PDA

View Full Version : anxiety and panic attacks

luce1981
14-02-09, 19:43
Hi everyone,

my name is Lucy and i came across this forum while searching for some help to find out if what am feeling is normal! i have suffered from panic attacks and anxiety on and off for the last 9 years,during bad episodes(presently)i have developed agoraphobia and am now finding it difficult to go to the supermarket,work,shopping centres for fear of having panic attacks and not being able to cope with them.looking back to earlier times in life i think i suffered as a youngster as i remember distinct feelings and used to avoid doing certain things or going certain places.

I have previously taken citalopram 10mg and this has kept me on an even keel and i have been able to lead my life normally withou fear. me and my partner have been trying for a baby and after seeing my G.P i started to wean myself off the tablets in Nov 08 roughly. gradually as the time has passed i have started to suffer with panic attacks and anxiety, not recognising early symptoms i am now off work and in a pretty bad way. I have started to take my tablets again after going back to my G.P and it will be 2 weeks on Monday. i still feel crap and cant remember how long it takes for the med to work. i am trying to stay positive and this week have had some good days and some awful days.
At this moment in time i am contemplating food shopping with my partner, we decided to wait until later when its quiet and yet i still find myself frightened to death of going and dont know why, its so stupid and irrational and although i know it is i cant help it.i wanted to speak to people like myself, my partner is so supportive but cant possibly understand how i feel.

i have started having hypno therapy has anyone else found that it helps?

does anyone else get the symptom of not being able to swallow?
this is the one symptom which scares me the most,i cant swallow my own saliva and think i am going to choke. how do i stop this awful sensation?

sorry for my long intro, i have so much to say! i am hoping that speaking to people who are suffering like me will help and am hoping to get inspired by those who have overcome this awful illness. :weep:

weeble40
14-02-09, 20:31
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx

sunshine-lady
14-02-09, 21:43
Hi and welcome to NMP

I am pleased that you have found us. I am sure you will like it here as there is so much help,information and support. There is also a chat room which is a great place to make friends, hope to see you there.

take care

luce1981
14-02-09, 21:44
Thanks, i am looking forward to chatting but have to wait 5 days!!
:whistles:

suzy-sue
14-02-09, 22:06
HI AND WELCOME :welcome: You will find lots of support here .I f you go to the medication forum and click on the citalopram posts ,youll find lots of useful information. luv sue:hugs:

reallyfedup
15-02-09, 17:09
HI AND WELCOME :welcome: You will find lots of support here .I f you go to the medication forum and click on the citalopram posts ,youll find lots of useful information. luv sue:hugs:

Like sue says, check out some other posts and you will see there are many people like you. I am 7 weeks on citalopram and went out yesterday for the first time in over 2 months! Good luck honey x:winks:

luce1981
16-02-09, 13:50
Thanks that has made me smile:)
I have only been on med for 2 weeks there is hope yet!!
:hugs:

Patty
16-02-09, 15:48
Hi Lucy, :)

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

Best wishes :flowers: