PDA

View Full Version : Working with panic attacks

sMINT
08-02-09, 15:51
I really want to have a job. To give me something to do & get em out of thsi cycle of waking up and sitting on the computer all day.

Only problem is I suffer form anxiety & panic attacks.

How do you all go about it? Do you work & suffer from them?

feels_like_home
08-02-09, 19:24
I find that work keeps my mind busy which does wonders for my aniety. I have my good days and bad days at work, but I just keep going. I am a teacher and find that the kids are the best distration. You just need to find a job that really interests you so that you are not focused on the anxiety. I do realize that eveyone experiences anxiety differently and I know at my worst I was not able to work much. You have to me in the right mind set. I wish you luck.

Blot
08-02-09, 19:45
:) Hi there, as a recent immigrant to the UK from South Africa I undersatnd that you are frustrated at home. When I was busy working in SA, my focus was on the job so I did not dwell on the disorder as much. I am in the process of looking for job opportunites so I have far too much free time to hand. Not good for the anxiety. My thought is that as soon as I have a job, I will feel alot better!

gofishing
08-02-09, 19:57
When I suffered from PAs, I really wanted to do some labor work, like gardening or farming or construction work. Since I have a regular job (allday at computer in an isolated office), I tried to find a part-time job or something, couldn't find it, but eventually I found some volunteer ourdoor works on the weekend. That really helped me. (at that point, due to lack of energy and motivation, i stopped all excercising except a lot of walks. And the voluntary labor work gave some motivation. By the way, "walks" is really good for PA and depression.)

Try to find some very "simple, but some labor-demading work", I think gardening or farming is ideal (at least for me, maybe because i was a country boy). I think even a cashier job at some busy grocery store would help...but not sure how to manage smiles all the time. Some cleaning job or some simple job in a kitchen, if you can't handle your countenance in public when panic sneaks in, would be good too. In the mean time, try to stroll a lot at some park, or playground. Find some mate to play or stroll if you can. Watching little kids playing anf giglling will be very helpful too. If you have a baby to take care of and if you love babies, it really helps. The concrete buildings with not much open space and downtown areas made feel worse.

And pray a lot. Stay away from computer or internet, even though you think you get some help from in this forum. You'd better not visit this forum too frequently (I mean, if you were already assurred of followings: firstly, you will not die from PA, secondly, you will not get crazy)....maybe once a week would be fine. Find something else to do, especially with your body, not with your brain.

dmckinney
08-02-09, 23:21
As others I would suggest that you get a job to ease your mind and focus on other things, excluding negtive thoughts like fear. However you might want to do some volunteer work first before committing yourself to a paying job I would recommend that as well. Volunteer is also great especially when you are helping and changing others lives in a positive way. Doing volunteer work may also help you in realizing that when you are going through something there is always someone is going through an extremely difficult time than you are experiencing. Find a hobby and do something that will take away the negative energy or thoughts. For me since Valentine Day is around the corner and I enjoy working on crafts I went out and brought card stock to make my family and friends Valentine Day cards. I can only imagine the look on someones face when they recieve the cards especially sending a card to a friend or family member that you have not heard from in awhile you never know who day youll make, maybe that someone that is going through rough time. Good Luck