PDA

View Full Version : Discontinuation of Cipralex

nicjames
19-07-05, 13:28
Hi. I’m new to this site... in fact I’m new to looking up info and support on the net in relation to anxiety and medication.

I’ve been on Cipralex for 18 months and in the past six months have tried to slowly come off it about four different times but everytime I’ve tried the side effects have been horrible so I’ve started taking it again. I tried going from 10mg a day to 5 mg a day and i was fine. Then i went from taking 5mg for two days and then off one day. That was fine. Then i went to taking 5mg one day and nothing for two days and this is where the side effects start. I’m a flight attendant and i just cant work when i start to feel the side effects. I get nauseas, i get extremely dizzy, like I’m going to pass out, i cant drive cause i feel so off balance, i get the spasms in my neck which are horrible when trying to sleep and especially before a flight, I’m tired, I get pains in my legs.

Anyway because i keep trying to come off it with no success i discussed with my doctor about just stopping it all together and going cold turkey. So with his consent this is what i have done. He said i would probably feel the side effects for a week or two.

Well that was 11 days ago and if i don’t start feeling normal again I’m going to go insane! I’ve been taking Neurobion which is basically just a vitamin B tablet and also 5mg of folic acid a day which my doctor said would help with electric shock and spasm feeling.. which although i am still getting, its not as bad as the other times when I’ve tried to come of it.

Basically what i want to know from anyone out there is.... really how long can i expect to feel like this? I did find one thing that stop the feelings... alcohol! I know, i know... not a solution but hell i had a good night without feeling like i was going to pass out 24/7! Seriously I would love to hear from anyone who has come off it or is trying to. I feel a little alone in all this. Although I tried taking to my friends I know they don’t understand and my family live 10000km away. Thanx :)

vernon
19-07-05, 14:40
Hi nic, Welcome to the site hope you do get the help you need here.
Sarah was on cipralex for about that time and she has now stoped she will answer your questions when she see your post. I have been on cipralex for about a year now but havnt tried to cut down or come off yet. but in the past with other meds i have cut them in half and cut down a lot slower than youe mentiond. like cut down from 10mg to 1 and a half 5s making it 7.5 mg every other day etc. Try not to do the drink one it realy made me feel good but ended up drinking heavy and daily for about 40 years and that was hell comming off, I stopped just under 2 years ago and only just starting to get over it. anyway keep posting and hope you get the help you want. take care Vernon

Meg
19-07-05, 18:09
You could Pm Sadie - she came off suddenly and struggled but stayed of it.

Think its an individual thing as to how long but I've heard 2-3 weeks.

**5mg for two days and then off one day. That was fine. Then i went to taking 5mg one day and nothing for two days and this is where the side effects start.**

Did you do one on one off and how long for..? You say you've tried to come off several times in past 6 months - sounds like you're coming of too fast each time.

Each step down can take a month to settle onto to... so take about 3-4 months to come off.

Anyway , hope this way works for you.. let us know how you do

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

seh1980
19-07-05, 21:09
I came off Cipralex really slowly in February. I was on 10mg for 13 months then came down to 10mg one day and 5mg the next and I took it REALLY slowly from then when decreasing the dosage. I did have some seide-effects mainly dizziness and weird vision but nothing too unpleasant. as long as you know it's just the withdrawal symptoms, you have nothing to be worried about..:D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

sal
19-07-05, 23:39
Hi andd welcome to the site.

I am on the same medication as you and it was good to read your post and i am still yet to attemp to reduce it let alone come of it.

So you have done really well even if at times it has being really hard.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.