PDA

View Full Version : Words of reassurance needed

nikkinoo
15-02-09, 20:55
Hi all,
I have been poorly on and off since having the flu over Christmas. I have had a constant cold, nosebleeds and sinus problems from then onwards. Last week I went to the Doctors, which I have a fear of, and was given some antibiotics. Half way through taking them I developed another cold and really bad sinus congestion and a stinging feeling at the bridge of my nose and I started to find blood in my phlegm. My hubby assures me that it is coming from my nasal passages as I am constantly blowing my nose and it does bleed on occasions. I did mention this to the Doctor when I went and he said my lungs were clear and not to worry!! This is impossible for me as it has set my panic levels sky hi over the weekend and I have felt physically ill and unable to focus on anything. I am convinced that I am dying!! I just feel so tearful and desperate. I would be so grateful for any help.
Kind regards Nikki. :-) x

majdle
16-02-09, 01:38
Nikki,
this really might come from blowing your nose too much - if the Doc saw you and couldn´t find anything wrong, you´re just fine. I even asked my Dad who´s the head of the local ENT dpt - don´t worry hun, you´ll be just fine. But I know where you´re at - I´ve been fighting the same anxiety situations. I know how it feels. You´ve got my thoughts and prayers.
Maggie

nikkinoo
16-02-09, 09:42
Dear Maggie,
Many thanks for your reply and your words of comfort. I just wish I could be more rational with my thinking! My panic attacks have calmed down so much recently due to hypnotherapy sessions and I have achieved so much. I can now even venture out of the home and enjoy shopping again, which I thought would never happen.
Anything to do with health seems to set me off again and I recoil and want to hide away from everyone I love and care for. Crazy or what! I guess I am just having a blip! You obviously can relate to me, so I am sure you have felt the same at some time. I trust you feel better soon as well.
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply, it really is apreaciated.
Love Nikki. :-) x

mick_uk
16-02-09, 09:56
Hi Nikki,
Glad to hear your hypnotherapy sessions helped. I've been thinking of trying that for ages. It's about the only treatment I havn't tried. Did you use the sessions to help you relax more?

take care

mick

nikkinoo
16-02-09, 14:06
Dear Mick,
Yes, hypnotherapy was the right choice for me. My panics started after a bad miscarriage and my fear of illness and hospitals grew. I beacme withdrawn and could not face the world. I never slept and hardly ate, let alone venture out doors. I was a total wreck! I was prescribed various anti depressants, but they made things far worse and I seemed to be able to over ride the sleeping pills!
I found an excellent hypnotherapist who helped me face my fears and re- trained my thought patterns. It is an expensive process, but I felt it was worth every penny. My therapist discharged me before Christmas as she said that I no longer needed her help. I felt totally elated and so much more confident. That is, until this sinus thing cropped up. I am trying to rationalise things as best I can, but it is the "blood" thing that makes me so scared!
I am going to the Dr's again tonight, so I will let you know how I get on.
Take care.
Nikki. :-) x

mick_uk
16-02-09, 14:41
Thanks Nikki,
I wanted to try it to help my sleeping. I'm taking zolpiclone at the moment but I want to do away with all medication this year and I thought hypnotherapy might help my sleeping. I've tried all the usual stuff, warm drinks,relaxing music etc but It doesn't seem the answer at the moment.
The sinus thing is a $££*&^&*** pain. Can't seem to shake it off. I know just how you feel.
Hope you start to feel better soon

take care

mick

nikkinoo
16-02-09, 14:59
Dear Mick,
I took zoplicone to help my sleeping, but I could still take a pill and not sleep! The sheer panic of not being able to sleep is unbearable, especially when you have work or need to be up at a certain time.
Luckily I work for myself, so I altered my working day to suit my needs. I removed the clock from the bedroom and stopped focusing on the time. I started going to bed a the same time every night, reading until I felt relaxed and snuggled down and listened to classic FM and left the reading light on, so that I did not feel under pressure to sleep. I also use the Bach Rescue Remedy Night Time drops. Within a week I began to sleep for a few haurs at a time. Now I hardly have any problems with sleep! I still stick to a routine though.
Hope this helps.

mick_uk
16-02-09, 15:20
Hi again,
I've noticed that too about zopiclone, some nights it just doesn't work at all. Funny thing is I removed my bedroom clock a couple of nights ago. Thought that might help. Being self employed has helped me. I'm sure if I was working for someone else I would not have a job right now. I'm lucky I can arrange the hours for my work around when I feel up to it, which lately hasn't been often.

mick

kate
16-02-09, 15:23
I too had a horrible virus, more or less lost my voice for 2 days and then sinusitis.

Has anti b's but didn't clear completely. Seemed to be blowing my nose constantly and I had blood in it as well.

Has finally cleared now but took a good 3 months.

Kate

mick_uk
16-02-09, 15:51
Hi Kate,
Mines been going on for about that period now. Stopped for a few days a couple of weeks ago then came back. I think it's the sinusitis that is the worse thing about it. Had some antibiotics but they didn't seem to do anything. So much for my new years resolution to get myself fit and well :D

mick

nikkinoo
16-02-09, 23:02
Dear Kate,
So sorry you are suffering too. I have been back to the Doctors tonight and told him my concerns about the blood and he asured me it was nothing to worry about, it was just my sisnuses draining and it would right itself without further antiboitics. I guess I just got paranoid over the weekend as I have a fear of blood! I have never come across anyone else having this and I just thought it must be serious. These panic attacks make me over react big time and I must learn to keep them in check!
Take care and I hope you feel better soon.
Nikki. :-) x