PDA

View Full Version : When your coping methods don't work

Angie
09-02-09, 17:49
You think you have a handle on this anx business, you have worked out all your coping methods and then wham out of the blue you get a PA and a big one.

Then it starts the spiral the catastophising when you know what it is! The coping mechanisms you have cease to work and there you are back at square 1.

I have made so many strides forward with this 'illness' and so much of them are such positive things, and yet I can still be knocked for six, why?

Have I not reached the acceptance part, although I think I have all the answers am I kidding myself...?

:unsure:

Mully
11-02-09, 02:50
Hi Angie

Yeah, I know exactly how you feel. It is gut wrenching when after a short time of coping and handling the symptoms and learning ways to re train your mind and body to the point you can live a little normaly again.. then POW! You get that slap in the face and that feeling of being taunted by this dam disorder.

You are not alone in this honey, and it is no reflection on you or on anything you have done or not done. It just seems to be the way it goes and there is nothing you can do other than keep the faith, continue forward, and never ever give up.

Personally I think acceptance is the key. Accept that this is going to be part of your life .. for now....

This does not mean that you give up and give in to it. It just means that you accept the challenge this gives you, and no matter what it throws at you, you will get through it, you will survive.
I felt like a huge weight was liften when I finally accepted that I was no longer in full control of myself anymore ! I did not like it, but I knew there was nothing I could do other than to go with the flow and re invent myself so to speak.. It was a huge learning curve.

Huggles x

purplehaze
11-02-09, 04:31
Fear is like a sniper and we all wait for that gun to crack off a shot. We dont know when but in the back of our minds we are forever thinking about it.
Its 4.24am and I'm just back from the 24hr shop and I thought "whats it like to get up in the morning, go through the whole day and fall asleep without panic anxiety"?

What is it like to be normal (and please no one ask what is normal because living like this is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO far from normal)
Today I am p****d off feeling this way and normally am quite positive but like you Angie, one moment its all going ok-ish and wham. BUT and it is a BIG BUT, we need to keep repeating all that we know and not lose hope.
There is an answer to all of this
It may not be a 100% cure but there is an answer that will allow us all to get up in the morning without the fear.

Keep your chin up

kev x

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

Veronica H
11-02-09, 14:46
Hi Angie

I know exactly where you are coming from on this one. I would say that with the help of DR Weekes I am maybe 70% better and still improving. The good periods allow us to forget how powerful a panic attack is and how swift it can strike. We are supposed to practice at such times and not just test to see if we are cured. Dr Weekes still had night time panics occasionally herself but of course she 'accepted' them and did not see them as a set back just normal in the circumstances. I think if you look back to your first attack you will find that you are not back to square one.:bighug1: :bighug1:

Veronica

Angie
11-02-09, 17:52
Guys Thank you all,

Mully I like your choice of words 'challenge' what a positive way of putting it. In so many ways I am a better person for suffering from anx and I have changed my life for the better in so many ways.
I think it is this constant compainion bit that is tiring , having Mr Anx on yor shoulder all the time. But then as you so rightly say I need to accept that he will always be with me and then perhaps he will not be such a presence.

Perhaps not square one then as oddly even though Sunday found me back with Mr Anx sitting on my chest as he used to, this time I knew who he was!

sMINT
12-02-09, 15:34
I often forget what normal feels like, These panic attacks are ruining my life really. Even when Im not having an attack Im constantly thinking about the word "Panic" in my head. 24hours a day, 365 days a year. Panic Panic Panic is all I think about.

Ive never had a coping method either. Nothing works at all.

I tell myself "its just a panic attack, It'll pass". That dont help
I tell myself to allow the panic, Doesnt help either
I use breathing exercises, Also doesnt help lol

Angie
12-02-09, 19:28
Have you tried distraction? that is the one that really works with me....I have started to learn the piano and playing that seems to stop it in its tracks - I seem to remember Meg saying something about the left hand side of the brain.

At a really basic level I talk to someone, anyone and that is sometimes enough.

One thing I think is essential is regular exercise, I only manage half an hour 3 days or so but it really has helped.

sMINT
14-02-09, 18:16
Hi,
I have tried distraction it also never seems to work as even when trying to distract myself I am always thinking about panic :(
I will try to play a game on my phone or soemthing similar but I pay no attention to the game and just focus on my panicking, Not good at all

Also Ive read about talking to people about anything to help them distract themselves, although when I get a panic attack I find talking to people spins me out even more lol. I just want them to shut up sometimes ha.