PDA

View Full Version : Heart Questions

RossWilson
09-02-09, 17:13
Hello all, I am new here. I suffer from severe health anxiety (over my heart)

I was taken to hospital recently due to me panicking over an extra beat (loud thud in chest every so often)

I have had 7 (yes, SEVEN!) ECG's, an echo, a stress test, three blood tests and an x-ray and they say I have an extra beat but it is normal cardiac activity and no cause for concern.

I have bad anxiety as a result of this, have cut caffeine and salt out of my diet as well as cutting down on alcohol.

I have been given propanolol to take daily, 30 mgs of it

Here are my questions:.

1. How safe is propranolol? I have no history of breathing problems

2. I have an extra beat, but had 7 ECGS, a stress test, echo, x ray and blood test and all is good. They told me one extra beat is normal, but the thud in my chest is disturbing, is this normal?

3. This is the first proper medication I have taken and it makes me feel a little dizzy, I only started taking it yesterday. I was told this is because I am unused to medication, what do you think?

Thanks for any help you can give me, I need it.

Thank you, Ross Wilson

willtheconk1998
09-02-09, 17:30
Hello Ross,

I have suffered with Ectopic Heartbeats for many years and still get annoyed and irritated by them.
What you are describing is exactly what a lot of other people who post on here feel and like you I have had many ECG's and 24 our tapes I have had the stress test and the heart echo done and have been to ER many times too. Always to be told I have benign ectopic heartbeats and they will not do me any harm I can get thousands of these a day sometimes every 6 or 7 beats for hours on end so I know what you mean.
I stopped the beta blockers as they did not agree with me but they do work for some people. If you are considering stopping your medication always speak to your GP first.
I have just posted a thread about the British Heart Foundation Helpline. I phoned it today about my ectopics and got a very good nurse who knew her stuff and explained it to me better than my cardiologist did so could be worth a try for you. They are sending me a leaflet on email too.

Hope you feel better soon.

Will