PDA

View Full Version : flying and vallium/citalopram

jenny007
11-02-09, 00:14
Hi everyone,
Im a new member here, first of all its great and such a relief to realise other people are going through some of the same thing! Phew!!!

Secondly, even though i have done alot of long haul flights before, years ago now, my doctor has just put me on 20 mg of citalopram per day fpr anxiety and panick attacks, the side effects arnt too great but im sticking with it, The important thing is i have to go to the middle east for 10 days in March, im terrified i might have a panick attack on the plane, i was thinking of taking a vallium before i got on, would it mix well with citalopram? And i also read that you should stay out of direct sunlight too, as Dubai is one of the hottest desserts there is, is it actually a good idea to go? Im so scared of the 7 hour flight when your stuck in the plane surrounded by lots of people and you cannot escape, just thinking of it now terrifys me!...any tips or advice would be great!

Anxious_gal
11-02-09, 00:48
I don't see why you can't take both meds together. but I would take the Valium when your at home, some where safe just for a test run.
if your not used to taking Valium, a test run would but your mind at rest and you'd know what to expect when you take it for the flight.
even if you do panic on the plane you will be ok
Music helps me lots on planes, particularly rock music as it makes me less scared for some reason,
bring a journal so you can write down what your thinking.
also write yourself a note before hand, telling your self you'll be ok, and positive things so you can read it when your on the plane.
bring a little teddy bear or anything comforting

Mully
11-02-09, 02:31
One of the most awful things in having anxiety/pa disorder is that you can so easily get yourself tied up in knots. You become afraid of the fear and then hung up on the ' what ifs'..

Remember, that you have done this before and it was 'OK' .. so there is no reason why it should not be so again. Try and stay positive .

Make sure when you go you have everything you need to hand like book, music, something that makes you feel good, like photos,a security blanket type item :) even a cuddly toy like M said.

As for staying out of the sun, I have not heard that one before, but if it's any help, I personally have had no problem sunbathing!

I agree with Mishel, Take a Valium before you go, to test how it makes you feel. I would advise however that you ask your Doctor first if you can take these two together, but in my own personal experience I too was ok with Citalopram and Valium when I had to take V for a short time.

Huggles x

suzy-sue
11-02-09, 14:20
Hi jenny! im taking citalopram and have also been given valium to take as & when needed.As for the sun..some people get sunburnt easier whilst taking this,so pack a very high factor sun cream,im sure you"d do that any way. Im sure you"ll be fine ,enjoy yourself...suzy:hugs: :welcome:

sunshine-lady
11-02-09, 22:22
Hi Jenny and welcome to NMP

I have never taken Citalopram so can not comment on that, however I do take Diazepam (valium) and have taken it while taking various other medications with no adverse effects.

I am pleased that you have found us and am sure you will enjoy it here as there is so much help, advice and information. Chat is a great place to make new friends and there is a very informal quiz each Saturday evening.

Take care xxx

Dominic1975
11-02-09, 23:41
Im the same as you..... i have flown many time long haul and then after getting panic attacks I was in fear of getting on even short flights.... I kept putting off holidays to avoid the flights!!! Last year I decided I was going away and did a test run of vallium before I went... but decided I would do the flight willout it
I got myself a relaxation CD, which I listened to before the flight and during take off.. I then got a talking book, as I find it hard to read when I am anxious, I just cant concentrate on the word... This helped me take my mind off things
I took some Bach rescue remedy just to take the edge off and stay calm, plus breathed deeply whenever I felt a little panicky
I then used the games on my mobile phone to further distract me.... I was fine and actually felt a lot calmer about the flight home

jenny007
12-02-09, 00:14
Thanks guys, there are alot of helpfull tips there, i am just thinking of all the good fun things i will get up to when i get there, but i will certainly take a good book, my ipod, a blanket and other distacting bits, thankyou for the helpfullness. I just gotta think, whats the worst that can happen!!?? And i know flight attendants are used to people not enjoying flights, like in the film French Kiss...but meg ryan just gets drunk on the flight instead. I wont be doing that. Merci!

jojo74
12-02-09, 01:03
HI JENNY

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK WITH DRUG LAWS I KNOW YOU CAN GET LOCKED UP FOR TAKING PARACETEMOL TO DUBAI. WE WERE DOWN TO FLY TO MALDIVES IN MARCH BUT I FELL PREGNANT I AM TAKING VALIUM 8MG A DAY AND WAS WARNED TO CHECK WITH ANY DRUG YOU TAKE INTO THIS COUNTRY THE DRUG LAWS ARE VERY STRICT....YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TAKE VALIUM INTO THIS COUNTRY...I THINK IT IS NECESSARY TO GET THE CORRECT CLEARANCE WITH ANY DRUGS YOU NEED TO TAKE INTO DUBAI. SORRY DON'T MEAN TO ALARM YOU BUT IT'S A VERY STRICT COUNTRY AND LIKE ME MY DRUGS WERE THE LAST THING ON MY MIND I WAS MORE CONCERNED ABOUT FLYING, BUT NOW I AM EXPECTING IT'S ALL CANCELLED ...
btw i have taken valium and citalopram. I have drug sensitivity and had horrible side effects on the citalopram. Diazepam eased these, but in the end it was realised i was not suited to citalporam, you seem to be coping fine.
Not every drug or dosage suits certain individuals...i was just unlucky.
Anyway take care and enjoy your Holiday :):)

jenny007
12-02-09, 17:35
hey JoJo, thanks for the advice, i just need to get a letter from the doctor srating i am allowed to be taking the meds, but vallium is illegal there, so im wishing it wasn't!! Good luck with the baby! :)

weeble40
12-02-09, 22:33
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx