PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty Swallowing - Need Reassurance

BNCfan
05-02-09, 09:49
Just as I thought things were beginning to settle down slightly after six months of what has virtually been a nervous breakdown accompanied by dreadful anxiety related - according to the GP - gastric symptoms, after a particularly stressful ten days I'm now experiencing occasional really frightening swallowing problems. It's as though my swallowing reflex doesn't work properly and food sort of gets stuck mid swallow and I feel things won't 'go down' or they 'go the wrong way'. I am taking Lansoprazole for acid reflux and gastritis and had a Barium Swallow about three months ago and that's all they found. I live alone and I'm terrified of choking. It only seems to happen at certain times, for example at tea time yesterday it was really bad, but when I was eating the dry digestive biscuits I always have before I go to bed everything was fine. I'm so over-sensitized after the last six months - although I've battled with anxiety in one form or another for 55 years - I suppose it is just due to stress. I know I clench and grind my teeth even when I'm awake and that must affect my throat muscles. Does anyone else experience swallowing problems? I need some reassurance please.

june
05-02-09, 10:57
I have posted before about this problem - it is horrid - if i have to take a tablet, i sometimes have to spit it out (it is starting to melt - it takes such an effort to 'find the swallow action) and rinse my mouth and start again.
Food any food can also be a problem. I try any sort of distraction
i put the tablet in my mouth and while swallowing i make myself "do something" walk, turn off the TV (manually) knock a book off the table:ohmy:
AS you live alone there is no one to think you are 'daft':blush:
this is a nervous problem it is in Claire Weeks book - she ask a patient to take a bite out of a biscuit and chew but do not swallow.
once again it is the fear - that is the worst.:blush:
But i am sure you can swallow at other times?
Hope this helps
best wishes
June
:hugs:

randomworry
06-02-09, 00:04
by thinking about swallowing too much you end up tensing muscles in your throat and they can spasm i think which means it seems you are not swallowing properly but you are. Its just another sign of anxiety especially since the barium swallow was normal

all the best

amu
06-02-09, 00:44
It's anxiety. Just look at the number of threads started about this problem!:hugs: