PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Throat Feelings!

andrewjdavid2005
17-07-05, 21:30
I have been getting a tight throat weird feeling for ages now, i seem to be having constant anxiety unless i have something wrong with me!

It feels like i have a brick in my throat and its suffocating and choking me and that im going to choke to death any second, and my throat feels tight around my adams apple area this is another symptoms i cannot seem to get rid of like my shortness of breath anyone got any ideas how to relieve this feeling whatever i do i seem to have anxiety 24/7 and cannot seem to get rid of any symptoms at all maybe i dont have anxiety i dont know!

People keep saying about changing thoughts but what thoughts? the only thoughts i get is when i keep getting all these symptoms i fear the worst and that something bad is wrong with me or that im going to die at 23 years old.

helen__w
17-07-05, 21:35
Hi Andrew

I know just how you feel - I have been suffering from similar symptoms! I cant seem to change my thoughts either. I have ordered some self-hynosis CD's which should arrive tommorrow, I will let you know how I get on and if they are any help.

Helen x

seh1980
17-07-05, 21:39
hello Andrew,

Though I can understand why you're scared, you have to realise that nothing serious is wrong with you. You yourself call it 'a symptom of anxiety' and therefore you need to start treating it as such..You may not realise it, but you are making it out to be a big serious issue in your head. The more you affirm this, the worse it will get. Try telling yourself that it's nothing to worry about - only then will it stop bothering you..

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

mjh74
17-07-05, 21:39
I'm right there with you Andrew on the throat thing. Every waking moment I have it and am trying to deal with it. I even have to watch how I talk as it makes me feel like gagging! Still, just another symptom of our anxiety, nothing more!

Mark

Meg
17-07-05, 22:10
AD

**the only thoughts i get is when i keep getting all these symptoms i fear the worst and that something bad is wrong with me or that im going to die at 23 years old. **

These thoughts are a very good place to start to make some real changes.

Fearing the worst releases more adrenalin which fuels and perpetuates the tense feelings,shortness of breath and which also lead to the muscles in your throat tightening .

It is impossible for you to die from these symptoms. Your throat will not close up nor will you choke and you must be breathing adequately - if not the most relaxed as is possible.

You need to keep rational and NOT jump to worst case scenario conclusions each time- keep optimistic and as positoive as possible. It is not easy but will get easier as you gain momentum and suceed

You need to mainatain doing things as normally as possible each day and not give in to the symptoms or sensations

You need to comfort yourself during and at the end of each day that however uncomfortable these symptoms had been that day that you are still alive, well and healthy and by using today as an example tomorrow will be just as good if not better.

You would get comfort and help from writing down a journal each day telling yourself all about your day and how short of breath you were etc but yet how you are still here and still ok . After a few weeks you'll surprise yourself of how repetitive it migt be an realize that day after day you have the same worries yet you never get really worse

You need to learn to really distract yourself to prove how the symptoms get easier when you're concentrating on something else

A book you might like to read to help demonstare this is
What to say when you talk to yourself - Shad Helmsletter
as well as any of Claire Weekes books

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

4sure
22-07-05, 11:49
Hi Andrewjdavid,

This is the first posting i have done on here so i am a bit nervous of posting (hope i am doing it right lol)i would just like to say that i am getting exactly the same feelings that you seem to be getting. It really feels like someone or something is gripping my throat. I have had anxiety for a few months now and although you say you have these choking feelings 24/7, i dont, but i do know how you feel when it does happen. My doctor told me to try and ignore it and think of positive things and with doing this i should overcome it, but thats easy for her to say is'nt it? I was just wondering if you have found anything that helps you and if you have any tips.

Shauna

SFAOK
22-07-05, 15:49
My throat is also playing up. It feels like my adam's apple is larger than it should be, almost like there's a plum or something in my throat. It also clicks when I swollow, especially when I'm lying down (so my neck is more bent). The underside of my jaw (soft pallate? I don't know) feels tight. Perhaps that's due to my excessive swollowing or something.

Is it unusual to wake up with this throat thing? I'm not perticularly anxious at the moment (I'm pretty much back to butterflies in my stomach and a few aches and pains).

mjh74
22-07-05, 20:53
SFAOK, your throat symptoms are the closest to mine that I've ever read of on here. I actually find it uneasy to speak especially when my mouth is REALLY dry due to the meds that I'm on. For the first 10 minutes of the day it's ok and from then on in varying degrees I have exactly what you describe. It used to be a tightness to one side of my adams apple but then it could also be above or below it and on a really bad day all around it. My soft pallate feels tight which is what makes it difficult for me to speak but I think this is caused by swallowing hard. Of course with swallowing hard I can feel that horrible crunching BUMP/click. On a lighter note, today has been one of the best days I've had with it in almost 8 months! I'm just trying not to swallow so hard and just ignore it best I can. This takes a hell of a lot of will power and distraction but as hard as I used to find it to believe, over time it SEEMS to be getting easier....

Mark

adele1
29-09-08, 14:45
hey,
This is one of my symptoms that has taken the longest to shift, it drives me MAD!! at first when it happened I was convinced my tongue had swelled at the back and was going to fill my airways, I'd stop breathing and die, I had my brother check my mouth, I was hysterical, I went through everything I'd eaten in the day to see if there was anything unusual, in the end I must have gotten distracted and it dissappeared! few weeks later, it turned into a lump, that drove me mad. Then I noticed a pattern that it was only there when I thought about it, the more I thought about it the worse it felt. Like now I am writing this my throat is tense, because I am talking about it lol. Luckily now I know its jus an anxiety symptom and NOTHING will happen.x