PDA

View Full Version : anyone feel funny as they are going off to sleep?

jadeyjade
17-02-09, 23:38
i'm scared of going to bed! because whenever i relax and start to nod off, i wake up feeling weird, it's like my body weighs nothing and i'm paralysed for a few seconds after i wake up. then i feel like i cant breathe because i worry what was happening to me. someone help!

tommy1982
18-02-09, 00:34
This is very common, let me reply here it will bump the post i cant remember the name for it, maybe someone else does?

PHOBIA MAN
18-02-09, 02:53
you can relax, this is very normal, I've had it myself, when you go to sleep your mind kind of 'turns off' your motor function (movement) and sometimes when you wake this may take a few seconds to 'turn on' again AND YOU WILL REGAIN MOVEMENT!! do some deeeep breathing before you go to sleep to settle yourself and remember sleep happens all by it'self, there is no need to 'try' to sleep, just relax, now get some sleep!

xBettyBoopx
18-02-09, 03:00
Hi Jadey

I can't remember the name of it either, but I do get it sometimes. I have all kinds of things when I'm asleep/waking up, so I went to neuroligist & he told me that this paralysis is common & that he had it sometimes too!

Apparently our bodies go into paralysis mode so as we don't act out our dreams, but sometimes we awake before our muscles can 'awaken', which is only for a few seconds but seems like ages. Well thats what I remember him saying in a round-about way :scared15: :)

I know it is frightening, when I get it, I can't breathe, it's like my lungs have stopped working & I fear that I'm gonna die. Luckily I don't get it that often, but tis very frightening. Glad to say that it does only last a few seconds, but by then me heart is racing & like you, I daren't go back to sleep again. If I remember rightly, neuroligist told me that there is medication for this, but I didn't get it 'cause I'm on enuff meds, lol.

I hope that I've been of some help & that you get a good nights sleep.

Take care

Els
xxx

xBettyBoopx
18-02-09, 03:02
Hey phobia-man, we must have been answering at same time, lol. What you said is very much what I said, I'm glad I didn't get it wrong, lol.:yesyes: :yesyes:

jadeyjade
18-02-09, 19:36
Thanks so much guys, just glad to hear it's not just me getting it! It freaks me out so much and along with all the other symptoms coming and going I'm like aaaaah what's happening! LOL thanks a lot xxx