PDA

View Full Version : Racing Heart Trigger

A-J
14-02-09, 13:32
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted your opinions on my panic symptoms. My main problem is an unbearable racing heart which comes on whenever I feel my pulse rate increase slightly, this means that I'm now worried about walking upstairs e.t.c.. even though I really know it's panic bringing it on. I guess that's the problem! I just wondered if there was a physical reason rather than my anxiety that triggered a racing heart. I am absolutely terrified of doctors so can't bring myself to go! It feels like a spasm and lasts about ten minutes with my heart beating uncontrollably, I feel it banging in my neck and just about manage to calm myself down with breathing and sipping water. Any advice gratefully received.

A-J

kenboon
14-02-09, 18:53
Hiya

Its sounds like the addrenalin surge is whats causing that. This is taken from the symptoms page of this site. http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=symptoms

Stress biology causes the heart rate to increase. It does this so that the body is ready to take action. It’s like in drag racing, drivers get their RPM’s up prior to the green light so that they can hit the light with maximum torque. Since the stimulant hormone adrenaline, the body’s super fuel, is produced when danger is perceived, the heart rate is naturally increased.

I would go and see your GP. They may be able to refer you for CBT to help you overcome and control your anxiety levels.

Hope your feeling better soon

Ken

A-J
15-02-09, 20:38
Thanks for that, I'm off to the doctors this week as I've finally admitted I'm unable to cope with this alone.

A-J

kenboon
15-02-09, 21:20
I think thats a positive step :). Remember your not alone, if your feeling worried about something, ask on this site for advice or help.

All the best

Ken

linesman
16-03-09, 08:48
Hi, A-J,

after reading that it sounds like i wrote it, thats exactly what i'm dealing with.. Every little beat has the potential to start off a mahor panic attack where my heart is racing, in some respects its turning into a mild dose of agrophobia, i'm beginning to get scared about doing things in case my heart rate increases then i panic.

I've been to the docs when its racing, he checked my blood pressure, my pulse and listened to my heart and he's happy that its beating fast but at a normal rythm. I husty have to keep telling myself he knows best, although last night it thappend and i nearly took myself off down the hospital as I just couldn't calm down.

Mark