PDA

View Full Version : OTT with alcohol

LittleRach24
10-02-09, 14:16
I haven't been on the site for ages cos I thought that I was doing ok and that I was in control.

However the last few times I have been out I have got drunk out of my skull, been paranoid and then become hysterical, telling everyone to get away from me when they try to comfort me and even telling my husband that he is too good for me. I don't understand why this is happening now, and why I am pushing away the best person in my life, the one who knows me the best and loves me despite my faults. I really don't want to lose him.

I am trying to harness the power of positive thought (!) and have vowed to lay off the drink, but I am still feeling anxious (when sober), I just want to get on with my life and be happy, but every time I think I am on the right track, it all seems to start going wrong again. :mad:

mary671
10-02-09, 19:56
Hi LittleRach24 -sorry to hear you're not having a good time of late. I think all us anxiety sufferers know that alcohol is the worst to play havoc with our already frazzled nerves - the two just don't mix :blush:

I've been there done it so many times! It is so easy to reach for it when we know it gives some relief for a short time. I drank heavily for nearly 10 years and got into a vicious circle with it. Since August last year I've done well with changing my pattern and can't believe I don't reach for a drink so quickly now. I'm not going to waste time regretting all the things I've done when drunk - I just look forward to all the nice times I've got to look forward to when sober and I know I'm a far nicer person for it. Don't get me wrong, I feel really down at times but I've noticed I can pick myself up a lot quicker than when I was drinking. When suffering from anxiety, I know I can't think straight and it'sa faster downward spiral to a point that I can't easily get out of.

Just try to pamper yourself, eat well, drink loads of water and put your feet up. Do let us know how you get on.

Mary xx

staple
10-02-09, 20:07
Hi LittleRach24
Alcohol at times can be very depressive and it has at times for me if I overdo the drink been depressive.
If one is on any medicine it can have a big effect as the two dont mix very well. Its good to hear you say you are on the right track and dont be to hard on yourself as its ok to now and then go off the straight and narrow
Mike

Blot
10-02-09, 20:28
Hi,

I am not a big alcohol drinker so my experience is limited. I am fond of a white wine spritzer ( a little wine & alot of sparkling mineral water).Even this small amount of alcohol is a stimulent for me,increases my heartrate.So, if I am already anxious & my heartrate is up,I tend to get a panic attack. As a result I rarely drink anymore as I just do not like how I feel.Hope this helps.

I really feel for you as one wants to just "let one's hair down" & forget the struggle with anxiety at times. Hang in there!

:hugs:

sandy35
10-02-09, 20:37
Ive been there myself and I used to be a heavy drinker as i thought it would alleviate my anxiety but it only made it worse!!!!! This was before I got proper help from my doctor and then therapist and then put on propanolol and citalopram. I have been advised by my therapist to keep alcohol to a minimum which i am able to do when i am in my right mind but unfortunately a couple of days before xmas i had a relapse and i spent my xmas and new year period being really ill because of it. Since then, I haven't been out that much but when I have I have really managed to cut my drinking down and I also make sure that I never keep any alcohol in the house at all which I was doing and I must admit how ill the alcohol left my feeling when I had my relapse did really frighten the hell out of me and also left me feeling very anxious and hopefully this time I will follow the advice ive been given and keep alcohol to a minimum. I wish you well in your recovery and please let us know how you are doing from time to time.