PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and IBS

Kurukulla
09-02-09, 21:29
Hi there. I feel that I'm at the end of my tether at the moment. I'm experiencing terrible anxiety that's affecting my IBS. I find that as soon as I'm in a situation at work where I'm in a confined space I just need to leave the room: my stomach bloats and I feel like I desperately need the loo. This is now affecting my journey to work on the train and the bus. I dread every day and have to take immodium almost constantly. I have been to the docs who has just changed my meds from mirtazipine (which seemed to have stopped working) to prozac. He says it's anxiety and that the prozac will put an end to it. I'm 4 weeks in with prozac and I feel no different - worse if anything.

I run a large team of 21 and have a good deal of stress. My team come to talk to me about their problems and tell me I'm a good boss. But I just want to scream because no one is listening to me.

I feel so down I struggle to get out of bed now. I feel ashamed, embarrassed and frustrated with my problem because I know I'm doing this to myself. But even though I know that this is in my head - the pain and sensations in my tummy are so real at the time.

I just want to curl up and die.

Please help me. Does anyone have anything similar? How do you cope?

jadeyjade
09-02-09, 21:39
i went through a stage of this, i had to keep dashing home from school (im only 18). its just one of the symptoms and mine soon passed, but i just advise you to relax as much as poss as ive continuosly worried about different health scenarios (thats my worry thing) and the IBS is better but now i have a lot of other symptoms. i think my problem of anxiety has developed into chronic fatigue syndrome. is there anyone who can listen to my big fat story and try to relate/give advice? desperately need it!

Trapped
09-02-09, 22:08
I have IBS its not as bad now though cos anx is flared up in another area.

I took mebeverine, have u tried that?

stellabella
10-02-09, 00:26
Hi, I suffer from exactly this. I find myself thinking of nothing else, but the worse my anxiety is, the worst my ibs is and vice versa. I also live on immodium. I have started taking sertraline and I'm hoping its going to help. At the moment I can't go to work (it involves a long trip on the tube) and feel at the end of my tether!! Hope u find something that works for you. At the moment I feel like I'm the only one in the world feeling like this!!

lilly-lou
10-02-09, 08:46
I am exactly the same and today it is playing up big time and I need to stay at the hospital all day with my daughter, I also have a phobia of using public toilets so my day is going to be fun.

Hugs to you

Cat80
10-02-09, 11:13
I am the same. I have awful anxiety and when I worry my IBS plays up, it's a vicious circle. Not taking anything for it at the moment as just come off some meds and have to wait a month to get them out of my system before I can take anymore. I just want to feel better but I don't feel it's ever going to happen

rocklover
10-02-09, 11:56
I get this all the time. I have had ibs since my teens, but my anxiety has definitely worsened it. I don't work at the mo, so well done you to you for carrying on, I am the same, as soon as i feel trapped, I immediately need the loo. I have an upset tummy most days and I eat immodium like sweets. I wish I could say I have found a way to cope, but I haven't, all I know is that in order to improve the ibs I need to get a handle on my anx.

Worsening ibs and anxiety are often signs that all is not well in your life and it could be signalling that maybe you need to slow down. Do you like your job?

thoughts and actions
10-02-09, 13:46
hey

i have ibs thats triggered by anxiety- i take loperamide on really bad days and i am on mebervine and co-codimol every day.

I also am a team manager and have a team of 12- i dread reviews and things incase i need the toilet- i no i can do my job i just feel when i am anxious the negatibve thoughts take over and feel like a failure.

Mine got better once i spoke to my boss- they changed my hours for me so i can start later on in the day (as mornings can be bad)

Did you know that ibs is covered under the DDA and your employer has a duty of care to ensure they provide you with suport- i also am allowed to use the disabled toilet and can be excempt from certain meetings (even though i have always been able to attend as its more the thought of having to go to things what will trigger me off)

I have an IBS book cant remembre who its buy and also have read and listened to claire weekes- when i come home from work i always have camomile tea and meditate for 10-15 mins and concentrate on breathing- that has helped dramatically

i can give this adivse to you now as im having a good day- last tuesday would have been different lol- its just yet another symptom of anxiety but you are definately not on your own- how many ppl get butterflies in their tummy before an event- unfortunately with anxiety sufferes we look at the fear side and that when the adrenaline kicks in

can i ask all you a question though- do you find that you eat less- little and often when this happens?

xx

Kurukulla
13-02-09, 21:17
Thanks for all of your kind responses. I feel a little better for knowing I'm not alone. I feel a little better today and for the last few days...maybe the prozac is kicking in. To rocklover - no I don't like my job. I'm doing something that most would describe as a career but I never wanted a career, just a way of paying the bills. I would love to start my own dressmaking business or run a bookshop but feel trapped by my circumstances. And I lack the courage to drop the security of the 9-5. I think this is making my anxiety worse to be honest...I feel frustrated and unfulfilled.
To Thoughts and Actions - I tend to stop eating when things get really bad - I'm scared at these times to put anything in my mouth in case it makes the situation worse. Fortunately on prozac I rarely feel hungry and have to force myself to eat.

My heart felt thanks to all of you who have tried to help me. I'm very grateful for your kind words and concern. My best wishes to you all.:hugs: