PDA

View Full Version : Worse Topic Of Conversation To Have With A H.a Sufferer

claire.xx
07-02-09, 01:33
i just had to share this, a friend of mine knows i suffer health anxiety and when out tonight a friend was talking about a poorly aunt and the conversation turned to HEREDITARY DISEASES.. thats it i thought my family has had everything, iv no hope, lol

hm1177
07-02-09, 10:50
aw bless - at least you can smile about it!

smcc8172
07-02-09, 21:33
Dont go there! I have stopped reading the medical letter pages in mags and I NEVER ask friends how they are if they are ill cos they might just tell me what is wrong and then I'll get it. I even have to be careful on here as I can read a post to try and get re-assurance only to end up thinking 'wow I must have that too!'

Nutmeg
07-02-09, 23:35
One side of my family has had everything the other side lives for ever but has mental health problems. I obviously take after the side that lives forever and has mental health problems (OCD, HA, MDD and an ED) but still worry about the inheriting the health problems! *sigh* it never ends. Though I'm only worried about certain things so as long as no one talks to me about that I'm fine.

yanksforever
08-02-09, 20:31
Well, I have really good genes. My dad's side of the family lived long and my dad's dad passed away from throat cancer, from YEARS upon YEARS of smoking...his mom passed from old age, peacefully in her sleep.

My mom's side...my grammy had some tummy issues all her life, but she lived to 81 and the day she passed, she was very well. My grampy had diabetes and parkinsons but that too in his 60s. My mom and her brothers are all quiet well, thank God

but of course I have HA. I avoid shows like ER, Greys, House, any medical stuff, medical stuff online..i come only to this site about medical stuff.

knowing my relatively good genes helps me very little. The fact that I've lost 25 pounds in the past 15 months donest make me feel any less vulnerable either...HA is a constant struggle.

avoiding things does help though.

mick_uk
08-02-09, 20:36
Seemed like everytime I switched on 'ER' they were reviewing symptoms similar to those that I had been having.
I used to switch off before they decided on their course of action. :D
'Everybody loves raymond' seemed a better bet :D