PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety

burley
12-02-09, 11:36
Hi I,m driving everyone up the wall with my obssesion with my heart.
At the moment I am really bad with the flutterings, palps and can hear my heart beat in my ear when I try to sleep, My docs are fed up with me and say its all in my head. I have suffered for three years and am getting to the point where I can't go on. I have had ecg's 24 hr monitor and have seen private cardiologist and they all say its ok. When I went to doc last week he said pulse was high. I'm on 20mg Citroplan but they don't seem to do anything. Its so ironic as I don't want to die and am petrified that I will have a heart attack then I get feelings of throwing myself downstairs or even out of the car could this be side effects of meds as I've never had thoughts like this before. Please someone help me. Also I'm in constant pain with aches and pains in ribs and chest, shoulders and neck they say this is where i am so tense. I don't want to go out alone, as i get panic attacks. Please Help!

Lisa:unsure:

ccc28
12-02-09, 12:13
Hi I,m driving everyone up the wall with my obssesion with my heart.
At the moment I am really bad with the flutterings, palps and can hear my heart beat in my ear when I try to sleep, My docs are fed up with me and say its all in my head. I have suffered for three years and am getting to the point where I can't go on. I have had ecg's 24 hr monitor and have seen private cardiologist and they all say its ok. When I went to doc last week he said pulse was high. I'm on 20mg Citroplan but they don't seem to do anything. Its so ironic as I don't want to die and am petrified that I will have a heart attack then I get feelings of throwing myself downstairs or even out of the car could this be side effects of meds as I've never had thoughts like this before. Please someone help me. Also I'm in constant pain with aches and pains in ribs and chest, shoulders and neck they say this is where i am so tense. I don't want to go out alone, as i get panic attacks. Please Help!

Lisa:unsure:

I've had this too, infact I'm having an episode right now with it!!!

You've got to stay strong and learn new ways of relaxing and forgetting about it. I've suffered for about 3 years too, and my last doctors visit was only yesterday.

I know its tension and muscle aches thats casuing it but the more you think it, you will beleive it.

I've started going for regular hypno and aromatherapy, drining herbal tea and on the odd occasion taking Nytol (herbal tabs) before bed. Its working slowing but I feel it most at work.

Right now i've got a tight chest, the last week has been palpetation mad and I also have some wierd muscle twing in my left arm and hand. You're not alone.:)

Norwich
12-02-09, 12:29
I had this for about five years, it changed the way I lived my life and I missed out on a lot of things that I should have done in my 20s because I was scared if I did it I'd have a heart attack. It was ridiculous (I can see that now) but at the time the daily chest pains etc meant to me that I was about to drop dead at any minute, despite what the doctors and cardiologists told me.

So, stop wasting your life and ask yourself;

1, If it has been happening for 3 years don't you think you'd have had a heart attack by now if there was something serious?

2, If you had these pains etc when you had your ECG and it didn't show up as cardio-related then why would the same symptoms be that another time?

I have to admit, I do sometimes get a pain and start panicing but I go for a walk, this both calms me down and shows me that the exercise relieves the pain rather than makes it worse so it can't be related to my heart (you have to force yourself to do this, it is very difficult but if necessary at the start drive to the hospital and take your walk there, I did that a few time and it made me feel safer).

When I read all the posts about heart problems on here it reminds me of myself 5-10 years ago and it really makes me sad as I wish I knew then what I know now, and I wish you knew now what I do. I also wish I'd known about this forum then, as at the time I thought I was on my own but now I know there are 1000s of us! I would be very surprised to learn that more than 1% of people who have posted on here worrying about their heart have since had a heart attack.