PDA

View Full Version : Ears popping!

SFAOK
15-07-05, 09:44
This is driving me round the bend! For the last week, when I swollow my ears pop or click or do something. My jaw's playing up, and I have a lot of TMJ style symptoms (clicky jaw, jaw moves to the side slightly when opening, pain in cheeks sometimes, pain under jaw sometimes, morning headaches, finger numbness etc), so am I right in thinking that the ear popping is due to the jaw moving when I swollow? Its worse when I swallow generally (I.e in the absence of liquid/food). I don't clench my jaw during waking hours, but as I wake up most mornings with numbness in my little and ring finger in my hands (usually the left, sometimes the right), I suspect that I clench my jaw in my sleep or something, aggrivating the TMJ. My jaw muscles also feel very lethargic in the morning.

I'm still worried about rubbish things like brain tumors/lymph invasion around the jaw/ear, but my doctor/oncologist tells me its 'definetely' anxiety. He's refered me to a CBT and has scheduled me for a head scan. The head scan is in around 7 weeks, the reason he gave for the long wait is that he expects it to be completely normal, but that he needs to exaust all possibilities before referring me for a second opinion (i.e psychotherapy).

Anyone else experienced this kind of thing? I really don't want to have to visit my GP again - its getting farcical now!

trac67
15-07-05, 12:49
Hi,
When i had a clicky jaw and pain in my cheek etc, it turned out to be a wisdom tooth that was trying to push its way through, i had it removed, and instant relief. I dont know if you have had this checked out, it is just an idea.
Take Care
Trac:D

its "just a thought"

Meg
15-07-05, 14:17
so am I right in thinking that the ear popping is due to the jaw moving when I swollow? Yes I expect so.

Have you seen your dentist - He can check your teeth for evidence of clenching or grinding and get you a mouthguard made that can be very helpful.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

SFAOK
15-07-05, 14:57
Thanks for your replies.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Have you seen your dentist - He can check your teeth for evidence of clenching or grinding and get you a mouthguard made that can be very helpful.</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

I haven't yet - I'm going on holiday to France for three weeks at the end of this month, so I haven't really got time to commit - I can't see the dentist seeing me and making me a guard in two weeks!

I suspect that my neck has something to do with it, because it is much harder (i.e muscles are tighter) on the side my mouth opens towards (hence the side of the TMJ). When I pull the corner of my lower lip downwards (facial expression), the neck muscles on that side tense and spasm like crazy. There's another concern! :(

Meg
15-07-05, 15:04
Have you had a massage yet ?

Meg

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.

SFAOK
15-07-05, 15:15
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Have you had a massage yet ?</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">
My girlfriend's been trying, bless her. She's not the strongest person in the world though!

I'm definetely going to seek some professional massage therapy very soon. Apparently my back and shoulders are rock hard, which can't be doing me any good!

Meg
15-07-05, 15:19
That you can do before holiday - you may need 2 or 3 sessions.

Look in the mirror- are you doing a Yogi bear impersonation with no neck and shoulders up by your ears ??

You could see dentist and get mould taken too if he thinks its appropriate pre holiday.

Meg

Quirky
15-07-05, 16:14
My ears have been popping recently and my doctor says it's just due to wax build up in my ears. I need some drops to clear it.