PDA

View Full Version : Ladies ... Cervical Smear Test

Budgie
14-02-09, 21:35
Hi :)

Well, the title says it all -- I'm 25 and I'm due to have my first smear test soon. I've made an appointment for it at the end of February.

But the thing is, I'm really quite anxious about it :blush: I know its not meant to be painful, more uncomfortable, but... even so! I'm very shy about my body and about what the test entails. I talked about it a little with my gp recently because I was concerned -- the information leaflet I got with the letter about the test said to seek advice if you've not had sex with a man (this is me :blush:), and my gp said its still worth having the test. I want to be checked out, but its how to get through it! I know that if I get too worked up it will only make it worse, but I can't seem to help myself!

suzy-sue
14-02-09, 22:13
Hi Budgie ,its understandable you feel apprehensive.i always do deep breathing exercises in for4 out for 4,really helps relax me. its over before you know it,the more relaxed you are the less uncomfortable it is.Ialways get mine done by the nurse (sister) idont feel so embarrassed then .Perhaps the doc could give you a valium to take before hand,knowing how anxious you get, im sure he would understand . good luck !sure youll be fine tho!,luv sue:hugs: :hugs: xx

Anxious_gal
15-02-09, 03:53
I had one done, there was a female doctor and a nurse! but i was super comfortable with woman, try to think they see vagina's every day! so its not a big deal for them.
i was in a state of panic right before but the ladies were nice that i instantly calmed down.
there is a slight bit of pressure when they put that thing inside you, i still felt a bit odd down there for a while after.
its like done in 5 minutes! it goes really fast.
I also got tested for everything, just to be on the safe side so they took a few swabs, so wow just a smear test probablly takes a minute!
they do give you a towl to cover yourself with, it helps to pretnd your not half naked.
the worst part was the inital opening your legs up!
I know though if it was a male doctor I would have been pretty freaked out, so it really does help to see a female

kate
15-02-09, 09:41
I would imagine everyone feels the same!

Yes, you will feel embarassed but it is sooo important to have regular tests, as they will indicate any small subtle change in your cells which can be treated very easily.

It only takes about 30 seconds for the actual smear to be done :)

Kate

pink daisy
15-02-09, 11:19
Ive had a few smera tests but now im way over due... I keep getting letters but I cant get in the doctors due to agoraphobia. I am more worried after hearing about jade etc. having hypnotherapy on wednesday so I hope I can go soon :-(

doughnut
15-02-09, 13:02
Just try and relax. I get so nervous my knees shake, but trying to relax does help. I had to have smear every year for the last 5 years and still get nervous. But they have just changed the procedure as only takes seconds.

leah23
16-02-09, 16:29
Hi Budgie I went for my first smear last year and it was very hard for me to go as I suffer with panic/anxiety attacks and also suffered with agoraphobia. Making appointments are very hard for me as I think bout them and worry if I will get there. Anyway I got to my smear and I was very nervous,shaking feeling sick,I also didnt like the thought of showing my body to nurse but as mishel said she sees so many and thats what i thought. I also told the nurse about my panic/anixety and she made me feel really comfortable,talked me through everything thing she did. I also take a bottle of water with me everywhere I go as I find when I start to panic having a few sips of water really helps me to calm alittle. It didnt take long at all and I felt so good afterwards for going to the appointment and getting it done,as it showed me I can do it and not let anxiety control me. Take care xx

_fariycake_
21-02-09, 21:55
hey budgie.....really try to not worry bout the test. i know its scary but if they by any chance find nething its better 5mins of slight embaressment than becoming ill from something having been undeteched. Im 24 years of age by the way and iv had quite a few since i turned 21(for various reasons).

Like one of the other girls said on here, the doctors and nurses do this as a living and they have seen it all before and know how to settle those who are nervous.

it wont hurt.....it just feels uncomfortable and it is over and done with before u realise. maybe wear a long dress or skirt, as that way you wont have to feel completely naked having to take jeans off and feel as exposed.

also maybe think to yourself bout treating yourself afterwards?? maybe take a trip to the shops after and treat yourself to something even a new lipstick from boots! that way u can try and focus on something exciting that ur gonna do afterwards to get yourself through it.

Also ask if you could have a friend with you to help you not be so anxious and provide support?

honestly the thought of it is more scary than it actually is!
Hope it all goes well which im sure it will.
xxxx :hugs:

Budgie
22-02-09, 17:40
Thanks for all your lovely replies, youre all so helpful :yesyes::hugs:

Its funny I was just chatting to my mum about treating myself after I've had the test done! Its also my payday then too, so extra incentive! :yahoo:

I'm not feeling so anxious about having the test done, its something thats got to be done to keep a check on things. I'm sure come friday morning I will feel more stressed about it! :roflmao:But its going to be a practice nurse who will do the test in the surgery and theres nothing to embarrassed about, after all its only lady bits and all of us have them :roflmao:

nic77
22-02-09, 20:44
as embrassing as it may seem to you its only a body part to a doctor and a nurse . when you go in just remember it will only take 5 minutes of you whole day and it will be over with . Also try and relax it will help

Little Miss Anxious
22-02-09, 21:00
Hi everyone. I've just posted on another thread about having my first smear so wont go into the ins & outs. Basically I am 35 & have only just plucked up the courage to have my first one (Always been too scared of the results not the actual smear test). I worked myself up into a real state about it last week, I rang my local family planning clinic & asked to speak to a nurse about my anxieties, she took a good 10 minutes talking things through with me & i put the phone down, put my coat on & went for it done there and then !! When I got there I even had a few tears in the nurses office - I was just so scared of getting bad news. She took my hand, gave me a little cuddle & told me it didnt matter I had never been it was that I was there then (all be-it 10 years overdue) that mattered. My long winded point is talk to the nurse & tell her all your worries, if it had not have been for the phonecall I had with a nurse I would never have plucked up the courage to go !!

Budgie
27-02-09, 21:21
Hi ladies!! :hugs::D

Thanks for all your support in the lead up to my test. I had it this morning, and I got through it! :yesyes:

It wasn't the best experience I've ever had. I must be honest, it was quite painful. (But I anticipated this, because I haven't had children or been sexually active, and I was honest to the nurse about this, and she was as gentle as she could be) but I'm so glad I got it done, for health reasons, but also because, I know if I'd have shied away from it, it would just be on my mind all the time and I'd get obsessed and depressed about it. :blush:

Afterwards I bought myself a couple of treats. It was certainly a very different way to spend 15/20minutes on a friday morning to what I'm used to :winks: :roflmao: