PDA

View Full Version : Scared of an anaphylactic fit!!!

madcowmonty
17-02-09, 02:22
I am really stressing out at the moment and need some advice. Will try to make this as short as possible. I have a big phobia of having allergic reactions to anything. Lost 10kg, decided to treat myself to a facial, sounds good, ended up buying skincare products, went home and looked at ingredients and found they have grape seed oil in them. Thought ok great not allergic to grapes (or am I). Did the worst thing i could and googled, and found out the people have had anaphylactic fits while eating white grapes! Paced the floor and told myself not be so stupid. Decided to eat one grape and see what happens (have been eating grapes all my life - but when googled so have these other people). Anyway ate the grape, instantly i began to cough (is this it, am I having a fit?). Paced the floor for 2 hours waiting for my throat to swell (it did -my sign of panic attack is coming). Pacing thinking what if my throat is not swelling from anxiety, did heaving breathing - yep still breathe. Nothing happened - great can use skincare products. Only used a little at time - waited 2 hours no reaction, continued to use. Having been using on my face for 2 nights. Last night before i used it started in get a rash on chest and neck. Asked husband if he could see a rash, he said no, how can he not see it, it is a big red rash on my neck, asked eldest son, no he couldn't see it (or maybe a little). Decided it was in my mind and went to bed. Woke up during the night panicking, looked in mirror - yep rash is there! Woke husband, asked him, he said alittle only where you have been scratching. PANIC!!!! I ate the grape and used the skincare my mind is now set that this is that start of an anaphylactic fit!!! I know no one has ever died from using skincare products, but my mind will not stop saying ALLERGIC TO GRAPES - ANAPHYLACTIC FIT!!!! What is this rash, could it be manifested in my mind by anxiety. Please help, i really need advice on this, driving me and my family nuts (not to mention paying big bucks for these products that i am too scared to use);

countrygirl
17-02-09, 22:43
You are not in any way or form having anaphylactic reaction - if you were you would be dead by now believe me. I have been with someone who had anaphylactic reaction to shellfish and it was horrifying, she literally collapsed and her face and throat swelled up in front of me - she was gasping for breath and sounded like a child with croup. Thankfully the village Dr s surgery was literally a minutes walk away and the Dr ran in the shop and injected her with loads of adrenalin while waiting for the amubulance. She was very near to death in the 5 mins it took for the Dr to be told and run in. SO as I said a true anaphylactic reaction would have killed you very quickly.

I think if you read your post again you will see how you are just panicking and there is no real basis for your panic.

I have a friend who is slightly allergic to ginger and she instantly gets a definite bright red skin reaction to her face and neck and her lips go numb and her face puffy and possibly if she continued to eat ginger she may put herself in danger but she has inadvertanlty eaten ginger at least once a year for many years and her reaction never gets any worse but again its obvious that she is reacting and everyone can see it very clearly.

Sorry if I sound as if I am lecturing you but just trying to reassure you that you are panicking rathe than anything else.

madcowmonty
18-02-09, 02:51
Thankyou so much for your reply, and you are so right. In the midst of our panick we tend to dramatise things, and i do feel a bit silly for thinking it. Looking back, I now believe what i have is a nervous rash. Thankyou once again for reassuring me. Feel like a bit of a goose really, now looking back.

Tamara01
10-04-10, 13:15
This made me giggle a bit (sorry), sounds like a bit of paranoia. I suggest you take an allergy test or something, just so you could rest your mind a bit. Anaphylaxis (http://www.childwiki.com/index.php/Body) is no laughing matter.

sb001f8994
10-04-10, 16:32
Im glad Im not the only one scared of trying new things for fear of reactions! I have found anything with msg (monosodium glutomate) in it is a no go area for me as it brings on migraines. I found this out when seeing a dietician when pregnant with my daughter 16 years ago. Since then Ive googled most food additives and now all I eat is my own cooked foods (labels being scrutinised before purchase). Everything is fresh, I make my own sauces, soups, pizzas and am now considering trying my own ice cream...do you know what goes into that stuff?!!!
Anyways this is getting out of hand and Im dying to have a good curry but Id talk myslef into a panic just ordering it, more home made curry for me...boring!!!