PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is anxiety?

Crispy Cornflake
17-12-03, 20:52
My GP has diagnosed me as suffering from anxiety. Problem is, I'm not sure if I know what it is to be honest. I have all sorts of weird symptoms yet was fine until about two months ago. The GP sent me to the hospital to have an ECG and a chest x-ray in order to put my mind at rest. However, while the x-ray came back as normal, he has sent me to have another ECG as the other one showed up what he called a normal variant (or something like that). He said it wasn't dangerous, but was sending me for another test as it could have been caused through a virus for example or be just the way I am. I have read a few people on this board saying exercise has relieved their symptoms which has much interest for me. I used to be really fit until about a year ago through running and cycling, but it has fell by the wayside this year because of a number of things that have happened. I would like to get back to the fitness thing, but my symptoms make me think I will faint or worse if I over exert myself. I feel really light headed at times and feel as if I am going to faint and my heart starts to beat faster. My GP prescribed citalopram, but because of the nature of my work I would have to declare to my employers that I was taking them and I don't want them to know my business so I haven't tried them yet. I would like to give them a go to see if they help as I can't go on much longer like this. It's really doing my head in. Does this sound like anxiety? Or panic even? Just typing this out helps actually, so expect more inane ramblings from the crispy one before too long :)

PinkLady
17-12-03, 21:23
Definetly tghe symptoms. I have just recently got back into
exercising (jazzercise) and I love it but it has taken me awhile to do as I worry about my breathing and heart rate and getting dizzy.
I have a friend that has had to push me there more than once and after I feel great. The exercise as I read is the best and at this point I rely on it. I think of it as running away from axiety.
If you are willing to take medication to help, why not do the natural thing and feel good with no side effects. You drink lots of water while doing your exercise increase your health and if you were to get sick this in turn is your best defense. I could write a book about anxiety symptoms. Continue posting until you cover your basis.

Trina

Meg
17-12-03, 21:29
Hi Crispy

Anxiety is a normal response to a stressor , so something stressful where you feel fear or apprehension.

An anxiety disorder is when our response (either physical or in our thoughts) are out of proportion to the stressor ie getting very stressed and upset to go out shopping - an everyday activity.

The net effect is that we don't cope very well with these triggers or stressors and perhaps try to avoid them or think about them much of the time.

'I would like to get back to the fitness thing, but my symptoms make me think I will faint or worse if I over exert myself. I feel really light headed at times and feel as if I am going to faint and my heart starts to beat faster.'

You have an innappropriate fear of returning to fitness from your thoughts causing you to feel fear,(in absence of a physical illness) which is then translated into physical symptoms of fight and flight which is a response created by your nervous system.

On a scale of 1 - 10.

Asleep is a 1
Calm is a 3
Everyday life is a 5
Anxious a 7
Anxiety attack an 8
Panic would be a 10 .

The aim of people with panic attacks when they start to heal is to talk themselves down from a potential panic attack to an anxiety attack, which doesn't involve a large whoosh of adrenaline.

Then they often plateau there a while and then learn to diffuse any situation so they don't even escalate to an anxiety attack.

Does that help ?

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

stephen
17-12-03, 21:37
hi,crispy.i started having "the panics"about 7 months ago.i still cant make any sense of it all .i,m 45 physically fit and until this happened i thought of myself as "reasonably"confident.i,m o.k. at work (mostly!)with me its shopping and driving that are the big problems.i also feel as though i,m going to faint in those situations .do you faint at other times ?if not its very,very unlikely you will faint during a panic attack .my gp has been so helpful one of the best bits of advice i was given was to "watch"my breathing as shallow breathing can make a panic attack worse so i try to breathe "properly" and i find it helps .i guess there are no magic answers but this is a really good site with loads of people who will empathise with exactly what you,re going through .take care. stephen.

uryjm
17-12-03, 22:21
Crispy
Definately sounds like anxiety to me, and feeling faint (while not fainting) is a classic symptom. Browse these boards and I'm sure you'll find a lot of reassurance. I've found exercise helps, as does learning to breathe and relax properly and, in the end, acceptance of the condition and yourself. It might be frustrating trying to find what works for you, but keep going. Personally I shy away from drugs (apart from alcohol) but again, whatever gets you through the night (or day!) Good luck, keep posting.

Jim

Crispy Cornflake
17-12-03, 23:38
Thanks for the replies everyone. There's nothing in particular that brings these feelings on. I can feel fine one minute, then as if I'm going to pass out the next. I also get this weird, spaced out "vague" feeling as well. And Jim, you mentioned alcohol. I don't like to drink now as I had a really bad panic attack the day after a drinking spree (admittedly I had drank way too much the night before), so now the slightest hint of a hangover leaves me feeling panicky. Pity, as I am quite partial to a drink (ahem). As for the exercising...well my GP said there is no physical reason why I can't resume my training, but it's these feelings I get. They do scare me sometimes.

Lottie32
18-12-03, 10:50
I get anxious "for no reason".

The reason that you are anxious with no defined trigger is that you are not relaxed.

I have just started going to the gym, and it has made a huge difference to me. It really has. It is the one place where I cannot "worry" about how I;m feeling, whether I feel sick, my breathing is not right, my heart isn't beating properly etc., because I am too tired and aching to do so!

Start keeping a little diary. I find that if I over indulge the night before, I am gittery and anxious the next day. This accompanies my hangover.

Now I know this I can use it to my advantage. If I have got something on the next day, I DON'T drink too much the night before. If I have nothing to do the next day, I allow myself to have a drink, knowing that I am quite likely to feel panicky the next day, BUT I don't allow myself to worry about feeling panicky, as I know it's alcohol induced.

We are all scared, but without sounding too harsh, the more you refrain from doing things because of scarey feelings, the harder it becomes to do anything. Often I have to "force" myself to do things, but ultimately you will feel better from doing them, and life in general stops being so scarey.

So make it a new years resolution to exercise twice a week. And remember, exercise can also include things like yoga, which is very good for relaxation, and might help your problem.

Good luck

Charlie

nomorepanic
18-12-03, 21:26
Hi Crispy

The only thing I can add to these great replies is that you could just try some gentle exercise like swimming. That will help with the breathing as well cos you will tend to breathe normally as you swim along.

Keep your chin up and just take things slowly.

Nicola

Meg
18-12-03, 22:32
Hi Crispy,

You might want to consider really looking after yourself properly for a month and give yourself a chance to heal.

Quit caffiene, stop alcohol, get exercising and learn real relaxation and correct breathing techniques, start a Vit B complex and get as much sleep as possible.

After a month review it and reintroduce gently the things you're really missing but do give your system a chance to recover.

I would also suggest you think about what goes on in your thoughts moments before an attack. For some its the fear of being alone and being 'sure' something awful is going to befall you, for others the physical symptoms are so scary, for others - it's being out with strangers and thinking you're going to go crazy etc . We all have our individual foibles.

It may take a few go's to figure it out but this is the biggest favour you can do for yourself. After that , you're pretty much on the last bend before the finishing line, the home straight is practising erradicating it.

Once you've worked out what are your personal triggers and thoughts, then you can start to challenge them and set up some positive affirmations and mantras and techniques to get you through difficult situations.

We're all here to help you through it , take the time to help yourself.

Meg

Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Crispy Cornflake
22-12-03, 15:49
It's not just scarey feelings I have though. I am convinced I have something seriously wrong with me as I keep getting pains and twinges in my chest. Sometimes I feel a little short of breath and light headed. Is this normally associated with anxiety.

Radar, the month of really looking after myself is a really interesting point. I am going to try this once the festive period is over. Do you mind me asking what the Vit B complex is for? And could you recommend something for me to by (vit B)? So many questions, but everyone is really helpful. Thanks everyone.

Laurie28
22-12-03, 16:16
Hiya crispy,

if the Gp has given you the all clear then you probably won't have anything majorly wrong with you. Pains and twinges in the chest are extremely common anxiety symptoms and exercise seems to help alot of sufferers. Vitamin B is to boost your immune system (found in your green veggies)

The thoughts you get with anxiety are very frightening, try and replace them with nicer more positive thoughts. Stop yourself when these thoughts intrude and think of something more positive. Try exercising and changing you diet (if it needs it) There are some great posts here on diet and I read an article last night saying that our diets cause most of out anxieties

(Someone pls correct me if i am wrong about the VIT B pls)

Take Care

Love
lucky

Lottie32
22-12-03, 16:54
Vitamin B Complex (i.e. a mix of the B vitamins including B6, B12 etc.) is commonly available. I got my first lot from Boots, but all chemist/health shops sell it. Also available from www.questvitamins.co.uk.

The vitamin Bs do lots of things, from helping with pre-menstrual tension, to helping relieve stress, to helping the body maximise the energy from food.

I've been taking these tablets for a couple of weeks, and started going to the gym, and I actually feel a bit better. Which is remarkable, and all my friends are shocked, as I am the most anti gym person you could imagine. (It has also given me a hatred on inanimate objects, and it's a toss up between whether the cycle machine or the cross trainer gets it first).

I found it really hard to believe that all the things that were wrong with me could possibly be caused by anxiety. But i have learnt to accept that they are, and to "ignore" them. I haven't (touch wood) been to see the doctor for nearly a year now (and then it was only because I had a sinus infection).

I would never have believed it a while ago, but once you start to take some positive steps to better health, and start to change your thoughts so they become more positive, the physical symptoms will abate! Honestly.

If your not going to start your "Health Month" till after Xmas, don't forget to use the Sales to stock up in Holland and Barratt on your vitamin supplements.

Take care

Charlie

Crispy Cornflake
23-12-03, 01:12
I am actually hoping the health month will lead to permanant changes in my life. I'm going back to the the doctors tomorrow though as I feel really awful - short of breath and I feel really bloated and just really, really tired.

Mind you, I will say that my diet needs looking at. I tend to take the easy option and eat what's readily available (i.e junk food) instead of making an effort to make something more healthy. I appreciate that my diet may not be all it should be, but could it be responsible for how I'm feeling? I don't drink alcohol that often, but when I do I tend to binge, which isn't exactly good either.

Fitness should hopefully come back fairly quickly. I was really fit until about a year ago, and could run a marathon in a reasonable time. It's just getting back into the routine of it that seems to be a problem. Mind, the fact that I keep thinking I'll faint or worse if I over exert myself doesn't help matters either.

All this seems to have come on all of a sudden. Is everything I've described normally associated with anxiety? And can anxiety be brought on by events that have happened in your life? Four major things have happened in my life during the last 12 months, including the death of my mother 5 months ago. Is this likely to cause anxiety? The symptoms I have seem very "physical" and real to me. I feel guilty going back and forward to my GP all the time incase he thinks I'm wasting his time, though I have to say that he doesn't give that impression.

Lottie32
23-12-03, 09:58
Dear Crispy

YES everything you are experiencing CAN be put down to anxiety!

The physical symptoms of anxiety are very real however, and this can increase your anxiety levels as you have discovered.

You will find that lots of us in the early stages virtually "camp out" in the doctors surgery. It can be very hard to believe that you feel this bad just because you are "wound up". I was like this, but I haven't visited the doctor since the spring.

Acceptance is the first stage to recovery, but this can be very hard. I am not advising you NOT to go to the doctors, and sometimes you need to go, just to put your mind at rest, it can alieviate some of the anxiety if you are told by a medical professional that you are fine. All doctors should be sympathetic irrespective of whether your symtoms are the result of a disease, or a manifestation of your anxiety.

Shortness of breath, tiredness and bloating can all be symptomatic of a sedentary lifestyle. Why not use this opportunity to begin a simple exercise routine again, and see if they symptoms ease!

Bereavement, traumatic experiences, and trauma in your life can all bring on anxiety related illnesses, and you are not alone in this. Many people on this site found that their illness started as a result of a "bad" experience. My father died four years ago, combined with my gran having a stroke. My mother "lost the plot" for aproximately a year after he died, and my gran needed quite intense help and support for about a year to recover from her stroke. My anxiety was fine whilst all this was going on, but I started suffering from anxiety and panic, just when everybody else was starting to feel better! It didn't help that I was in an unhappy relationship with somebody who was not particularly supportive.

I have stopped worrying about why I feel like this, and have learnt to accept that this is how I am. I have also learnt that a lot of the physical symptoms I suffer from are purely a result of my anxiety, and that if I treat the anxiety - diet, relaxation, sleep, exercise, reduce alcohol consumption, I soon feel better.

Please try not to worry too much, get yourself checked out at the doctors, and start the new year as you intend to go on. Healthy diet, exercise, vitamin supplements, relaxation etc.

It can be very hard to come to terms with, but once you have, and start to take some positive action, you really will start to feel better.

Take care

Charlie

Meg
23-12-03, 18:18
Vitamin B is the vital vitamin that keeps our nervous system together .
If you really eat badly then you may also like to consider a good multi mineral and vitamin too.

Meg

thebronko
28-12-03, 15:13
Crispy,

Got the exact same symptoms as you... Started about a month ago right out of the blue. feel as though something is physicly whrong with me..Keep me posted on things that help...I am new to this as well

Am currently on Citalopram...but feel the side effects are pretty bad...with no prolonged ease...just spaced out most of the time...

buggy999
28-12-03, 20:41
Hey Crispy,
I'm a very fit and healthly 22 year old male.
I suddenly started experiencing anxiety about 2 months ago. It felt like my world was falling apart. My symptoms seem to be decreasing with each week that passes. I do still however suddenly feel very low from time to time.
Acceptance of anxiety is definately the way forward to recovery... if you start to feel the anxiety growing try and think "So What!"... and concentrate on your breathing. I also find that meditation also helps a lot. Stick with it... YOU WILL GET BETTER! Try not to judge yourself and your feelings. I know how hard it can be but the way through is acceptance of the anxiety rather than trying to battle it!!!! Excercise is also a great release.

jonny
28-12-03, 21:18
Buggy-

Good to see such positive comments and its great to hear you are on the up!

Nice one mate.

Jon

I used to be extremely indecisive but now I am not so sure...

Meg
28-12-03, 21:58
Hi Buggy,

Good to get an update. I was wondering how things were for you.

Well done.

Meg

thebronko
29-12-03, 17:06
Trevor,

These symptoms really do get you down....I too thought I had lung cancer, brain tumor, Diabetes even asthma.
The feelings you get are so weird you don’t know what is wrong..

After reading some of the forums, I think you start to see that the problem is widespread and you don’t really have a disease but an illness called anxiety. You will learn a lot from Radar she knows whats shes talking about..Any uncertain feelings you have ask meg.

As for the Citalopram, I started to take them last Monday 20mg. Side affects are a bit harsh for me but I know they will get better the longer I take them. Take one in the morning, feel as though I'm stoned for about the first 2 hours then the yawning, tiredness and anxiety feeling sets in for a couple of hours...after that the effects wear off and you start to feel hyper for the rest of the day. Have noticed yesterday and today the side effects are subsiding a little but still there.. The thing is that after taking your morning pill, you are prepared for the side effects and know after a couple of days how to cope.

Almost stopped taking the drug as my anxiety seemed to be getting worse when taking the pill but that is one of the side effects which will ease when the drug is in your system.

Today has been my best day so far and I know it has to do with the drugs...little things that used to bug me and make me feel uptight, things that frustrated or annoyed me don’t bother me anymore, I feel really relaxed with myself even though I feel kind of hyper at times....I am hoping tomorrow is even better. Don’t get me wrong, the anxiety is still there, you can feel the little twinge in your throat every now and again or the butterflies in the stomach but the Citalopram does help.

As far as drinking goes, I haven't really been drinking much due to the way I've been feeling had the odd couple of beers but nothing heavy.

Give the Citalopram a try, don’t worry its not poison just 20mg of relief and you will feel better eventually.

Take it easy bud

Regards,

Robert