PDA

View Full Version : NAUSEA/ STOMACH PAINS

Laurie28
17-12-03, 12:12
Does anyone else get nausea/stomach pains relating to anxiety??
I think i read a post about it

I have been feeling sick for 2 days (but not any more anxious than usual) I am also gettig stomach pains (not crippling but sore)

The thing about anxiety is I don't know when the pains are because of anxiety or something else!!!!

Lucky

Lottie32
17-12-03, 12:32
Hi Lucky

I feel nauseous and have "tummy grumbles" alot of the time. I suffer from IBS which is obviously linked in with my anxiety. Last week I felt nauseous all week.

I find that the following helps to settle everything down:

1. drink plenty of water
2. herbal tea - particularly peppermint and ginger
3. eat regularly, little and often
4. don't let yourself get too hungry - a hungry over acidic stomach can make you feel nauseous which stops you wanting to eat, which makes you feel worse
5. charcoal tablets (available from the health food shop) they don't work for everybody but help relieve nausea in a lot of people (be careful though - they can make your motions turn black, so don't go thinking you've suddenly developed bowel cancer!!)
6. Moilium 10 or similar anti-emetic, available over the counter from pharmacies
7. ensure that you go to the toilet regularly. Remember that constipation, and also "holding it in" can also make you feel nauseous
8. watch what you eat - avoid too much fried food, and eat plenty of wholegrains, fruit and vegetables. Avoid the battered Mars bars!
9. Oh and of course exercise!!! (Now I'm a convert I can preach !!!)
10. And last but not least, make sure you are getting enough rest and relaxation

I put a post on here the other month - think it was in Top Tips about stopping feeling sick.

Hope this helps

It's really horrible walking round feeling sick all the time. Luckily, I'm feeling better this week (the B Complex and the gym already taking effect????)

Charlie

Meg
17-12-03, 12:34
The nausea used to come right after the tummy muscles heavily contracted or if I was worrying about something for a while and as it it came closer I got more worried.

It is a very common symptom of nervousness.

For me I found I was awallowing air and a fizzy drink really helped release it. Also keep eating small amounts even if you don't feel like it . Your body will still produce acid so needs something to work on.

Keep with it Lucky, it does pass.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Laurie28
17-12-03, 13:07
Thanks Guys,

I'll try out some of your tips. And I have strted back my usual 'snacking' today as thought that might be the problem (just eating meals)

I didn't realize that constipation could cause nausea!!!

Anyho i will sit here and munch on my pork pies and drink my irn-bru and see how i feel later!!

Love
lucky

Lottie32
17-12-03, 13:58
Lucky

Don't know if it does in general, but I know when I'm bad with my IBS, if I get constipated I feel sick. When I've been I don't. Think Meg also wrote a short while back that is sometimes known for people to feel nauseous after they have passed a bowel movement, something to do with the abdominal muscles and contraction. I will see if I can find it.

Pork Pie and Irn Bru - ughh - it's enough to make me feel sick right now! You must have cast iron guts LOL

Love

Charlie

Laurie28
17-12-03, 15:48
It's weird thatt you mentioned constipation as i am slightly.
And what's wrong with pork pies and iron bru (pork pies must be cold though as i can't stand heated ones!!)
I've always had good guts (until now!!)

love
lucky

Lottie32
17-12-03, 15:57
Yuck

All that pink meat and greasy fat. And don't even get me started on Irn Bru - is it still made from girders.

I was once the soberest person at a party, as we drunk the place dry, and the only thing left was Irn Bru WKD. What a waste of vodka!

To be honest, even the thought of Irn Bru and a pork pie is making me feel sick, so maybe you shouldn't be worrying at all!!!! Go find an apple! LOL

Love

Charlie

Laurie28
17-12-03, 16:09
Of course irn-bru is still made from girders!!!!!!

Do agree about the irn -bru and vodka though - yuck

Pork pies are yummy!!!

Love
lucky

Meg
17-12-03, 16:33
Lucky,

Many people do feel more anxious overall when they're consipated and this can contribute to the nausea and churny tummy.

Equally when that's all gone and everything has moved on down quickly it takes the innards a while to readjust and can cause a different sort of tummy ache/disturbance .

I hope this passes quickly for you.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Lottie32
17-12-03, 16:45
Thanks Meg

I have just looked for the post where I thought I'd read your comments relating to this issue, and couldn't find it. So then I convinced myself I'd dreamt it, was going cuckoo again.

Charlie

benoo5
17-12-03, 18:02
i could eat pork pies 24/7...they do minature ones now,and they go in my ever increasing lunch box.

hope you feel better soon,try cuddling a hot water bottle at nite..no,not hubby lol.

best wishes bryan.

Scaredtoolong
17-12-03, 21:05
Hi Lucky,

I had a real problem with the nausea. Only had pains sometimes. The grumbling came when the IBS was so intense. Radar's fizzy drinks advice fixed the nausea for me. The pains have since vanished and the IBS is also gone. I attribute all this to my recovery. Funny though how strongly connected our minds, stomachs and IBS symptoms are. HOpe this helps.

Hugs, Susan

uryjm
17-12-03, 21:07
I've noticed before that having an upset stomach can bring on anxiousness (but not the other way 'round, for me). I've often wondered what the connection is that I'm making between the two.

Jim

twister
17-12-03, 21:11
thats where the saying 'a gut feeling' and 'butterflies in the stomach' come from. Your stomach health is very closely connected to stress levels and anxiety....

Emily

Lottie32
18-12-03, 10:13
Jim - I am the same

I think its because the digestive system is such a large and important part of the body, when it isn't "behaving" it's virtually impossible to ignore.

When my "tummy is bad", I don't feel good, and avoid doing things. It makes me anxious. I have recently been trying to fight this, and went Xmas shopping to the local city, despite having quite a bad attack of IBS, and being "aware" of my stomach all day.

I survived (of course I was always going to), and have got alot braver about going out when my "tum" isn't right. Consequently, I've been generally feeling better.

Sometimes though, the anxiety and physical symptoms are so closely linked, it s impossible to say which came first! Generally sensible eating and "chilling out" seem to help

Charlie

Laurie28
18-12-03, 12:10
Hiya all,

Thanks for all the advice.

Brian - it is the little pork pies i eat - yum yum

and i wuld also like to say I was wrong irn-bru is no longer made by girders it is 'barr' I can't believe it when did that happen.

My nausea/pain aren't so bad today i don't know if it was anxiety or just a dicky tummy!! that's the problem i don't know the difference alot of the time

thanks guys
lucky

Lottie32
18-12-03, 12:38
Lucky

I usually have a dicky tummy 2 - 3 days each week.

Im never sure exactly what causes it - but I always treat it as anxiety (unless you know you've eaten something ropey, are away in a foreign country and have had untreated water etc).

That way, I try and take measures to calm down, and relax, or exercise, or just plain try and ignore it. It usually goes away.

If I treat as a dodgy tummy, and it doesn't go away, then I get anxious that I'm going to be really ill, and have something wrong with me (abdominal area very delicate - my dad died of stomach cancer, and my gran ovarian cancer, so any pain around that area can lead to all sorts of thoughts!)Of course, as we all know - the anxiety only feeds itself, and I end up feeling iller!!!!!

So I treat as anxiety and it usually goes.

I hope that this makes sense? It does to me, but sometimes these things are hard to get over.

Charlie

Laurie28
19-12-03, 11:49
Hiya,

My nausea/stomach pains are now away (touch wood - madly tapping away at my head!)

I don't know if it was anxiety or just a dicky tummy. Little and often worked for me this time (and possibly the yummy pork pies!!)

Thanks for your help

Love
lucky

sarah
30-12-03, 13:54
Hiya all

Just when I thought i got it sussed tha panic had tricked me. Ive just been out with my husband with the intent on shopping for bargains. I went on Saturday and it was really busy and i had no real problems, just a bit wobbly.
Anyway, today we were in the car and i felt really sick. I had to get my hubby to turn the car round and go back home as i was convinced i was gonna make a mess in his car. I didnt feel panicky or anything, just really nauseous. I thought i must have eaten something bad. Kept saying to my hubby...'im sorry i feel sick but at least it isnt panic eh?'
Lo and behold im home now, hubby has gone out on his own and guess what?...I FEEL FINE!!!!! guess it was panic after all, just a symptom im not used to getting.
God I am soooooo fed up of this...lol

love Sarah
xx

nomorepanic
30-12-03, 21:18
Hi sarah

Perhaps you had worked yourself up knowing that the sales were going to be busy - which is a big challenge for us sufferers.

Also, I bet that job interview is on your mind isn't it?

Don't beat yourself up mate - you are doing so well and you will get those great days again.

Take care

xx

Nicola

sarah
31-12-03, 14:59
Cheers Nic

You are right mate, I am worried about the interview.

Anyway tried exactly the same thing today, same shops, same route and was comletely fine. mad huh?

love Sarah
xx

nomorepanic
31-12-03, 19:30
Sarah

Good to hear you went back and did it again - that is the spirit!

I think that some days we just think more than others - a bit like me and the blooming A1. I can do it every day for a week and then wham one day it is a big problem again.

At least we both go back and try again.

Any news on the job yet?

xx

Nicola

catherine
03-01-04, 00:29
hi. can someone explain IBS to me? sorry but i actually don't know what it is lol. I have had a dodgy stomach for ages....its 'grumbly' as somebody put it. I feel sick pretty much every time i leave my house....i thought i was just nervous about going to school or whatever, but after reading the posts i think it might be linked to something else....i always thought i was just a really nervous person, but there has been something wrong with my stomach for ages. my mum has weird bowls, and her digestive system is a bit screwed so i thought it might be some inherited thing. i'm not really sure.

Meg
03-01-04, 00:53
The symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome may include:

Abdominal pain and spasm

Diarrhoea

Constipation

Bloated stomach

Rumbling noises and wind

Urgency - a need to rush and open the bowels

A feeling of incomplete emptying of the bowels

A sharp pain felt low down inside the rectum

Nausea, belching and vomiting

It's essentially a non specific diagnosis/label for a series of GastroIntestinal symptoms that are just what it says on the tin.

Stress is believed to play a significant part and some people find their IBS is due to food intolerance.

Medical treatment may vary from advice on diet and relaxation to the use of anti-spasmodic drugs or bulking agents.

Some people may find help from practitioners of complementary medicine such as acupuncturists, homeopaths, herbalists etc.

What you describe are usual anxiety symptoms . You don't need to have IBS to have all you describe..

Meg

bananarbabe
03-01-04, 04:12
Hi Lucky,

I sometimes get nausea when I'm anxious. Eating helps me even though I don't have an appetite. I also try to avoid drinking juice when I'm anxious as the acid can sometimes bug your stomach.

Cheers,

Chris

Rennie1989
03-01-04, 10:08
Lucky

If you go to the homepage of this site, go onto the links on the left hand side and click on 'symptoms'. If you scroll all the way down to the bottom there is a chart. On the left side its got the symptoms and on the other it says what it means. Stomach cramps/pains are listed there, I think it means agoriphobia.

I get stomach pain when I'm in an attack so dont worry a thing[8D]

Jade[:p]

nomorepanic
03-01-04, 23:46
Jade

Sorry, I may have confused you - that chart is just a list of symptoms it doesn't mean that one causes the other.

Nicola

Laurie28
05-01-04, 14:45
Hiya Guys,

Eating definetly helped me (little and often)

my stomach isn't too great today but i know it is because i have the dentist to go to in a few hours!!!(oh dear)

Love
lucky

Meg
05-01-04, 15:15
Good luck. Thinking of you.

I'm overdue and have a filling that I can click out like you would a brace. Think he must have taken an extended holiday as getting nowhere wil phoning him.

Meg

Laurie28
05-01-04, 15:18
Thanks Meg,

it is just a check up but i haven't been for ages and i know i will need alot of work done

I need to go b4 my maternity exemption runs out because i don't want pain and cost (i prefer free pain to hang with paying for it!!)

Love
Lucky

Lottie32
06-01-04, 14:36
Lucky

Good luck with the dentist. I hope he's not progressive and you don't end up with the scaffolding and green rubber mat treatment.

Don't blame you for getting it whilst its free either. I spent nearly £300 on my last three little trips (cos I wanted white ones - silver fillings are much cheaper apparantly)

At least I've not got to go back till May now, for a (hopefully just a) checkup

Love

Charlie

Laurie28
06-01-04, 14:51
Hiya charlie it was a check up but i need to go back for some wee filling (quite a few i think!!!)

My dentist is lovely but I don't understand why anyone would want to be a dentist??

WHY?? WHY??

(maybe you could ask your mums beau?)

Love
Lucky

Lottie32
06-01-04, 14:58
Lucky

Its something thats always puzzled me. One of my friends has not been to the dentist for 30 years. And his oral hygiene is not good either. How on earth anybody can train for four years, and then willingly go near somebody with such a rank mouth voluntarily is beyond me.

When at sixth form, I cleaned toilets, but thats because I had to when I was working at Little Chef. But I would never have made a decision that I would WANT to spend the rest of my life cleaning toilets.

Also, we once watched a documentary at the training hospital in Sheffield, and they were showing teeth being pulled. One man must have had the worlds longest roots, and I thought his rib cage would snap before the tooth came out (they were using the mans chest for purchase). Dentistry is probably the best way for lifes sadists to earn mega money.

Now what really puzzles me is ...... who on earth would want to train to do COLONIC IRRIGATION? And go through it afterwards to find bits of lego etc. that you swallowed when you were little. Urgghhhhh

Charlie

Laurie28
06-01-04, 15:07
Hiya Charlie

YUCK!!!

I read somewhere though that dentists have the highest suicide rate!! I wonder why that is?

Love
Lucky

Lottie32
06-01-04, 16:09
Cos they are going out with my mum!!!!!

HA HA HA HA HA

Love

Charlie

Laurie28
07-01-04, 11:55
You are off your rocker Charlie (in the nicest possible way of course)

Love
lucky

nomorepanic
10-01-04, 15:24
I dont like dentists but I still go every 6 months for the check-up.

My wisdom tooth is aching at the moment and it hurts to eat but I am not having that out so I hope it settles down soon.

Nicola

twister
12-01-04, 14:21
I had the fear a couple of months ago that my wisdom teeth would need to come out as i kept getting infections. Luckily my dentist said that it was caused by me grinding my teeth......

Emily

Rennie1989
13-01-04, 18:26
both my mum and dad and even my cousins had their wisdom teeth taken out, ouch, im next

Jade