PDA

View Full Version : Not getting any better!

helen__w
16-07-05, 22:15
Hi everyone

My swallowing problem is getting worse every day and I cant swallow even the smallest lumps! Today I've been having really bad chest pains and I thought I was having a heart attack! I've really become very irrational and my throat feels like it is getting tighter and I can't face eating which is annoying cos I love food! I'm really hungry all the time which is really depressing!

It is really ruining my life at the moment and I just cant see it getting any better! I've ordered some self-hynosis CD's so I hope they will help!

Sorry to sound so miserable!

Helen

adele
16-07-05, 22:20
hi helen - i have this problem as well, tight and painful chest, "lumpy" feeling throat,like tonsilitis but without the painful tonsils. mine doesnt start until the evening, every evening, i thought it might be a side effect of the beta blockers i am taking but i dont know.
the chest pains are the worst though for me, theycome and go as they please and it is really frightening.
take care
adele

helen__w
16-07-05, 22:29
Hi adele

I know what you mean about the tonsils. The doctor put me on antibiotics because my tonsils are large and she said I have tonsilitis but I dont have a sore throat or any other symptoms of tonsilitis! I am going to go back on Monday to see if she can see any other problem.

I hope your chest pains get better too as I know how scary they can be, have you seen the doctor about it?

Take care x

BrandyK
17-07-05, 08:28
Hi Helen,

Try not to think about it and it wont happen! The more you think about it the worse it gets. I also got chest pains and I don't worry about it anymore and I dont get them as frequent!

Brandy

"Never give up the Fight!"

henri
17-07-05, 11:18
Hi Helen,
Have you tried relaxation exercises? I had the same swallowing problem and my therapist explained to me that it was because my throat muscles were so tense. You have to try relaxation exercises such as abdominal breathing or relaxation cds.
When i had swallowing issues i also couldn't eat and i just had all my food blended. Sounds gross, but a bit of meat and potato soup through the blender is not that bad!
I hope the self hypnosis cds work. If you tackle this problem then i promise you it will get better.
Take care,
Henri

mjh74
17-07-05, 11:40
Hi Helen,

I still have the swallowing and throat issue too. In the early stages it was bad and I coudln't bear to eat. I am now able to eat with no problems at all so things have gotton better. They will for you too, it just takes time to accept the feeling that you have and work on relaxing. I worked hard at taking the fear away from eating and just did it and after a while I could do it with no problems.

Mark

Meg
17-07-05, 19:46
Helen,

If you do have tonsilitis then it wil feel like your throat is all tonsils and very full..

Try sucking ice cubes, it may help.

Adele - this is not to do with betablockers.

Mark - its great that you can see these improvements now

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

adele
26-07-05, 13:29
hi helen thanks for your reply! i have just come back from hospital, saw cardio doc. had chest x ray and ecg all fine, will have to wear a halter ecg thingy for 24 hours starting this thursday as well. doc thinks it is stress and anxiety.
i wish someone would come up with a cure!
how is your throat? mine seems a little better - i have been doing slow relaxing breathing each day, and if i start to get a painful chest or throat i try to relax the muscle where the pain is, it seems to be working - i still want my old life back tho! where i didnt have to worry about worrying!

helen__w
27-07-05, 12:24
Hi Adele

I'm glad your x-ray and ECG came back fine.

I have a barium swallow on friday which I'm not really looking forward to, but hopefully it wont show anything and maybe it will put my mind at rest!

I tried Glen Harolds self-hypnosis CD for fears and phobias yesterday and it relaxed me SO much, but when he was saying to release the fear I still kept battling that there might be something wrong! I am going to try doing this every day as I saw a slight improvement yesterday and hope that over time I will improve each day. Have you tried self-hypnosis? If not, give it a go as I was more relaxed than I can ever remember being!

I am starting to feel better because I have discovered these drinks called Complan, which are nutritional drinks aimed at giving you all the daily nutrients you need. So my aim is that as I get stronger I will have the confidence to try eating solid foods!

Let me know how it goes on Thursday when you have to wear that halter for your ecg test - I hope it all goes well.

Helen x

seh1980
27-07-05, 13:21
hi Helen,

Good luck on Friday!! I'm sure the results will come back ok. Glad to hear that the Complan drinks are helping you..

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal