PDA

View Full Version : Anybody help please...

mick_uk
14-02-09, 17:48
Hi,
This winter since November I have had one cold after another. Each one leads to sinus problems then clears for a few days then comes back as a cold again. I really am desperate now. It has worn me down, keep being ill all winter. I hardly sleep at all lately as well. I'm slim, I eat well, fruit and veg etc, and I've never smoked, but my immune system just doesn't seem to cope at all at the moment. This leads to anxiety which in turn leads to lower my immune which makes me prone to catch every bug going. I've never had such a bad winter as this for catching these bugs. I've been prescribed antibiotics/nasal sprays/lemsip etc but I still can't shift this never endeing flu/cold.
Anyone going through the same?
Or anyone have any suggestions, I really am desperate now, it's just pulling me down so much.

Thanks

mick

mickh555
14-02-09, 17:56
Garlic and oranges has brought me down from all year round colds to the occasional one.Odourless garlic tabs !!

clarissa
14-02-09, 19:19
Yes I can help! - but will you take any notice!!!
First off a little potted history, - In 1988 I had shingles fairly badly which although I was assured would be gone in about 6 weeks - went on throughout the months of October to May, devoloping into ME (Myalgic encephelomylitis) during the entire time I was constantly getting one cold after another, each time I sneezed it hurt the shingles site, my nose was constantly red and sore and I was a right mess. I met up with a friend who told me I had to have beetroot and plenty of it 2lbs a day either in juice form or fresh cooked or raw - but not in vinegar. I was to add garlic, red onions, red cabbage, red wine if I could and blackcurrants, redcurrants to my diet. I did and started to invent receipes that used them all - beetroot, cabbage and garlic & red onion soup being the easiest! in a chicken stock base (All jewish people use good chicken stock - not that I am Jewish) Beetroot in cheese sauce, raw grated in a cheese sandwich.... lots of ways - I even mad a beetroot cake which is scrummy!. After about two weeks of this intensive intake I was without cold, felt far better than I had been for ages and actually began to feel better from the ME. To this day I still go for beetroot whenever I feel 'below par' - I still have panic episodes but often will sit and try to invent a new way of using beetroot to convince myself that it helps that as well. Try it - it will help.

lesleya
14-02-09, 19:56
Hi hun
I know exactly how your feeling ive had constant colds on and off... chest infectioins etc and last week had that norovirus which totally floored me, ive had all these since october last year.
Im goig to try the beetroot that clarissa suggested to see if it helps. If you try it let me know how you go hun.
I hope you feel better soon though because it does make you feel down when your unwell too as well as the panics/anxiety.
Take care
xxxx

indigo
14-02-09, 20:43
Hi mick, I just wanted to share a poem with you with reference to your signature.

DROWNING

As I swim through the sea of confusion,
Trying to stay alive,
Not to drown in this unknown,
Not knowing if I'll survive.

Clinging to any debris,
That dares to float my way,
My mind lives a fantasy
As my body drifts away.

Sometimes the waves of emotion
Threaten to drag me down.
Gasping to stay in this harsh reality
Where nothing makes a sound.

From the shore, looking on,
Life seems to be so high,
But I'm not waving, I'm drowning
And no-one can hear me cry.

It just reminded me of this poem, hope you're doing ok. By the way, I suffer so much with my sinuses, it's so draining x x x

mick_uk
14-02-09, 20:54
Hi again,
Thanks all for taking the time out to reply to me. I have read what you've said and will try your advice. I'm usually good at taking advice :)
Indigo, thanks for the poem. Not waving but drowning sums me up. :)
It's from my favourite poem of that name.

Nobody heard him, the dead man,But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thoughtAnd not waving but drowning.
Poor chap, he always loved larkingAnd now he's dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,They said.
Oh, no no no, it was too cold always(Still the dead one lay moaning)
I was much too far out all my lifeAnd not waving but drowning.

nikkinoo
14-02-09, 21:09
Hi Mick,
I too have been constantly plagued by sinus since having the flu over Christmas. It really is getting me down. I have had a course of antibiotics, but am still congested and my sinuses have just started bleeding, which is really freaking me out. Do you have this, as I really could do with some reassurance at the moment.
I hope you feel better soon.
Kindest regards Nikki. :-) x

mick_uk
14-02-09, 21:19
Hi Nikki,
That's exactly how I feel at the moment. After trying everything in the mainstream medication help, I really think I need to try things other than medication. For quite a few years I sang in a band, never got a cold,never had problems with sinus, and rarely caught the flu or even got a sore throat. Then I kind of lost the plot a bit in life and once the anxiety set in I seem to be open to every bug/virus going round.
The sinus is the main problem at the moment makes sleeping difficult which doesn't help with the recovery.
Hope you start to feel better soon too. And everyone out there suffering.

take care

mick

nikkinoo
15-02-09, 15:01
Dear Mick,
Just wondering if you are feeling any better today? My sinuses are still blocked and they sting like crazy. I am getting to major panic levels at the moment as I have blood in my phlegm (sorry to be so graphic) and I have almost convinced myself that I am dying, especially after googling all my symptoms. I have been to the doctor and had antibiotics last week and he assured me that my lungs were clear and that the blood was nothing to worry about, but I am so panic stricken I can hardly function today.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Kind regards Nikkinoo x

mick_uk
15-02-09, 16:25
Hiya nikki,
I still feel rough. Sinuses are still bad. My right ear feels plugged and it hurt when I layed on it in the night so I had another poor nights sleep.
I've had all the xray checks and stuff a few months back and they just confirmed that it was a sinus infection. I could have told them that. :)
I was told it's just a case of waiting till it runs it's course. Not very helpful but I guess it's all we can do.
Sorry to hear you're feeling anxious, today, just keep thinking 'it will clear up soon'. That's how I'm trying to live with it.
Hope you start to feel better really soon

take care
mick

nikkinoo
17-02-09, 16:19
Hi Mick,
How are you feeling today and have you been sleeping any better?
Regards Nikki. :-) x

mick_uk
17-02-09, 17:52
Hi Nikki,
Thanks for asking :D
Didn't get much sleep last night because of my sinus's. Managed to slip in a couple of hours sleep this afternoon. I'm deciding if it's worth it bothering my GP again. Not sure it will do any good I've tried most things to shake it.
I guess it's just a matter of waiting till it runs it's course.
How you've been, have you felt any better? My brother tells me in his part of London a lot of people he knows has had very similar problems. The doctors there have no answer either .

take care

mick

nikkinoo
18-02-09, 18:00
Hi Mick,
Sorry to hear you still feel rough, but if it is any comfort, so do I , you are ot alone!
I am finding it an effort to face the day at the moment. I wake up and am having to push myself to get going and get motivated. I love my work, but even that is not enjoyable at the moment.
I know the Doctor said I was ok, but there is part of me that is not convinced. I have had sinus problems quite a few times, but it has never made me feel so low before. I am just so fed up with blowing my nose and coughing and feeling so blocked up and smelling of Olbas Oil. I am wondering if the depression is due to the antibiotics I took last week? I am so cross with myself as the hypnotherapy really worked for me and I felt so good and I was proud that I could function almost as normal again. Now this! It is so frustrating. I feel like I am back to square one with my health anxiety!
I have just had a lazy day at home today and I am hoping that I will feel better tomorrow.
I hope you have had a better day and that you have caught up on some sleep.
Take care.
Kind regards Nikki. :-) x