PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone

cycloneuk
16-07-05, 21:20
I discovered this forum a few days ago so i thought it was best i signed up and introduced myself.

My name is Paul and i'm 22, ive suffered with social anxiety for many years but only mildy, i only discovered what it was a few months ago.

Ive been a bit panicy for a few years, i started to suffer from Tinnitus 3 months ago and was just learning to get to grips with it and bam i'm hit with severe anxiety.

I started to feel funny 8 months ago in certain situations such has queing in argos mainly when i'm at the till and also in the supermarket, for the last 3 months ive started to go dizzy a little when in the supermarket and i just thought it was because i hadn't eatten much before going shopping, things started to go slowly down hill and i started to get the trembles, sweating, fast heartbeat and feel faint.

I went to my doctors and told him about this and he give me Propranolol, i though i was doing great on it and on the 8th day i went into town and walked into a shop with my g/f and instantly felt faint and had to get out, it just came out of know where and i wasn't exspecting it, i think the main reason i wasn't exspecting it is because the Propranolo were masking the other symptoms so i had no warning.

Now i'm scared to go out havent been out for 6 days, my doctor has now given me paxil which i havent started to take yet because i'm worried about sides.

The things ive been doing lately are some self hypnosis and also learning to relax. I relize this is getting a bit long for an introduction so i'll finish here.

seh1980
16-07-05, 21:36
hi Paul,

Welcome aboard!! :)

It sounds like you have been having a tough time lately. It seems that you are suffering from agoraphobia though maybe only mildly. I once didn't leave the house for three months. Trust me, you don't want to let yourself get into that routine. The longer you don't get out and about, the harder it will be for you to do so. You don't need to be scared about taking Paxil. Sure, there are side-effects but they shouldn't last too long and if the meds work, then it will have been worth it..

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

cycloneuk
16-07-05, 21:44
Thanks seh1980,

Yes i think i may be suffering from agoraphobia mildly, since that incident in town it really shook me up, i dont know wheather its just me but when i was on the Propranolol i think that made the dizzyiness and fainting feeling worse ive never had it that bad, i'm definatly going to try and start going out again even if its just a quick walk to begin with, ive been reading up about Paxil and it seems to be one of the best and has really helped people.

I know they dont necasary cure the problem completely, but if they work for me then i plan on putting myself in all the situations where ive had panick attacks has many times has i can, do you think thats a good way to move forward? Sooner or later my unconscious mind has to learn that certain places and situations are not threatening

seh1980
16-07-05, 22:04
You have a great attitude and that will help. Good luck!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

florence
16-07-05, 22:09
Hi Paulb

Welcome to the forum, I really hope that you 'll get loads of support here and I am sure you 'll find many people who can relate and understand what you go thru.

Florence.

**Don't believe everything you think .**

adele
16-07-05, 22:17
hi - my panic attacks started in just the same way - feeling faint and strange when queing in shops etc. i started to get chest pains and palpitations and then full blown panic attacks, this is over the last couple of months or so.
i too feel dodgy about going out - but after reading all the advice on this site, plucked up courage to take the dog around the block this morning - went ok, so went to a friends house with hubby and kids this eveing, she knows alll about what is going on, so i stayed for a couple of hours and then came home before i started to fell unwell - i think little and often is the best way.
take care
adele

clickaway
17-07-05, 11:14
Welcome to the site Paul,

I'm glad you've found us so early on, as there is loads of support and advice here.

Getting jittery in queues and outside our comfort zone is pretty common.

Keep posting and learning,

Ray

Don't wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you've got to make yourself.--Alice Walker

pips
17-07-05, 12:41
Hi Paul,

A Warm welcome to the site I do hope it helps you.

Take care,

Love PIP'S X

denise84
17-07-05, 12:58
hi paul and welcome, i also have all the symptoms you have described, been having them since i was 18 which was 3 years ago.my doctoer also put me on propranolol 80mg, and it does nothing to help me just gives me dodgy side effects so i dont take them any more. currently im not on any med and im coping just fine................touch wood. good luck any way and please join us in chat, its a great laugh.x.

dmcgovern

pinkscrumpy
17-07-05, 16:13
Hi Paul

Welcome to the site

:D:D:D

MANDIE XX

Meg
17-07-05, 18:38
Hello Paul,

What you're describing is the most common way anxiety progresses to panic and then on to agoraphobia as a next step because of the avoiding.

You are onto the right path with you deciding to go out for a quick walk firstly.

Adele- spot on - small steps are the key to regaining long lasting confidence and overcoming this.

First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Start here and do ask any questions you want to . No matter about the length at all.

Medication as you rightly say will not cure it but can give you a break from feeling so awful so you can help yourself.

Paxil - seroxat has had a lot of bad press. It has helped millions of people world wide- the biggest issues can be getting off it but many don't find it hard at all but if you'd prefer there are other SSRI's which are reputedly easier to get on and off.

We're here to help so do ask anything you want to.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

cycloneuk
17-07-05, 23:31
Thank you everyone for a warm welcome, i'll be joining in the chat soon.

leo05
18-07-05, 18:09
hi and welcome

feel free to pm me anytime

leanne (leo05)[8D]

nomorepanic
18-07-05, 18:19
Hi Paul

Welcome aboard the forum.

I hope once you realise that these things can't harm you you will be able to go back and do them all again.

Feel free to ask any questions you want to.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

kate H
19-07-05, 22:45
Hi,

I too have just found this site and am releived to see I am not th eonly one. My name is Kate im 21 and have been suffering with anxiety for around 3 months It started when I was on holiday I started to feel really distant like I was on another planet. A few days later I started to get palpitation dry mouth, sweats and thinking I was going to drop to the floor any minute. I am now having to deal with depersonalization as a result but am determined to try and beat it without medication, have taken some time out from work which did help and am now trying to make the most of the good days.However I do feel sometimes that I will always be like this. If anyone has any advise I would be really grateful as im starting to get to a point where I can no longer cope

sal
19-07-05, 23:21
Hi Paul

Great you have joined us mate.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

lainey
20-07-05, 09:15
Hi Paul

Welcome to the site, you'll get loads of help and support here. You seem to have a very positive attitude towards beating this, we are a ll here to help.

Take care

Elaine x

michelleann
20-07-05, 13:56
hi paul welcome to the forum just like you i have severe panic attacks while queing in shops, this is a real struggle for me as i find it really hard to keep control and not run out of the shop! lets hope we both beat this with all the help and advice from this site its been a god send for me since i found it only a week ago[8D]its already starting to help.
michelle
:D:D:D