PDA

View Full Version : I drove my car alone!!!!

Mcched
15-07-05, 10:12
Hi all

I just wanted to share with you a success that I had yesterday!!! I managed to drive my car on my own 20 miles away from my house to the next town!!!! :D:D:D[Yeah!] This for me is no mean feat, as I have a problem going out on my own and a HUGE fear of driving my car on my own. My first panic attack of this year was whilst driving on my own in my car!!!!

Whilst in the opticians yesterday afternoon my partner mentioned that he had booked his car in for a service. The garage we use is over the other side of the pennines 20 miles away!!! This meant that I would have to drive over there on my own to go and collect him.

So when we got back I got into my car and drove, the first leg of the journey felt fine. Then as I approached the roundabout to join the dual carriageway, terror struck. I felt, dizzy, had sweaty hands, palpitations and blurred vision. If I had my way I would have spent the next 10 minutes driving round and round the roundabout. Don't ask me how but I got myself onto the slip road and into the traffic. It was very busy on the road. Then I drove into the second lane and just kept going. I was shaking like a leaf and scared that I was going to cause an accident. Which of course I didn't. My partner was driving 20 cars behind me so I couldn't see him. He got caught up in all the traffic as it was really busy.

When I got off the dual carriageway I was very relieved and still shaky, so I found some cheesy music (a compulation my friend put together many years ago when I use to take my godson out) and away I sang, to S Club 7 and Bob the Builder!!! LOL :)[Oops!] I did say that it was a kiddies tape from 2000!!! This kept my mind off it and I even managed to sit at red traffice lights without getting worried that something bad was going to happen. We dropped the car off and I drove home with my partner!!!

I never thought I would be able to do it!!! I did although I think it helped that it was dropped on me at the last minute. On Sunday I have to make the same journey to pick the car up so I'll have to do one way on my own and am quite looking forward to it!!! Although it is two days away!!!!

I don't know if the St John's wort has kicked in yet, been on them for 3 weeks so perhaps that is helping me too. Made sure that I had my bach remedy and a packet of victory v's. They are like my comfy blanket!!!

I have been teaching myself deep hypnotic relaxation. So this could be helping too. Am mean't to be doing it everyday but this hasn't quite happened yet. It works on the same principles as Paul McKenna uses on his new show. Visualise a negative situation that makes you feel anxious and then visualising yourself doing that activity but in a positive attitude. Then you tune in to how you feel. Then you rewind the situation (positive one). I was a bit skeptical about it all but it seems to be making me feel less anxious than I was. It makes you feel really refreshed afterwards. It really relaxes you but you are still aware of your surroundings and noises etc... So I am going to keep on with it.

Last weekend I went down to visit my parents and for the two days actually felt like I use to. Didn't feel anxious at all. Although I was always with someone when I went out.

My next test is going to be Monday. My mum is coming up to stay and I have got to go and collect her from the station in the city!!!! This means a bus, tram and walk!!!! On my own!!!! I haven't done public transport on my own for about 6 weeks. It really does make me feel anxious!!! Does anyone have any suggestions??? At the moment I am not going to think about it as it is 4 days away!!!!!

Sorry to go on and on!!!;)

Take care

Nikki

melanie
15-07-05, 10:25
congrats nikki you have certainly given me inspiration for me going to the hairdressers tomorrow which i am quite nervous about:( i think you did great driving to get your partner and i know its easy to say but when you go again just think you have done it once so it WILL be easier second time round!
where did you find out about the self hypnosis thing?
As for going to pick your mum up i am sure you will be fine i know thats no help but just concentrate on getting there and tell yourself its going to be emotionally uncomfortable for a while but it will go and you will of achieved so much! maybe try and take magazines or a walkman or even a friend to keep you occupied!
You will do it though hun!!!
mel xx

florence
15-07-05, 10:56
Hi Nikki

A big "well done" to you..
I have a driving phobia and haven't driven on my own for 4 years!
I really really want to overcome it but I am still not brave enough to face it :(.
I really admire your courage. My first panic attack happened in a car on a motorway 9 years ago. So I guess we share a similar experience.
Take care.

Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

tattybear
15-07-05, 12:54
Well Done Nikki!

You have done fantastically!! And you should be really proud - I can understand how nervous you mustve been - ive not driven for 7 months (since anxiety Kicked in) so I know personnaly what a big achievement this is for you :D

Youve done that so you know you can do it again...and again...and again [Yeah!]

Tatty B xx

Peru83
15-07-05, 13:58
I think that is great how well you have done, BIG CONGRATS!!

You said in your post that you put on a music tape in the car and felt that calmed you down a bit, so why don't you take a walkman/discman when you go to collect your mum. Maybe the music will help you again.

Whatever you do I'm sure you will be fine.

Take Carexx

Claire

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!"

Meg
15-07-05, 15:02
Superb...... Very well done indeed .

You carry on going on and on .. its good to share.

That was real great progress and especially whe you did have the option of turning round so extra well done.

Have a great visit with Mum - distraction is the key on public transport - chat to someone.. Keep positive and rational.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

seh1980
15-07-05, 15:15
Nice one - good for you!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Karen
15-07-05, 22:10
Well done Nikki.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

pips
16-07-05, 12:00
Well Done Nikki Im so pleased you did so well! Have fun with your Mum.

Perhaps read a book or listen to a walkman whilst on the transport. Look out the window & daydream That's what I do then i nearly miss my stop LOL!

Take care

Love PIP'S X X