PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and Anxiety

vastano
10-02-09, 13:38
Does anyone feel that alcohol temporary helps their anxiety by relaxing them and taking thier mind of their problems? I am scared as i feel i am turning to alcohol more often now a days to help relax me. It is a vicious circle though as my anxiety can be even worse the next day.

madinmayo
10-02-09, 14:55
Alcohol does help with my anxiety especially in social situations. But as you say vastano I get awful anxiety and panic attacks the day after ive been drinking.

madinmayo
10-02-09, 14:57
sorry I didnt really answer your question did I? I guess its everything in moderation isnt it? I cant see the harm in a glass of wine at the end of a day but you're right to be aware of the fact that it can easily become a habit.

vastano
10-02-09, 15:00
I am finding i drink most nights now. A couple of glasses of wine and then more at the weekend. It does work and take my mind of my anxiety which i guess in some ways shows that a lot of it is in my mind. My body feels so tense sometimes that i dont know of any other way to relax. I play football a couple of nights a week but i am relying on alcohol to help me in between.

madinmayo
10-02-09, 15:16
How about trying to go a night without wine and see how you get on. If i have wine in the house i drink it so how about not having any in and then you're not tempted. Think of other ways to relax....you play football but what about other exercise or sports you could do.

vastano
10-02-09, 15:23
I have tried that but i have no will power. I end up picking a bottle up on the way home. I used to be very active and play a lot of sport. I have 3 month old boy who takes up a lot of time which i really enjoy spending with him. In that sense i also feel guilty about drinking around him and my wife although i am sensible to a point and not drinking bottles of wine! When i am feeling down with anxiety like just now, i tend to let myself go a bit and constantly worry about my health until one day i snap out of it. I am normally happy and go lucky when i have no anxiety and people notice when i am down. It really is a vicious circle. I think i will go on like this for the rest of my life as i have been dealing with it for so long.

robelros
10-02-09, 15:57
i totally understand, vastano. i think that does help me too... but it is always just a temporary fix (obviously). i know how you feel though, that it is an unhealthy way of dealing with a mental problem. i'm just like you, very outgoing and vibrant when everything is ok, and i have to try SOOOO hard to put up that front when i'm feeling incredibly anxious. i think that a little alcohol doesn't hurt, but if it is what you're turning to to make you feel better, i don't think that's a good thing. it might be a good idea to look into some other medications, maybe?

vastano
10-02-09, 16:04
Yeah possibly. The doctor has always been a bit reluctant to prescribe me anything but he does not fully understand the extent of my anxiety. As you say it is really tough going home to my wife, speaking to friends, colleagues and family. They know something is up with me but i cant really talk to them as much as it helps me to do so. I have tried speaking to my mum who really understands but even she gets tired of me complaining when i have every thing to live for. That in a way makes it really hard for me and i get so angry and down with myself as i am being selfish and self centred until what ever i have goes away. Total nightmare.

robelros
10-02-09, 17:48
i totally understand where you're coming from, i really do. it is really an awful affliction that we have, and i wish i had words of wisdom to make it better but i don't. i'm about to start reading a book i ordered - i will post if i find it worthwhile. i'm also about to start looking for a good therapist. maybe that would be helpful for you too. in any case, i hope it makes you feel just a little bit better knowing that i'm not the only one out there who feels this way. i know that it helps me to know it!

vastano
10-02-09, 19:44
Hi Robelros. Thank you for getting in touch. It really does make me feel better knowing that there are people like yourself in the same situation. It really does wear you down. I guess in a funny way we are very strong minded people because we have to deal with very strong feelings of being scared etc that "normal" people dont have to go through. We have to deal with so many different feelings and visit to the doctor that a lot of people would find really tough to cope with. I am going to a chiropracter tomorrow to see if he can sort my back although i am sure it is just tension. Anything to make me feel positive. Cheers, Stephen

robelros
11-02-09, 02:05
that's great stephen- good luck at the doctor. i agree with you, we are very strong to deal with the things that we do on a daily basis. try not to feel so selfish, or that you have so much going for you and you're ruining it with these thoughts. obviously this is something that nobody would ever chooose to deal with. to me, this is just as real and out of our control as depression or other mental illnesses. just as somebody with depression gets help through counseling and medication or whatnot, we too have to get help to make ourselves better. it is just a lot of work and in the meantime, is exhausting to live like this. i just got a book i ordered in the mail today - stop worrying about your health, how to quit obsessiong about symptoms and feel better now, written by george zgourides. i will post if i find that it is very helpful, i'm really hoping that it is. take care and good luck.

macca78
12-02-09, 16:38
I sympathise with everyone in this viscious cycle. I spent over 12 months trying to get out of it and feel I'm sliding back down there. Yes it does relieve anxiety but makes it worse afterwards. The night after lots of alcohol I can't sleep because I get dozens of little panic attacks and palpatations.

leon_telford
12-02-09, 16:57
It helps, but the hang over after is a nightmare!

jojo74
12-02-09, 17:00
Hi

I can totally emapathise with the use of alcohol and it's benefit for relieving anxiety in the short term. Before i had my breakdown in 2005, i suffered anxiety, but was unaware of it since a child. I had anxieties about my appearance, pleasing others the list is endless. I used to drink very heavily when out socially as i wanted to appear confident, this went on for over 10 years. As i got nearer my 30's my hangovers were terrible and panic and anxiety attacks began to ocurr. I still drank, knowing it would make me ill the next day. Since my breakdown i have learnt that alcohol is actually a stimulant on the central nervous system. It encourages panic and anxiety even though at the time of drinking it gives relief, the long term consequences will lead to escalation of panic and anxiety. Anxiety suffers need to sedate their nervous systems and stimulants like alcohol, caffeine and certain foods can trigger anxiety symptoms. I no longer drink alcohol and have changed to de-caffeniated drinks. My anxiety is still with me, but if i touch either of these my symptoms are exaggerated. I will have the odd glass of wine, but drinking in excess is a big no no for me. I know it is difficult, we reach our for anything that helps. If i had CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) years ago, i don't think i'd have needed to drink so much or work myself to a nervous breakdown. I really wouldn't under-estimate psychological therapies especially CBT in the management of anxiety and it really does help. It helps with thoughts and anxious thinking. Much better than alcohol :):) :)

xxxxxx

Dominic1975
12-02-09, 17:16
I agree with jojo74.... I have suffered from anxiety from a child which resulted in panic attacks 2 years ago.... CBT has helped me manage my anxiety, but I no longer drink alcohol (accept a the odd glass of wine if I go out for a meal), I stopped smoking and only have a couple of cups of tea a day... My anxiety is so much better now

jojo74
12-02-09, 17:54
Yeh Dominic i forgot cigarettes...they too have the same effect. It's the substances you are consuming that have an effect on the body's chemistry... it's just about avoiding stimulants, intime you learn what these are and can eradicate them. It's a case of dealing with the fact you have anxiety and making life style changes to adapt. Yeh seems a right bugga when you can't drink but i'd rather that than endure the awful attacks of anxiety it generates :)