have to have notices saying they 'won't tolerate any abuse or attacks on staff' when they treat people like this. You really do have the right to complain, please do. I wish you all the best, Helen

fairyloveheart
05-02-09, 14:13
Thanks for the support. I hadn't thought of complaining....
I did feel like pushing him off his chair!!
Will pursue xxx

kittykat
05-02-09, 14:42
Hiya,

Just to let you know my friend also visited the "pain clinic" as she has fibromyalgia and arthritis caused by her eczema ( psoratic) don't know if thts how you spell it:)
She too experienced what you did as she had been on various drugs, some of which didn't agree with her.
He basically told her there was nothing he could do as she had tried all avenues and just had to live with it and the pain, she felt like he was making out that there was nothing wrong and it was all in her head, but it was the way that he said it that made her feel terrible.
These so called doctors really need to be taking a course in people relations as some really dont interact, and its a real shame as there are some fantastic ones out there.
Needless to say she's not going back to that consultant and is seeing her gp soon to try and get one thats a bit more sympathetic to her conditions, thought i'd just let you know that your not the only one. Keep us posted on anything that happens as i would be interested to know .
Take care xx

fairyloveheart
09-02-09, 17:42
I had a lot of pain at the weekend. Have started to keep a very detailed diary, listing categories such as:
Food eaten, Activities done, Environment, Weather, Emotional Status etc to try and pin point what it is! It really is driving me crazy and although I have now not got the worries about it being something life threatening, it is still so annoying and debilitating!
I think it might be this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasomotor_rhinitis

fairyloveheart
22-02-09, 14:40
:( so much pain today and yesterday...what am I supposed to do, I'm trying to get on with things but it is debilitating and makes me so miserable :(