PDA

View Full Version : Another New Poster - Any advice please

Polar Bear
11-02-09, 15:04
Hi

I have always been an anxious person and stressed as well (last 30 years). Had syptoms over the years but over Christmas and the new year I started getting the throat problems and had difficulty swallowing food. Havind found this site and hearing about the syptoms I've managed to get better when eating.

However during the last couple of weeks I'm really struggling with the choking thing which is getting worse. The doctor has prescribed diazepam (a small dose 2mg) and I'm also taking anitbotics for a sore throat which can't be helping (the sore throat that is not the antibotics). Trying not to panic but clearing my throat gets me panicing and already getting fed up of this. Can't breath and feel as if I'm choking Just want to get back to normal now.

Have read some of the topics on the forums and definitely not feeling as bad as some on here but feeling bad enough!

Any other advice / tips / observations that may help me please?

Thanks in advance

caz303
11-02-09, 19:21
I'm sorry Polar Bear I don't have this problem but I hope someone will be able to offer you some help and advice :hugs:

eeyorelover
11-02-09, 19:56
I had this issue a few years ago and still have it on occasion but now I'm able to talk myself out of the feelings and use redirection to take my mind off the feelings.
Something the doctor told me hit home. He said 'if your throat were actually closing up, you won't be able to talk or breath so it's an anxiety symptom'.
If you can do something like housework or listen to music - whatever works for you - and take your mind off of it eventually you will be able to tell yourself that you are ok and then the symptom will come round less frequently.
Good luck
xxx
Sandy

Blot
11-02-09, 20:34
:flowers: Welcome to the site. I have found that I have experienced the difficulty in swallwong / feeling as though I have a lump in my throat. On this website I found the tips posted by michllemumof4 so informative. Do have a look as she gave sound advice.

Blot

Polar Bear
12-02-09, 10:21
Thanks for your advice. Definitely need to practice the distraction techniques and keep busy. Also the doctors comment re being able to talk/breath is an excellent point!

Will definitely look at michellemumof4's advice as well.

Feel I've been getting into the vivious circle of constantly thinking about all this and starting to get worroed about going anywhere, which I can't afford to do!

Thanks again for your help. Glad I found this site