PDA

View Full Version : Aniexty and work....

Getting by..
12-02-09, 17:35
Hi All

I was just woundering if anyone elses anxiety was linked to their work? and what support they got from their company or if there was any guidance anyone could offer me. I have a meeting with my "new" (7th in 3 years) boss tommorrow and HR to discuss a major restructure and I know my issues are going to come up - how much do I tell them? I don't want to appear weak and like I can't handle my role becuase I can but I also want to make it very clear that it is the unstability of my work enviroment which is impacting my health... I worry really badly that they will fire me over this which makes me really angry as I have not been treated fairly by the company, offered any support at all ever, yet I am still expected to run half their business for them, depsite not being sufficently qualifed or expereinced!

Any advice would much appreciated.

Angelai
12-02-09, 19:05
Hi

I've had quite a lot of jobs, too - my anxiety has always tended to take over and become a really bad depressive phase, usually because of actual or perceived 'attitude' (someone looking at me or speaking to me funny, you probably know the sort of thing!). With a couple of employers I've been completely honest, and more often than not I've received a lot of support from them. The problem is, by the time it's got that far it's too late for me. Psychologically, the damage has been done and I just don't seem to be able to move on from it. That's when I change jobs.

About a year and a half ago I came to realise that NO job is worth jeopardising my health for. I'm not suggesting that you give up work completely, just believe that there is a job you can do that you will love, and that will love you. If your employer has already treated you unfairly it may be time to look for something else (again!). I know that's not easy, especially at the moment, but it really isn't worth making yourself ill over.

Good luck x

MissiD
14-02-09, 22:24
Hi

You've replied to one of my posts recently in which I mentioned that my anxiety was related to (amongst probably other things) my job. Unfortunately I let things build up to the point where I had a break down at work & being signed off work for 2 weeks turned into two months! Luckily my employers have been extremely supportive and I have been back at work, albeit in a different role (my choice), since last August.

I don't know the details but according to a line manager friend of mine there are an awful lot of employment laws around mental health and protecting employees, so legally I would think that you cannot be fired because of work related anxiety/stress. Your HR dept should be fully aware of all of this and if they're not then I'm sure they must be in breach of employment laws or something.

Ideally you should be able to tell them about your concerns and they SHOULD take them seriously. If you wanted to (& have the time) you could speak to someone or look up online about these particular laws before you speak to your manager & HR dept. At least then you will go into the meeting feeling like you know where you stand.

I was under the care of a psychiatrist when I first became ill and he was extremely strict about how much time I took off & how slowly I should return to work and he often works with occupational health depts of various companies to ensure people in these situations aren't pushed back into work too quickly etc. I'm not suggesting you should get signed off, in fact if you can talk to them about this openly and honestly it should prevent anything like that from happening.

Sorry for the waffle... I hope some of this makes sense?

Good luck
Mel x

Gregor
15-02-09, 14:56
Hi,

Firstly, they can't fire you for having anxiety. They can 'let you go' for not being able to do your job properly or if you're no longer needed. However, you seem to be in control of your job so that shouldnt be a problem. As mentioned above, get some legal advice or information online first (ie, don't just take my word for it!).

If your employers are decent, normal people then hopefully they will understand your concerns and help you deal with them/provide a solution.

Good luck.

Gregor

Smiley?
15-02-09, 21:50
Work is definitely an issue for me too. I was off before xmas for about 3 months then went back for about 3 weeks before going off sick again!! I've not been back yet.

I have struggled to realise that my job is the problem and I'm now at the stage where I think I need to leave. I have found myself calm and well enough to decrease my medication while I've been off this time and I'm nearly off it completely! But now I'm due to see the doctor on Tuesday (who knows nothing about me stopping the meds) and I'm fearing I may have to go back to work.

I have an interview for another job, totally unrelated to my current position which I trained hard for for 3 years. But there is no support where I am and I can't carry on with it.

I think, if you know your job is causing a problem then you have to look at a major change to make things better for yourself. It has took me a long time to realise that work is causing my anx and depression. I hope I can move forward now and leave this difficult time in the past.