PDA

View Full Version : panic free

jennie
17-12-03, 16:46
I was 'revisited' by panic attacks a few months ago. (I'd suffered from them about 6 years ago for about 6 months or so). I had been having nightly triggers which would leave me exhausted in the mornings and on edge, frightened, anxious and tearful throughout the day. I found this website about 2 weeks after they started. I read the messages, I posted and received great replies - especially from Meg who constantly put my mind at rest and did not get tired of my questions and long winded emails. Through this website I found an anti panic/hypnotic CD, a yoga cd (c/o Meg). I also took advice from the website regarding nightly panics, such as winding down properly before bed, only going to bed when I was so tired I could not keep my eyes open any longer. Herbal tea's, Bachs Remedy. Reduced my alcohol intake. I've also had a course of Beta Blockers.

The outcome is that the panic attacks became less frequent and now I can happily say I am panic free, I still get a bit anxious at bed time but I stay up and I read and I watch TV until I'm almost unconscious. I have learnt what feeds the dragon and what doesn't. By sticking to my winding down routine each night I get a panic free night. If I ever do feel the waves of panic try to kick in, sometimes I try to rationalise the panic waves and just try to think why they might be there, ie. what may have caused me to be anxious - go through the days events and see if I can target anything that may have got me more me stressed than usual. By this time the panic waves have usually gone. Sometimes, I do the opposite and try to get the panic to kick-in as bad as it can just so I can really practice at making it go away by using positive thoughts and to show it whose boss, when I do think this way - the panic doesn't come at all, it disappears as though it's frightened of me (as oppose to me being frightened of it).

I even got back on the tube last week and felt fine because I trusted myself to cope with and control any anxiety I might have felt whilst in the tunnel.

I also feel confident enough not to take the beta blockers anymore.

I hope my experience gives you all some encouragement and that you all have lovely Christmas and a very happy and positive New Year.

Lots of love,

jennie

Lottie32
17-12-03, 16:54
Well done Jennie

It's so reassuring to hear another success story. There seem to be lots of them at the minute!

You are so right, the advice on offer here really is great. I'm into my second week of going to the gym, and vitamin B complex, and something is making me feel better.

I'm even looking forward to going to the gym this evening, something I never thought I would do! (And mainly cos I know I won't be going through the car wash first).

Congratulations on "getting there". I hope you have a great Christmas and look forward to a fantastic new year

Charlie

Laurie28
17-12-03, 16:56
Jennie,

That is a great success story and thanks very much for coming 'back' to tell it to us. it definetly gives me hope.

I'm happy for you that you are 'panic free' and know how to cope if you feel you are in a situation that could cause you panic.

Hope you have a happy christmas and happy healthy new year

love
Lucky

Meg
17-12-03, 17:27
I would like to add that I know just how hard and consistantly Jennie has worked at this and how determined she has been to see it through.

We had quite an email rapport going over recent weeks and tried all sorts of techniques and she soon found the ones that worked for her.

Message boards like this are fantastic as everyone has something new to contribute and we can all learn from the many different perspectives. Everyone responds differently and has individual fears and concerns and it's all about finding something you can relate to .

There are the basics that most people benefit from, but after that it really is an unique cocktail of things that works for you and - noone ever said this was easy !!.
If they did , you can bet it was either a very long time ago or they've not done it themselves.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Lottie32
17-12-03, 17:52
that is soooo true Meg

I have been a sufferer on and off for twenty years. (2/3rds of my life). I have not challenged myself recently, because I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that this is how I am - live with it.

Since discovering this site, I have realised that that needn't be the case. It may take me a little while longer because my "bad" responses to things are more firmly anchored, but I'm not determined to do it.

None of my friends can believe that I have joined the gym. I've never been a "gym" person, and although I can't say I "enjoy" it, I certainly seem to be feeling a benefit. Whether is psychological or physical, I don't actually care. It works!!!!!!

The great thing about this site is the support and the number of alternative suggestions. I really do think if my mum tries to persuade me to do Yoga again, I shall have to kill her. I did it for two year, to no benefit, so she can't say I didn't try.

Horses for Courses should definitely be a motto for this forum!

It is so encouraging to read your story Jennie, and know that eventually, we will all "get there"

Many thanks for sharing it with us

Charlie

benoo5
17-12-03, 18:24
hi jennie,

well done,a great success story...its people like you,that give hope to those,that are in a dark hole,at this moment,thet read your story,and think,hey! its a new year..lets be positive,lets give it a try...and come march,those same people will be posting their success stories.

great post,well done....bryan.

jennie
17-12-03, 18:43
Charlie,

going to the gym did me wonders. It's what eventually got rid of my panic attacks when they first started 6 years ago as I felt exercising eventually got me in control of my body.

I find it really helps you take control of your mind/self. Ie. when I'm running on the treadmill and my body tells me it cannot run for another minute, I run for another two minutes, just to prove to myself that just because my body wants to give up - I will still carry on running if I want to, ie.I decide if I want to give up and not my aching body (although I'm exhausted!).
So put in an extra 'rep' or an extra minute tonight even if you feel you can't go on any longer.

Working up a good sweat makes you feel great and makes you look great and makes you feel less guilty when you eat loads of chocolate over Xmas - so you can't lose.

Claire x

jennie

Scaredtoolong
17-12-03, 22:12
HI Jennie,

Wow! Congratulations. I can relate to the "dragon" because I basically did the same thing with trying to make myself panic and I CAN'T!!! I can definitely say that Meg(Radar) was a life saver for me. I had lots of reading materials and such but Meg's advice and encouragement is what truly "tipped the scales".

Hurray for you!

Hugs, Susan

Matt
04-01-04, 02:01
quote:Originally posted by jennie

going to the gym did me wonders. It's what eventually got rid of my panic attacks

Ditto exercise has helped me loads! :) I started off walkin wiv a mate of mine then swimming then i bought a bike... Just pushing yourself beond what used to feel "safe" in terms of OMG I'm gunna faint if I keep going and then just keeping going can make u feel a lot better!!

I'm not cured completely but I can do 99.9% and cope with the rest of it!:)