PDA

View Full Version : fluoxetine (mentions abuse)

ley
07-02-09, 13:04
Hi all i haven't been on here for awhile as i felt to rubbish. i tell u a little about myself, just over 5yrs ago i split up from my abusive partner who i have 3 kids with, he threatened all kinds of things and i feared for my life, one time he was waving a knife around and actually caught me with it 5 times, i didnt know this till a little later when the back of my leg was wet. Anyway i was too scared to mention it to the police when they turned up. but we were in cornwall hundreds of miles from home, just after my little boy was born and put in special care unit i decided enough was enough so i told him it was over with the help of the police. i was diagnosed with depression and panic attacks coz of this. and put on fluoxetine 20mg which were fine, no se that i remember, stayed on it for 11 months, came off it coz felt better but then slide back into depresssion couldnt go back on it got masssive pa's so tried countless others. skip up to halloween08 i had been doin really well then my best mate who was like a sister to me, i had known her since we was babies, she had a freak accident and was impailed on a fence sorry if graffic, anyway she died, from massive brain damage, i spent most if the nxt few weeks lookin after her son and ignorein my feelings, til xmas when they forced themselves out in massive pa's doc put me on mirtazapine made me really depressed, so am now on fluoxetine again 4 days in and not too bad, i can feel panic rising but doesnt amount to anything, do feel abit hyper at times, and out of it sometimes too. sorry its long xxx

goldilocks
07-02-09, 22:07
hi Ley
I am sorry to hear your story - I can't imagine what that must be like to loose your best friend in such an awful way. I just wanted to say hello and that I am on Fluoxatine as well and have been once before a couple of years ago - give the drug time, I've been on in 5 weeks now and am only just really starting to notice the difference

lots of love and well done for getting away from your abusive partner - I know how hard that is xxxxx

ley
09-02-09, 14:12
thanx for they reply, not feeling to bad on the fluoxetine but it is only 6 days in. i do get abit of the i cant breath feelings i just try and ignore it. so far touch wood no biggies xx

ley
21-02-09, 04:00
hiya just an update since the last time i posted. things were ok but a side-effect i was getting was sickness, so doc decided to change the time i was taking the meds, to the evening before bed. i did this and found they kept me awake. well now im tryig to go back to the morning, but im getting anxious all the time on them, it feels like im going backwards at the moment as i was doing ok on them. ive managed to get down from 8 in the evening to 12 lunch time and will stay at that if i can sleep yuck

Katie27jt
21-02-09, 04:05
I was told by my Doctor that Fluoxetine can make anxiety and Panic Attacks worse, I was put on Citalopram which was much better from that point of view,
Hope your doing better
xx

yellowpoppy
24-02-09, 21:56
You probably will feel worse before you feel better. I too have found problems sleeping, doctor said take at night which made it worse so I'm back to mornings now. Other than not sleeping as well as I used to I'm fine now. Have been taking since end November and the first few weeks were the worst. Hope this helps.

sl007
26-02-09, 11:07
Hi everyone

I was wandering if anyone who has taken Fluoxitine has found that it made them feel so much worse before feeling better? I have been on Fluoxitine for almost 3 weeks and today is the lowest I have ever felt in my entire life.

I've suffered from depression and negative feelings since i was a child but I only did something about it 3 weeks ago when I went to the drs because one day I just burst out crying feeling I couldnt cope with life... feel like i have no friends or family around me and stressful job, debts etc...anyway I was prescribed Fluoxitine and it has made me feel so much worse!... i've always been able to get up and go to work but today I just couldnt... i feel so so low.

Fluoxitine has made me feel spaced out and unable to concentrate or even speak properly!!... i feel numb and unable to get out of bed.... will i feel better at any point? Part of me thinks regrets taking Fluoxtine and I would stop taking it but I know you have to keep taking them for a while before they work.

Has anyone had a similar experience? And did you eventually feel better? After how long? This is the lowest i've ever felt and I blame Fluoxitine!

At least before when i felt miserable i could still function day to day but at the moment i cant sleep or think straight at all and just keep crying.

i dont want to go back to Dr and be put on a different AD as scared i will get even worse (if thats pissbile)

sl007
26-02-09, 11:12
You probably will feel worse before you feel better. I too have found problems sleeping, doctor said take at night which made it worse so I'm back to mornings now. Other than not sleeping as well as I used to I'm fine now. Have been taking since end November and the first few weeks were the worst. Hope this helps.

Hi Yellowpoppy... I've just read your post properly!.. did you feel so much worse during the first few weeks of taking Fluoxitine but then felt better? As I said in my previous post I've been taking for almost three weeks and I feel so much lower today than three weeks ago. Plus sideeffects.. not sleeping, anxious etc... i feel like there is no hope of ever feeling better

ley
28-02-09, 03:04
i have been taking my fluoxetine for just over 3 weeks now and i get more anxiety touch wood no big panic attacks but as if im in a state of anxiety constantly. I cant comment on the mood bit as mine feels slightly better. Since my doc told me to take it at night to stop the sickness though i have not been sleeping well, so i started taking it in the morning again which bought on more side effects headaches r the worst my neck feels really stiff to. sickness is back. Sometimes i wish i had never started on it as well as the anxiety all day gets me down. will stay on it though to c if it gets any better love and hugs ley

yellowpoppy
01-03-09, 21:38
Hi Yellowpoppy... I've just read your post properly!.. did you feel so much worse during the first few weeks of taking Fluoxitine but then felt better? As I said in my previous post I've been taking for almost three weeks and I feel so much lower today than three weeks ago. Plus sideeffects.. not sleeping, anxious etc... i feel like there is no hope of ever feeling better

Yes, it should get better. I didn't suddenly notice that I was feeling better, it's a gradual thing that builds up but you will realise that you are not feeling quite so bad and this should gradually keep on improving with time. I can't remember the exact amount of time I was taking them before starting to improve, but that's because it's a gradual thing. I remember feeling so much worse in the beginning, panicky, couldn't think straight, felt like I was walking around in a dream and things were going on all around me but I wasn't a part of it. Now I'm doing brilliant, apart from not sleeping so well. But that's preferable to feeling like I was before.

Stick with it for a bit longer, if no improvement then you need to go back to your GP because everyone is different and it may not be the right drug for you. But you have to give it a bit of time first. Hope this helps.