PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here had agoraphobia when you were pregnant?

sprat
09-02-09, 05:55
And how did you cope? My husband and I have been thinking about starting a family, and I'm just in the process of coming off my meds to get pregnant. But I have some really silly questions - like how did you cope with being in hospital overnight without your partner (after giving birth)? This is the sort of thing I could deal with on meds, but obviously I wouldn't be on them. I'm almost 37, so I can't really put this off for too much longer. I'd love to know how other agoraphobics coped with the whole pregnancy/birthing time.

Thanks
Jax

afreshstart09
10-02-09, 08:29
Hi there. I have suffered with agoraphobia for 8 years now off and on and at times have been so house bound i wont let a friend or family in the house. How ever medication and a light box picks me up at times. 2007 was a fab year for me anxiety wise therefore pregnancy seemed a good idea. i was on 30mg of paroxatine a day but doctors decided to take me off it as its not good in pregnancy and set me up with a mental health nurse to help with any hard times. Knowing you have to attend appointments for your babys and your own health really helped kick me into the doctors and hospital for appointments. I did how ever find it quite difficult once my medication had completely left my system but had a fantastic midwife who let me go to the maternity for my check ups not doctors surgery as it was quieter and much easier to walk in and out. As for the giving birth bit, my adrenaline kept me so high i coped better than i ever thought in hospital, i gave birth to my beautiful daughter naturally and both of us healthy. I had her at 6 in the evening, so by the time they moved me onto the main ward i went to sleep for a bit. having to feed and look after your baby will stop you completely thinking about anything else. its strange how stress keeps u on such a high but hits u after. The next morning was quite hard but again the morning midwife was great and i closed my curtain around my bed which made me feel safe and shut off from everyone. Lunchtime we went home. Midwife comes for 10 days so u dont go anywhere then, and my health visitor was brilliant and came and arranged to continue home visits to do post natal group and weighing so i didnt have to venture out too far. I also went back on my medication once little one arrived and am now alot better than i was a few months back. I am able to take my baby to the baby clinics etc with support from my family and friends. You'll be fine its very surprising how understanding professionals are. Good luck and if you want to talk or ask anymore feel free to pm me etc. x

afreshstart09
10-02-09, 08:34
oh and i explained to the hospital about my problems when i gave birth and said there was no way i could stay there on my own. They were fantastic and let my birthing partner stay ove rnight with me. we just had a side room with one bed and a chair but they gave blankets etc. How grateful wasi! I think i'd of discharged myself had i not been allowed my partner there!

sprat
11-02-09, 10:18
Thank you so much for your reply freshstart! It's good to hear someone else's experience. I think knowing that my husband could stay overnight with me at the hospital would make me feel much better. Thanks for the PM offer too - if I have any other questions I'll ask.

Jax