PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy, Stress & Panic Attacks

jojo74
13-02-09, 23:24
Hi

I am new to this site but have read some really useful posts. My main interest is in anxiety and panic disorder suffers. I have suffered panic and anxiety for four years after a breakdown through a very stressful job. I was put on various drugs from citalopram, sertroline, anti- psychotics, sleepers and tranquilisers. I am currently on 8 mg of diazepam a day and after 4 years, I'm addicted. Thanks to my supportive psychiatrist and doctor.
I can't take alot of drugs due to drug sensitivity and my first experience of citalopram was a nightmare. I believe the cocktail of drugs are responsible for my continuing state of mind.
My problem is over the last 2 years my anxiety has become quite manageable, with breaathing techniques and support from my family, so i forgot what panic attacks, full blown attacks were like. I just got the waves of passing fear which i coped with.
I can't believe last night after 3 years i suffered hurrendous palpatations and thought i was going to have a heart attack, this was just after i'd dozed off to sleep. I seemed relaxed when dosing off then was woken, tight chested, gasping for air with my heart beating out of control. It subside i breathed through and relaxed down again. slowly drifted off to sleep only to wake again with the same experience. I was terrified. Somehow i finally managed to go back to sleep. And nothing happened until the phone rang this morning. But instead of waking me as normal, i woke up in full blown panic with heart racing again. Today i am really exhausted, have felt breathless all day and a little edgey. Obviously I am scared this will happen again tonight.
During the last 3 weeks, my mum was given hours to live from pneumonia, but made a miraculous recovery, i have had a really severe chest infection which put me in bed and on top of all that i am 5 month pregnant. Do you think all this panic and anxiety is a reaction & my body trying to settle after a traumatic few weeks, I always find that it isn't at the time of the stress i suffer severe symptoms but after things have calmed.Anyone else notice this?? . Like my breakdown happened a month after i quit my job. I felt good and enjoyed a fab xmas with no stress then in the new year i collapsed with a nervous breakdown. I couldn't understand that even though the stress was removed my body/mind reacted. I have read about over stimulating the nervous system with stress and fatigue and this can bring on symptoms of panic. I cope with my anxiety on a day to day basis but the panic attacks really scare me. I have been very immobile this week due to exhaustion and recovering from illness, now i am blessed with panic and acute anxiety. I daren't go out for fear of passing out and having attacks. 2 weeks ago i was out and about and doing reasonably well. Now i am housebound. I have a 60th birthday 2mmrw and dreading going. My partner says i must try so i will. But i am worried. On top of all this i am due my 20 wk scan next saturday and have a consultant obsetrician appointment on Tuesday at the hospital my mum nearly died in. I don't want to go to this hospital as i feel it is too traumatic. I know this is aviodance behaviour, but i am far too stressed at the moment. I'm a little worried about my baby as have felt no movement yet and no heartbeat was detected on 16 wk antenatal, but they weren't concerned. I can't believe this but i am more concerned about me right now and not my baby...i feel so bad about this. :weep: Is this my health anxiety talking over again?? i feel so helpless right now. I just think there is something wrong with me and common sense says it's all the stress that's causing the problems as it has only started last few weeks since mum becoming critically ill. I just need the reassurance i guess that its anxiety taking hold.