PDA

View Full Version : Pathways To Work

Tim878
17-02-09, 13:46
I've been on incapacity for the last 18 months. I suffer from agoraphobia, depression, psychosis and panic attacks. Oh the fun. I've been taking cognitive behavioural therapy at my home for the last 8 weeks. Trying to get better and trying to deal with my messed up situation.

The last two months Ive spent a nightmare of going back and forth with the job centre explaining to them why im unable to attend the medical. Finally they do their job and check the mountain of paper work regarding my unbalanced state of mind. So they finally stamp the form that im unable to attend the medical and I also am eligible for incapacity benefits.

Then today I recieved another letter from the job centre. Apparently somebody with agoraphobia, depression, psychosis and anxiety/panic attacks is eligible to work as i have passed the personal 1 capability test. I spoke to the job centre who informed me that If im not recieving DLA and I don't need 24/7 care so they will arrange a meeting every month. When I don't turn up at the job centre they will reduce my benefits by 20%. They are aware of the situation and yet they will continue to set a meeting every month and every time I don't turn up. They will reduce my benefits by a further 20%. Untill finally it reaches 20p. When it reaches this they will carry on paying 40p every two weeks. So im looking forward to managing my living expenses with 40p a fortnight. There is also no appeal system against this.

Just when I start to feel im making progress with the CBT I have to deal with this fascist bulls**t. Goverment policy which ties the hands of those working at the job centre and kicks those off benefits who need it. So now every month that I don't manage to make significant progress towards being able to step outside, get over my depression, deal with my anxiety/panic attacks and completley change my interpretation of the world. I'll have the insentive that I won't have enough money to make ends meet the longer this goes on.

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

Cat80
17-02-09, 14:28
I have GAD and social phobia. I am claiming income support (nothing else). I have to go to the job centre every 3 months for a pathways to work interview (was every month but she could see it stressed me out so now once every 3 months). I have my medical on Thursday (a year after my last one).

I don't see how they can stop your money if you have proof from your dr etc. Something is not right for sure. Have they offered you a phone interview each month? I was offered this as a one off if I was too anxious to make my appointment.

reallyfedup
17-02-09, 14:36
have you tried to contact citizens advice bureau for support? Is there a local MIND contact? Is there an advocacy service who could support you? Take care x

Tim878
17-02-09, 15:05
I have somebody from the mental health team visit me every month along with a GP visit every 3-6 months. Then there is also the CBT which is every week. I've had extensive interviews and I've been seen on numerous occasions by all sorts of mental health proffesionals. The medical part of the benefits understood I was inable to come to them for a medical and the information was passed onto them regarding my health.

This interview is completley different from the medical and I must attend. Much like I must of attended the medical. I've tried constantly to get through to CAB. No luck so far but I will continue trying to get through to them.

leon_telford
17-02-09, 16:31
This sums up everything that is wrong with this Country.

If you were a 21 year old with 8 kids the state would keep you, yet if you suffer from this they won't.

f**k Brown & Labour!

This post has been automatically edited by the NMP post filter

Tim878
17-02-09, 17:07
I've spoken to my CBT therapist/doctor. Who seemed annoyed to say the least that this has even happend. He spoke with a manger at job centre about this. Finally I recieved a call from the job centre stating that they are aware of the situation now and that my appointment that 'I must attend' otherwise my benefits would stop has now been post poned for 3 months.

After 3 months. They will check on me to see how I'm doing and if my circumstances have changed.

So a thanks to my mental health team.

I can guarntee though, that other people are in the same boat as me and have most likely recived the same information from the job centre as me. If you have, speak to your mental health team or maybe Citizens advice bureau.

Yvonne
17-02-09, 20:28
Normally with the mental health teams they will have some support worker who can accompany you to such things. The fact that you have to be accompanied by let's say a "carer" for your condition would, in my opinion say it all. You can't work!. It really winds me up with these stupid people - you're suffering terribly and probably can't get out and about but hey you are supposed to just lose your condition and attend at Job Centre. What is it that they don't understand eh?????

Also - yes 8 kids, live in boyfriend secret) on the dole , best mobile phone, loves a drink, and no questions asked - that's how this country works now. No offence to any unmarried mothers on benefits because the legitimate ones deserve help and have my every sympathy.

Could say more about the state of this country but I had better not.

PoppyC
21-03-09, 22:26
Hi
I was reading earlier about the changes to Incapicity Benefit. I think its terrible that people who suffer with agoraphobia and all other mental health issues, unless very severe are being forced out to the job centre every so often to be interviewed/assessed and if they dont go, they get their benefit cut by £20. So, a person who has worked all their life, becomes mentally unwell, cant get out the house and gets £20 deducted for not attending the job centre. The reason this is happening is that there are so many cases of benefit fraud in this country - due to that it is affecting the genuine cases. I used to work for the DHSS - so I do know that you are entitled to ask for someone to come out to you at home as you are too unwell to attend. If they cut your benefit due to that then appeal against it. You may originally not pass the test for incap benefit but appeal and it should be overturned. So much is wrong in this country due to people leaching off our benefits system, so genuine cases get dealt with as though they were scroungers. :shrug: