PDA

View Full Version : More anxiety in winter

bora20
06-02-09, 17:51
Throwing this out here to see if anyone else is in the same boat. I seem to have increased anxiety during winter months, usually starts around nov/dec and espcially january. I mentioned to my psychiatrist today that we should add an extra infliction to the list called Seasonal Anxiety Affective Disorder, like SAD but SAAD. Just remember you heard it hear first in case he steals my idea. Any thoughts??

Andy

valleybear
06-02-09, 18:14
Absolutely...always feel worse in winter...not brilliant in summer either...but definately worse in winter!!

mick_uk
06-02-09, 19:21
I was wondering if people from countries with better all year round weather are less prone to anxiety/depression than those in the UK?
I know when you look out on a grey dull wet morning it doesn't fill you with much happiness. I guess the more daylight the better it is for you

mick

bananas13
06-02-09, 19:25
Well I'm from the US and I live in Colorado... so it's basically sunny a lot, but I don't know if it's helped my anxiety at all. It does make me feel a little better to go for a walk out in the sun, but it's only a temporary fix.

mick_uk
06-02-09, 19:35
Yeah I guess a nice sunny day is more a comforter than a solution.
I spent a few weeks in Paris Texas quite a few years ago and the stifling heat made me appreciate the cloudy showery days here in the UK. :)

lushkat
06-02-09, 21:27
For me, I feel better when the nights are lighter - in the winter I feel penned in and more vulnerable

Lx

prettykitty2009
06-02-09, 21:33
I agree I definatly notice a shift in my mood in the winter months! My anxiety and depression is always worse when there is less daylight!