PDA

View Full Version : Didn't think of anxiety for about 2 hours....

Gareth
18-07-05, 09:17
Hi all,

Sorry, very long post coming up, a lot is going on!

I had a pretty busy weekend. On Friday night our new neighbours came over for some food and drinks. And then on Saturday I drove my wife to Manchester and we went to a wedding reception.

At both events I seemed to become so preoccupied with what was going on, that I totally failed to think about my anxiety for about 2 hours...! I remembered it at each event, and thought; "wow, I haven't been thinking about it..."

This is major for me. The most awful thing about my anxiety has been that it is 24/7, like watching the world through a veil - the anxiety is always the first thought in my mind.

On Sunday the drive home was horrible, probably because I had been drinking 2 nights in a row, which I haven't done for a while. I think I was tensed up as it was a long drive and I had slept in a hard unfamiliar hotel bed. And now back at work on Monday morning I don't feel great - but I am determined to remember that there was some time on Friday and Saturday when I wasn't thinking about the anxiety - the first time this has happened in over four months.

The funny thing about it is - the times I wasn't thinking about the anxiety were exactly the times I would have been anxious in the past (before the GAD came on). They were social events with people I didn't know very well, which normally would have produced a fairly high level of "normal anxiety" and this time they didn't. I suppose I was concentrating hard on being OK with the situation I was in, rather than concentrating on anxiety. Because I was in a traditionally "anxious situation", I didn't have time to think about my "constant anxiety"... if you see what I mean.

I think the other thing that has happened is that things have moved on with my psychotherapist. In my last few sessions I have really come to terms with how much work I need to do in relation to a very horrible period of my childhood during which my parents split and my mother tried to kill herself, and I had to help her through nervous breakdowns and depression. I think that facing up to the fact that I have deeply seated emotional problems as a result of all this is helpful in a way. I can kind of relax into the work that needs to be done. I know it will be very hard for a while to come, but I would rather deal with real emotions than the disingenuous face of anxiety, which doesn't tell you anything about how you are really feeling.

Anyway, I am off to France tomorrow with my wife for 5 days and am feeling more confident about enjoying it than I was. I will relax, relax, relax.

And then I come back to a hard week, as my wife will be away in the USA for a week with work, and I am worried about her flying, and her being so far from home etc.

But these two contrasting weeks seem to sum up how life is, and how I need to just settle into life and "take things as they come". Life is contradictory, up and down, some great things, some terrible things. Somehow I would like to learn to just accept things as they are and roll with things. Hopefully the lessons of the anxiety will help me to do so.

be well,
Gareth

*** I think, therefore I'm anxious ***

trac67
18-07-05, 10:54
Hi Gareth,
A big well done for doing do well this weekend, it was a big achievement.
It does go to show that the anxiety thing is in out head, because if we become pre-occupied with something else, we dont have time to think, therefore we dont get anxious.
I hope that you continue to be so positive and that you can now begin to enjoy your social events a lot more.
Take Care
Trac:D

its "just a thought"

Meg
18-07-05, 14:11
Gareth,

This is great news.

Well done on recognising the achievement and progress for the enormous step it is.

Enjoy France and we'll be here when you need us in the weeks ahead

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

pips
18-07-05, 16:40
Well Done Gareth,

Thats brill news.

I am the same as you having constant anxiety thoughts.[Ugh]

Now though like yourself when I have gone through a stage of not thinking about being anxious I congratulate myself. I think [Wow!] I haven't thought about it for a while yipeeeeee.:D some days the time span increases as well which is great![Yes!]

I hope you have a lovely holiday.

Take care,;)

Love PIP'S X

Karen
18-07-05, 19:42
Well done Gareth.

Have a great time in France.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

henri
19-07-05, 11:03
Hi Gareth,
Well done! That is really good news - when we are at our worst, the thought of anxiety is so all-consuming, so it's great that you managed to banish it from your mind for a while.
Have a fantastic time in France,
Henri x