View Full Version : Quitting Smoking

kenboon
10-02-09, 14:44
Hiya

I was wondering if anyone could give some advice on quitting smoking. I have been wanting to stop for some time and i'v currently got a chest infection which seems to be smoking related, so i think its a good time to give it a real go. Anyone got some experience on this and has it helped with anxiety levels?

Thanks

Ken

bottleblond
10-02-09, 15:00
Ken

I will move the thread to the Misc section of the forum. I hope you get lots of replies and support.

Regards

Lisa
NMP Administrator

madinmayo
10-02-09, 15:11
hi Ken,

I gave up smoking nearly 2 years ago after smoking 20 a day for 16 years.

The truth is that there really isnt a secret to giving up or a fail safe way, you just have to make the decision to stop and stick to it.

Everyone's different but this is what I did.....

* Make the decision to stop...you have to really want to otherwise it wont work!

* Get rid of lighters, cigs, ashtrays etc

* Avoid situations that will make you smoke for the first few days until you're over the initial withdrawl.

* Dont let people smoke around you,

* Use willpower......nicotine replacement didnt work for me

* Read Allen Carr's books

It does get easier! My anxiety is better than it used to be but I'm not sure if this is related to me stopping smoking or not.....but it must have helped!!

sunshine-lady
10-02-09, 23:31
My hubby and myself both gave up jan 08. My hubby was a very heavy smoker and I smoked 20 per day. We both quit with the help of the nicotine replacement patches and the support from each other.

I agree with Tetley that you should go to your GPs stop smoking clinics as there are quite a few newer products available including a new medication calle Champix.

Good luck xxx

PHOBIA MAN
11-02-09, 01:09
Apart from being told "quit or die" from your doctor, Hypnotherapy is the most effective way to quit without the need for willpower, however make sure you are very serious about never wanting to go near a cig again, because your hypnotherapist cannot make you quit unless YOU want to.
He/She will address cravings, and will see to it you do not turn to food etc to substitute for the lack of cigs, this is called sympom substitution.
They are likely to ask if there is a food, smell or sensation that you HATE in order to link it to smoking to 'put you off' have a think in the meantime!
contact me if you've any questions about it.
This is the most important health decision you can do if you are a smoker.
as for the drugs and patches you still need willpower and some side effects have been known, but whatever you do MAKE A COMMITMENT, AND STICK TO IT!! I hear emphysema is a pi**er!!

CJH86
11-02-09, 07:22
Hi, i gave up about a month ago after several previous attempts, i was convinced giving up made my anxiety worse....but this seemed to be consistent with my caffiene intake, i researched it and found out when you take the nicotine out of your body you can become less tolerant to caffiene so id definately advise to avoid caffiene!!

Id advise nicotine replacement therepy from your GP, i think they still prescribe more than one item for 1 prescription charge (which means it works out cheaper)....although i chose to go cold turkey! I think overall it reduces anxiety in the longer term as carbon monoxide levels from smoking have been linked to anxiety and panic attacks. Getting into the mentality of accepting that you will never smoke again is a good idea, what i did which i DO NOT recommend was frighten myself into quitting (i have HA)..i have to learn about COPD, heart disease and lung cancer at university anyway so by doing a little extra reading around this it frightened me into never smoking again :scared15:

good luck x

bottleblond
11-02-09, 11:32
Phobic man

I respect that Hypnotherapy may be your thing and YOU believe that is the best way forward, however i don't think brow beating people or using the 'fear factor' is the best way to promote your industry.

Regards

Lisa

kenboon
11-02-09, 18:27
Thanks for the replies. Going to give some gum ago tommorow, i'v also got an inhalator :) I still have not heard anything back from the Guy that runs the course locally,but hoping he will make contact soon. I'm determined to stop this time and hopefully kick the habit.

Ken

bottleblond
11-02-09, 18:46
Ken

Very best of luck with that. :hugs:

Please let us know how you get on.

Lisa
xx

sarah1972
13-02-09, 22:15
I gave up 4 months ago ( I smoked 20 per day) I downloaded Max Kirsten's Cd and read allan carr's book, I found it quite easy except I have put on some weight.
I do feel really relaxed though and think it has been a great benefit for anxiety.

kenboon
14-02-09, 18:40
I gave up 4 months ago ( I smoked 20 per day) I downloaded Max Kirsten's Cd and read allan carr's book, I found it quite easy except I have put on some weight.
I do feel really relaxed though and think it has been a great benefit for anxiety.

Cheers for that info :)

Just grabbing a video of his now. Unfortunatly I'm still smoking, but i have cut down alot before i stop completely.

Cheers for the replies

Ken

kilvosa
14-02-09, 22:05
Hi There
I have been on the champix for nearly 4 weeks now and have been smoke free for two weeks. The tablets are really good a few side effects but you just dont want to smoke and if you do(i tried it) it makes the cig taste horrible. Ive been on zyban 7 years ago and i think champix is so much better. Good luck
Take care
Anne x

kenboon
16-02-09, 13:19
Been going cold turkey since saturday night. Damn its so hard to give up smoking :( But so far i have managed not to have any nicotene product at all since then. I'm hoping this is as bad as it gets :(

On the video i watched it said it was best to go cold turkey, rather than keep feeding the nicotene craving. Could someone tell me how long do these withdrawel symptoms last or is it a peice of string type question? I'm like a bear with a soar head atm and very snappy towards the mrs especially.

Thanks

Ken

shortstuff
16-02-09, 13:48
I did the Allan Carr method in Jan 08. I had failed miserably several times, but this time it was easy because I meant it. One of the things that seemed to fail me every time before was the feeling of terror that I had no cigs in the house - I'd thrown them all away. What if I had an emergency?? (Wierd but true). Anyway, this time I left the remaining 7 cigs in the box on the fireplace. Every time I thought "I need a cig", I went to the box and challenged myself - "Well have one, if you REALLY want one, have one". Guess what, I never REALLY wanted one. I was craving nicotine but didn't WANT to smoke.

I know this method is risky, but I'm a stubborn sort of person and this worked for me. If I'm told (even by myself) that I can't do/have something, then I will go out of my way to prove the opposite. Taking the CAN'T, WON'T, SHOULDN'T aspect out proved my salvation. :ohmy:

BTW I gave the remaining cigs away to a skint colleague in the summer.

You need to do whatever works for you.

Good luck :bighug1:

Beccy
16-02-09, 15:14
Hi Ken, I am on day 8 and going cold turkey. I have tried patches and tablets but they haven't worked. I am just going to be brave and get on with it myself. I am trying for a baby which is the incentive but it doesn't make it any less hard. Saturday I was really struggling but cravings only last a couple of minutes so I have learnt to work through them. I try and do something constructive like brush my dogs or clean. At work I just avoid break times when I know people are smoking, I will have a wonder down the lane or make a call. By the time I have done that break is over and there is no time to smoke.
I really wish you luck, I know the first few weeks will be the hardest but this past week has flown by and I did it!! I am sure you a too!!

kenboon
16-02-09, 22:28
Cheers for the replies :)

Still doing well :) The cravings seem to be coming in waves at the moment. It's not too dissimilar to fighting anxiety I'm finding and like you say Beccy, if i am focusing on something else it eases off alot. Still find it quite hard around the mrs as shes a smoker. But i'm going to keep hanging on in there :)

Ken

MrDoll
17-02-09, 00:00
I quit nearly 2 years ago.
My advise would be to really try and cut down 1st as i stopped dead
but that can be bad for you if your a heavy smoker.
Using gum and a inhaler are good too as they'll help give you the nicatin your body will be craving.
Good luck

kenboon
17-02-09, 20:50
Thanks for the reply :)

I'v put on nearly half a stone in 3 days :ohmy: which for saying i was around 10 stone mark before is quite alot :wacko: Not feeling as bad today craveing wise, but I have been feeling quite anxious today :mad:.

I was quite a heavy smoker 20-30 a day. Have i done the wrong thing then just stopping? I mean am i harming myself in some way gaining weight so fast and just stopping smoking.

Thanks

Ken

kenboon
13-03-09, 21:04
Almost 4 weeks now since i had a ciggie. Not feeling too bad now :) I still get the odd little urge, but nothing like the first week. I can now be around other smokers and not want a one too :)

Ken

Nechtan
13-03-09, 22:56
Well done Ken, :yesyes:

Plans are afoot for my own final crunching up of the last packet. And they must be good plans as they have been on the go for for a few years now. This week coming though I will finally give it a go. I'll be honest though for all its cons its one of the very few enjoyments I have so I'm not looking forward to it but it must be done.

Cheers

Nechtan

saragrace
16-03-09, 04:39
Hi,

I gave up smoking almost 2 weeks ago because I was going to have surgery. I am now chewing nicorette gum and that is helping. I also try playing games on my cell phone when I need to keep my hands busy, lol. Good luck and hope we all have continued success.

Take care,

Saragrace