PDA

View Full Version : ME AGAIN

QEISER
19-02-09, 20:04
hi There Does Anyone Know How To Stop Thinking, And How To Stop All The Irrational Thoughts, Their Driving Me Mad!! Can Any1 Help Or Give Any Tips??:)

Paul goforit
20-02-09, 11:25
I dont really thinks its possible to stop thinking.

You need to divert your thoughts to something else. Easier said than done, but it is possible, it takes time, and loads of patience.

I deal with intrusive, irrational or repeative thoughts, by simply telling myself 'STOP', or even shouting. 'STOP'. At that point divert your thoughts elsewhere, to something that is easy and tangible, maybe a hobby, or exercise, or something that you easily cope with.

If irrational thoughts appear again, repeat the 'STOP', and again divert your thoughts.

It takes a while, but I find it works.

Regards

Paul

Bill
21-02-09, 05:05
Our minds are filled with milions of thoughts every day and often we don't choose what we think. When our minds ae driven by fear and anxiety, the most common thoughts that will enter our minds will be irrational thoughts that will induce an anxious reaction.

These thoughts will keep coming back because they frighten us and if we try to build barriers to prevent ourselves thinking these thoughts, we never de-sensitise ourselves to the thoughts so the same thoughts will continue to surface because we remain frightened by them.

Fighting and trying to resist thoughts will mean they'll keep coming back. Allowing thoughts in and accepting them as just thoughts will stop them bothering us.

The trick is to treat all thoughts in exactly the same manner whether they are happy or frightening thoughts by allowing them all in as just thoughts created by our minds without feeling any physical anxious reaction to them.

For instance, a happy thought creates no anxious reaction because the thought doesn't frighten us. We need to treat a frightening thought in the same manner as just a thought that can't harm us or anyone else because it is purely just a thought created by our fear and anxiety.

Once we learn to allow all thoughts in without any anxious reaction, the irrational frightening thoughts then stop coming back because they no longer frighten us.

When we are in a situation that causes us to feel anxious, distraction can help us to stop focussing on our anxious symptoms and so help to keep us relaxed.:winks: