PDA

View Full Version : How to control fear of marks/rashes on skin?

Lissy43
06-02-09, 12:45
I have recently completed a course of CBT and I have overcome so much, my main fears being meningitis and dying leaving my children behind have really become less scary yet I still worry if I see the slightest blemish on my skin.

I seem to be prone to like pin prick red/purple marks to my skin, my GP once told me they are normal just tiny bruises from a knock, I sratch my legs alot when I am tired or cold so I often find they flare up there, he said its just from pressure to the skin but when I get them I still worry and focus on them.

I know the type of meningitis that causes a rash is caused by septicemia and my GP has told me that a rash is a later symptom, fever, sickness, very achy limb, cold hands and feet etc.. are the symptoms a person would have yet any marks to my skin I will worry about even if I feel well. He told me that people are so unwell before a rash appears that they don't need to go skin checking.:blush:

My husband says he never wouldn't notice these small marks to his skin because he never looks for them, I always seem to have my eyes peeled when getting in and out of shower or getting dressed. He says they are totally normal, we all get them.

I feel like I have failed this area in CBT as it was one I worked so hard at and I wish I knew a way to stop this fear I have left.

Any words of wisdom?:)

hm1177
06-02-09, 13:20
I know its easier said than done but could you try getting showered and dressed in the dark so you cant look for them? I have stress eczema on my legs which I scratch so much it bleeds and bruises but for some reason I dont worry about this. Or maybe take a photo of a patch of your skin and a patch of your husbands skin and you'll not be able to tell the difference

Lissy43
06-02-09, 13:23
Thanks,

Yes I did that for a while during my therapy and for a while it worked and I didn't worry but its slowly crept back. I am feeling well otherwise but this mark on my skin worry just doesn't want to leave me.

I wish I could just drum it into my head that marks are totally normal on the skin. Meningitis is a worry of mine but the GP has told me its a late symptom so why do I still get abit stressed out when I see marks on my skin? hmmmmm.

Thanks for replying.

june
06-02-09, 13:49
This is nothing to worry about:blush: skin rashes (urtcaria) like nettle rash (have you ever been stung by stinging nettles?)
They are very very itchy.
Some of the 'spots' may be tiny or they can be as big as a twopence piece:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: they are HARMLESS:blush: Sometimes there is a tiny itch like a hair landing on your arm and you rub it away - then you scratch and it gets more and more itchy:ohmy: the more you scratch the itchier it gets!!!!!
I hate to say it :weep: IT IS CAUSED BY STRESS:ohmy:
Next - be brave and look at the skin on your leg through a magnifying glass (ha ha) you will see all sorts of spots and shapes and dry skin etc etc all perfectly NORMAL:blush:
I have suffered stress / anxiety /panic for many years.
I do know what causes a lot of the symptoms that i get BUT when they strike - all my logic goes out the window :weep: - you are not alone with these fears.
Hope this has helped a bit
best wishes
june
:hugs:

Lissy43
06-02-09, 13:51
Thanks June, it has helped alot.

It just flares up almost everyday, sometimes tiny pin pricks (today have 2 on my arm, very small red mark, not itchy at all?? other times I get slightly larger purple marks like a very small bruise, if u see wot i mean??

I really do not know why I let them worry me because of what the GP has told me about meningitis but this fear of mine just seems to stick.

Thanks again June.

Lissy43
06-02-09, 15:40
Can I just add these do not fade with pressure/glass test when I get them so I take it they are some kind of small bruise/broken blood vessel.

gracesophia
07-02-09, 19:29
Hi Aimee,

I have these too, and I drive my boyfriend mad inspecting them! I have shown them to 4 different doctors and they have all said they are nothing to worry about, and that 90% of people have them.

I try to wear long sleeved tops now so that I don't keep looking at them. If I forget about them for long enough, the worry goes away.

x

Lissy43
07-02-09, 20:57
Thanks Grace,

Are they sometimes quite purple and don't fade? abit bigger than the usual pinhead type? I get them like tiny bruises.