PDA

View Full Version : Public Space Design and Agoraphobia

snape84
14-02-09, 22:00
Hello,

I am a Landscape Architect doing some research into Inclusive Design - specifically for Agoraphobia. I was wondering if anyone could share what their main problems are with the built environment? Are there any suggestions as to how public space could be better designed for people with Agoraphoba? Is there something that really bugs you about the way parks, squares, streets etc are designed? What would make a difference if anything?

pink daisy
15-02-09, 11:25
Hi

here is my list lol

No wide pavements!!
No bollards
that you can park outside of shops
You can park near the gate of a childrens park so I can go in and ther has to be a seat neat gate lol
I guess seats near exits etc lots of exits so we dont feel shut in

The thing is I really dont think the world has to change for us we have to change!!

Gregor
15-02-09, 16:15
That's a good point P-D. We shouldnt expect the world to change for us - but for us to change to fit into the world.

A few things would make life a little easier, though, whilst we're trying to overcome our problems - such as being able to park outside shops as mentioned. My biggest problem is being able to cross roads, so sometimes i can't go where i want to because, for example, the shop is on the wrong side of the road!

bottleblond
15-02-09, 17:31
Hi Gregor

Ok thing that bugs me the most with modern buildings, especially shops etc, is absolutely everything is more or less enclosed. Gone are the days of a decent high street as they are all being replace by shopping centres. I think this is one of the reason why most agoraphobics fear shopping.

I live in Livingston (Just outside Edinburgh) and it's like concrete city. No high streets, no shops unless they and incased in the actual shopping centre.

Can you come build me a high street please close to my home? Lol

Good post

Lisa
x

pooh
15-02-09, 18:01
I believe the key word you have to keep in mind if you are designing with agoraphobics in mind is EXIT!!

The agoraphobic is always looking for one to feel SAFE and to feel like they have CHOICE.

From my own experience: The layout of road and street in a local town at one part is as follows...wide road traffic going either way public paths either side. Those public paths are flanked on one side by the road and a six foot high cast iron fencing with spikes ( can't jump that if I want a speedy exit), the path on the other side is flanked by the road and a six foot high wall of concrete. There are no exits and I don't feel safe because I cannot see anywhere that I have a choice to leave the path to go to a point of safety if I wish to. The last time I tried to walk down either side of this area of town, I was almost on my knees with panic

Another thing that relieves my anxiety are those areas of public path next to roads that have a railing about waist height.

The one part of the M8 in Glasgow city centre that knocks me into a panic is also the one bit that if you are facing east, has a massive concrete wall on the left hand side. I can't see an exit, I don't feel safe any approaching option to exit the motorway cannot be seen which leads me to panic because my choices have been removed.

Hope this has helped you out a little

Pooh

pink daisy
15-02-09, 19:46
lol pooh im imagining you jumping over a fence haha

pink daisy
15-02-09, 19:47
yes mr gardener pooh has got it to exact!! when I get better im going to make my own town for agorapahobics like me haha xx

pink daisy
15-02-09, 19:50
Yes I hate that the fact every has more and more shopping centres.
Im trying again for ablue badge so i can try shopping again

sandramick
16-02-09, 12:47
i need lots of escape routes , loads more seating areas ,parking very close to the shops .and someone to hold my hand:yesyes:
sandra
x