PDA

View Full Version : Emily

LindaM
17-12-03, 02:04
I could get a second opinion. I have to deal with my insurance company to make a change. I guess to get a better understanding I will have to ask someone else. I don't know enough about Bipolar to know if he is coming up with something weird or not. I allways thought Bipolar people live in extremes as far as being really anxious or down and out really depressed. I have had some very bad anxiety but not so much on the depression. Back in 2000 my father and father in law died I got depressed and was experiencing depersonalization. I told this doctor about that so maybe he thought that was significant in coming up with his thoughts. I hate to go to another doctor and tell them his bipolar thoughts because that influences their diagnosis. I have been to couple other psychiatrists through out the past 23 years and had not been told this. Maybe this new psy doctor is really good on diagnosis or way off track. I don't know. I just was curious to find out what the rule of thumb is about the 2 different types of antidepressants affect on people if they are bipolar. My GP doctor says the Sri work good on bipolar people. I was telling him about what this psy doctor had said. Oh well some where along the way it will get straighten out. Linda

Meg
17-12-03, 10:35
Linda,

A second opinion is a good idea here.

You don't speak of euphoric times or extreme depression. Your depression following your Dads' death is a completely normal reaction and certainly not to be taken into consideration here at all.

SSRI's are certainly used for Bipolar but not if taking lithium or another mood stabiliser.

I also replied to your other post.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

twister
17-12-03, 10:44
Hi Linda

As Meg says Bi-polar is usually about extreme highs and lows. My partners nan suffers from this and when she is in a manic stage it is not something that you wouldn't notice - she rings up at 3am to tell us she loves us!

It is possible to suffer from Bi-polar disorder characterised mainly by depression and with only one or two hypermanic episodes throughout the lifespan - but in these cases to be classed as having Bi-polar the depression would have to be severe (as in not be able to get out of bed ever).

This does not sound at all like what you have, so I agree with Meg, get a second opinion.

Emily

LindaM
23-12-03, 04:08
Thanks for your replies. I don't have the extremes. I appreciate all help given. Linda