PDA

View Full Version : Social Phobia - Introducing Myself

Claireabell
15-07-05, 11:52
Hello Everyone. I am new and this is the first time I have ever posted a message. My name is Claire and I suffer from Social Phobia. I have felt this way since I was a teenager but back then did not realise what was wrong with me. Usual things happened, felt like I was going crazy, nobody seemed to understand, generally kept being told to pull myself together.
When I left school I found it impossible to find a job because I could feared interviewes. My dad found me a job at the company he worked for and to cut a long story short I stayed there for 10 years. I dreaded every single day, and everynight I would cry because I would have to face it all again the next day.
Social Phobia ruined friendships that I had, I found relationships impossible.
As I grew older I found out what was wrong with me and knowing that I was not alone made me feel better. My social phobia has never gone away but at times it has been managed more easily. When I am going through a good period, I make myself do things to try and boost my confidence. I have to keep going back and read up on why I feel like this and what can be done and so on....Right now I am facing up to my fears, my daughter is at school full time (yes I went on to get married and have a child) something I never thought would happen. I have enroled at college and want to return to work. All of this scares me to death. At times I think I can't do this, I am going to make a fool of myself infront of others.
Right now I would love to chat to others about similar experiences, maybe help one another get through it, share ideas, have a laugh......
I do apologise about rattling on and on and I apologise if I end up posting this in the wrong area, I look forward to making new friends , Claire

Meg
15-07-05, 13:45
Claire

Welcome to the site .

You have posted in exactly the right place...

I'm sure you have found the social phobia catagory by now

You have done really well over the years so well done for all those efforts.

Have you ever had any professisonal help like CBT for these remaining issues ?

Good for you on the college enrolling - what are you studying ?

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

seh1980
15-07-05, 14:20
Welcome aboard Claire!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Claireabell
15-07-05, 20:40
Hello Meg
Thanks for sending a message.
Many years ago I did an Anxiety Management course at the local hospital because of overwhelming anxiety/panic attacks. At that time a car accident was the reason my panic escalated. It did help and being with other people who felt the same made me feel not so alone.. I have taken the anti-depressant Seroxat in the past and that has also helped. I know there has been alot of bad press about this pill but I have been helped by these and have had no problem with withdrawl. I have also had counselling and that helped with some problems.
The course I have enrolled on is NVQ 2 Teaching Assistants course which I start in September. I have been helping out in my daughters class, I love children. It may sound strange but I can read a book aloud to a group of children with no problems, it is when an adult comes near that the panic sets in. I had to pass a test and then have an informal interview to get a place on the course. The weeks leading up to my interview were terrible, I was so scared. I decided to read up on SA and took up relaxation again with an old tape that I had. One the day I did have panic and negative thoughts which makes the panic worse but I got through it. It never is as bad as you think it will be but no matter how many times I tell myself this , I still panic .

Karen
15-07-05, 21:15
Hi Claire

Welcome to the forum. I also have social phobia and understand the restrictions this can place on your life. However, I think you have done so well to get where you are today.

Well done for applying for the course and getting through the application process. It sounds like this course will be really good for you and it's great to be doing something you enjoy.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

alexis
15-07-05, 22:48
Hi Clare, welcome aboard, I have social phobia although i am Ok at work, but I work with children. Feel free to pm me and perhaps we could have a chat, we have a lot in common, take care, have a good look around and welcome, Love Alexis,xx

pips
16-07-05, 12:10
Hi Clare,

A BIG WARM WELCOME to the site i hope it helps you.

Take Care,

Love PIP'S X X

pinkscrumpy
16-07-05, 14:34
hi claire

welcome to the site

MANDIE XX

shybabyboo
16-07-05, 21:59
i also have social anxiety. i can remember never leaving the house for almost a year. there was a point not too long ago when i got out a little more and all but that seems to have gone away. i dont get out that much and am stuck in the house. i ended up dropping out of school because of it and havent been out to get a job.

i also had lost all my friends. the only people i talk to now are my sister and brother, and a couple of my brothers friends when they come over to see him.

i have tried two councilors but it never worked out. i plan on looking for one that i think is right instead of what my mom thinks. i was on paxil but was immediatly taken off of it and the withdraws were awful. im now looking forward to getting the natural remedies though and going to try some relaxation.

so i've been through almost the same things as you, but you seem to be making great progress with the college. good luck and feel free to PM me or email me at anytime :D

Jenn

clickaway
17-07-05, 11:29
Hi Claire and welcome to the site.

I know that social phobia is bad news but it sounds you have made some progress - you have got married and had a child so that was a big milestone!

You really ought to try the chatroom some evenings and get to post regularly here on the forums - there are loads of very friendly and understanding people around here.

Take Care,

Ray

Don't wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you've got to make yourself.--Alice Walker

Meg
17-07-05, 18:40
Claire that sounds like a great plan for college .

Will do you a good turn in several ways so good luck and shout if we can support you through it.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

kirgray
17-07-05, 20:09
Hi Claire

I also suffer from social phobia and understand what you have been through. I think you sound very positive and setting yourself goals is a brilliant idea. XKirstyX

nomorepanic
18-07-05, 18:21
Hi Claire

Welcome aboard. We met in chat last night so just wanted to officially welcome you to the forum.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"