PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks and food.

ArellaMarie
06-02-09, 20:13
I thought I might share what I've been going through, and maybe get some advice if possible...
I'm a 20-year-old newlywed, a homemaker, and also an aspiring chef. Ironically enough, this wanna-be chef can't even enjoy the food she makes.

I traced my anxiety to quite a few causes. Most of them being what I guess are phobias and fears about food - a few caused by my mother. I've always been quite overweight, even when I was little, and my mother would always tell me that I had to lose the weight or else I would die of a heartattack. I'd often get told this daily, or WHILE eating. She'd launch into a rant in the middle of dinner about what to expect to feel when you're having a heart attack (primarily pain in the left arm). From age 16 on I will begin to feel horrible shooting pains in my left arm either during or shortly after eating - this'll launch me into a panic attack thinking I'm about to die of a heartattack.

I'm very allergic to mushrooms. I can't even begin to count how many times I've had to go to the emergancy room after eating something. I'm as sensitive to mushrooms as someone with a bad peanut allergy would be to peanuts. I always panic as I'm eating out someplace that something with mushrooms was cooked or prepared right where my food was prepared, as that alone will send me into a spell of strained breathing and throwing up.

I have a terrible fear of dry-heaves... not so much the throwing up part. Dry heaves are usually what I get for about an hour AFTER I deal with anything mushroom-oriented. They're dreadful and painful, so if I start to feel queasy I'll panic, thinking I'm going to have another spell of dry-heaves.

However my worst one of all is my fear of eating too much. That is one I've had a therapist tell me came from my mother - often putting too much food on my plate, telling me I had to 'clean my plate', then lecturing me on how much weight I was going to gain by overeating. After only a few bites I'll start to get anxious, trying to determine how much on my plate is too much before I continue eating.

I'm currently going to therapy to help with this... but I'm having a really bad struggle with it as my husband doesn't seem to try to understand why I do what I do. He's chocked it up to it being an eating disorder and that's it.
Sorry if that sounded whiny or anything.

suzy-sue
06-02-09, 23:24
HI ARELLAMARIE IM SO SORRY YOU ARE HAVING SUCH A BAD TIME. YOUR MOTHER CERTAINLY HAS A LOT TO ANSWER FOR. .AS FOR YOUR HUBBY ITS HARD FOR PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND WHERE YOUR COMING FROM ,IF HE"S NEVER BEEN THERE HIMSELF..COULD HE POSSIBLY GO WITH YOU TO ONE OF YOUR THERAPY SESSIONS? IT WOULD MAKE HIM UNDERSTAND A BIT BETTER. SOUNDS LIKE YOUR THERAPIST IS ON THE RIGHT TRACK ,IM SURE MORE SESSIONS WILL HAVE YOU FEELING BETTER,ITS A CASE OF GETTING YOUR MIND TO CHANGE THE WAY ITS BEEN WORKING ALL THESE YEARS ,THE THERAPY WILL CHANGE THE THOUGHT PROCESSES. HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER SOON .LUV SUZY:hugs: X

Forrest Gump
08-02-09, 20:45
ArellaMarie, I know a bit about what you're going through, as I've been battling similar issues for many years. Getting someone else to understand what you are going through can be very difficult, especially if it's your partner as it involves a different kind of "burden" for them. For me it has many times been a help to think that it's not important that people actually understand exactly what I'm going through. What's important is that they respect it. Convincing and explaining can be a lot harder to do than just asking for empathy and respect. Most people have a hard time understanding what they can not see or feel themselves. What goes on inside another person remains a mystery until one has experienced the same.

Personally, if I were you I would avoid your mother at all cost... to heal up properly before dealing with her lack of understanding what consequenses her pressure has. In fact, by the sound of it, it's not you but her that should go in therapy.

Forrest Gump
08-02-09, 20:46
On a side note, dear suzy sue, writing in capital letters is the written equivalent of screaming. Just thought I should let you know as it might upset some on forums. Cheers

suzy-sue
08-02-09, 22:29
On a side note, dear suzy sue, writing in capital letters is the written equivalent of screaming. Just thought I should let you know as it might upset some on forums. Cheers

Thanks for that !Not ever used a forum until this one,so im afraid i wouldnt of known about that.I wouldnt want to upset anyone and hope my posts have been of help and not been misinterpreted as angry in any way.This forum has helped me so much,and i would like to apologise to any one who i have offended by writing in capitals. THANKYOU luv suzy

orangeblossom
08-02-09, 22:49
Hi Arella,

I read your post with some interest - I had a similar situation growing up. Various members of my family seemed to enjoy not only comparing me with, and telling me about, my other more beautiful and slimmer female relatives and then telling me how fat I was, how various things I wore didn't suit me... the list goes on. To say it created something of a phobia and complex is an understatement.

I've had emetaphobia and panic attacks for a very long time - since I can remember - and I am pretty sure that it has a fair amount to do with my early experiences of the above.

Saying that, I think it is really important that we are both aware of what we have and why, to a large part, we have this phobia and anxiety - it makes it that bit easier to deal with it and help ourselves through it too.

I've had some therapy in the past and also getting some help right now and I know it is making a real difference.

I think it is hard for our partners to understand/appreciate something like this - it has taken me years to be able to explain the situation to my partner and he still doesn't quite get it! It is fair enough because it is complicated and to many people it does seem irrational too, especially if they haven't ever experienced anything like it themselves.

All I can say is that you are not alone at all, there are lots of other people out there who do, unfortunately, feel similarly and also that we will get through this!

x x

Forrest Gump
09-02-09, 08:45
Thanks for that !Not ever used a forum until this one,so im afraid i wouldnt of known about that.I wouldnt want to upset anyone and hope my posts have been of help and not been misinterpreted as angry in any way.This forum has helped me so much,and i would like to apologise to any one who i have offended by writing in capitals. THANKYOU luv suzy

I think that in a forum such as this, there are a lot of people that don't use forums regularly, so similar "do's and don'ts on the internet" are probably not concerning many, if any. But I've been on many other forums where every time someone starts writing in capitals, someone else jumps in and get annoyed by it, so I figured I'd spare you any such future events :) People can be really mean to others on forums, over the sillyest reasons. The level of respect seems very high on this forum though. Cheers