PDA

View Full Version : Start CBT on Monday

louisa2983
07-02-09, 23:19
Hi All,

I am starting CBT on Monday, and I am a bit nervous as I have had counselling before, (not CBT) and I didn't really get on well with it, it made me uncomfortable.

Just wondering how you all feel about CBT if it has worked for you..

Thanks and hugs:yahoo:

Lou xxxx

Anna C
08-02-09, 16:53
Hi,

I am having CBT at the moment through my gp. I have been 7 times and its definitely helping. Its hard work and you need to do your homework, but I would give it a go, its worth the effort.

Four months ago I used to panic on the bus and I couldn't even go to the corner shop unless it was very early, Now I don't panic on buses, my anxiety in shops is much lower - its still there, but now I can go at different times of the day and also wait in queues in Asda. I still have a long way to go lots of things still scare me, but at least now its getting better.

I don't know what counselling you have had before, but CBT might be the one that helps you. Try not to be too nervous when you go I know its hard and scary, but what you are doing is a really positive step towards your recovery.

Good luck for Monday.:)

Anna x

PHOBIA MAN
08-02-09, 17:58
There is nothing about it for you to worry about! Anna is right about it being hard work and you get 'homework' it is however a slower therapy compared to hypnotherapy and NLP (neuro linguistic programming) it's not dissimilar to any other 'talking' therapy,but give it your all!
We all wish you well!

louisa2983
08-02-09, 22:40
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, I am feeling much more relaxed about going now, just hope I don't get snowed in tonight..

XXX

Karen
08-02-09, 23:06
Good luck for tomorrow Louisa.

I see a CBT therapist and although it is often challenging I have found it most helpful. I hope it goes well for you.

Karen xx

louisa2983
09-02-09, 13:55
Hi All,

Just back from first session, it went really well. The counsellor is really nice, I really think she will be able to help me..

Love Lou xxx

sunshine-lady
10-02-09, 13:50
Hi Lou,

Pleased that your first session of CBT went well. I also have been having CBT for a while and although it was very hard to start with, I feel I am now making progress.

Take care xxxx

Tankerton
10-02-09, 15:02
Hi

Been going to CBT for some time now, I enjoy talking to my councillor, he has given me some postive thoughts to take away and work on. I carry round cue cards with me telling me to "think positive thoughts" for example" My favorite cue is " You are what you think, so choose wisley what you think about" how true is this, I only need to think a negative thought and I get the butterflys in my stomach

Its well worth it, so good luck

Joe

purplehaze
11-02-09, 00:52
I think you only get out of cbt what you put into it.So really go with a positve mind set that this is going to change your whole life for the better. There will be no miracles in the short-term but long term you will get lots from it.

So happy that you are taking this step and please keep us all up to date

k

PHOBIA MAN
11-02-09, 01:35
You can have thoughts, but you don't have to think them!
Contact me and i'll give you a technique for getting less butterflies.

Hi

Been going to CBT for some time now, I enjoy talking to my councillor, he has given me some postive thoughts to take away and work on. I carry round cue cards with me telling me to "think positive thoughts" for example" My favorite cue is " You are what you think, so choose wisley what you think about" how true is this, I only need to think a negative thought and I get the butterflys in my stomach

Its well worth it, so good luck

Joe

PHOBIA MAN
11-02-09, 01:39
Often the reality is less daunting than the imagination!
Well done on your first CBT, glad it went well!

WillLatch
03-04-09, 17:20
You are what you think, so choose wisely what you think about.. I LIKE THAT! THANK YOU! Liam

louisa2983
17-06-09, 00:51
Hi All,

CBT is going really well, had 12 sessions so far. Feeling a bit concerned about Monday's session as my therapist is going to try to induce a panic attack, by changing my breathing. She says it will help her to understand what i am thinking when i have an attack..

Has anyone else had to do this during a session?