redrock
20-02-09, 02:50
hi al

not sure where to start.

am starting citalopram tomorrow. will it help my mood

apreciate any advice

mau
20-02-09, 03:03
All I can tell you is that it has removed that soul destroying, lump of lead of doom and gloom that weighed heavily in the pit of my stomach.

redrock
20-02-09, 04:06
thank you for that.

at present i am systematically pushing all who are close to me away because of my anger and inability to interact and most of all laugh

it is a downward spiral

i have read that it can take some time to take effect. was this the case with yourself?

Patty
20-02-09, 12:18
Hi Redrock, :)

:welcome: to NMP. It's great that you've joined. There is so much information & help here.

Best wishes :D

Gettinghappier
20-02-09, 12:59
Hello I am new here too and actually came looking for advice about this but have now realised I also just found somewhere that is going to help in a much bigger way ;)

Ok. I have been on it since December 08. I was previously on something else which left me feeling like a zombie so I was apprehensive about taking anything else. The thing at the time I had gotten to a point where I was trying so hard to "keep it together" that I was basically falling apart so I decided to give it a go because emotionally I was just all over the place.

It took a couple of weeks to notice a real difference and initially I was a little bit more anxious but then I did find myself 'relaxing" and "not minding" a lot more. What is interesting to point out is that at the time I started to take the tablets I also stopped working and went home to my parents to completely switch off for a time so I can't be 100% sure if all of my progress was due to the drugs or a combination of the two.

From not wanting to leave the house I have now caught a bus, gone out to see friends in my hometown and even caught a train into the City! I still have some anxiety things to work through but it is all becoming manageable again.

I'm glad i took them in the short term but I am now wanting to come off them as recently I have started to get periods of feeling very "angry". I am feeling really good for a few days and then I'll get a day when I am just snapping at everyone and feeling really, really mad to the point where I could just smash the room up - not that I would but I certainly imagine it. Did anyone else get this? A good friend who has been through depression said it was a sign that I was getting better and the therapist I have just started seeing said it is probably resistance from my subconscious to hold onto old coping mechanisms and that I could be on the cusp on a breakthrough as opposed to the failure I feel when I feel this way. Me, personally. I think maybe it is time for me to stop taking them. The only thing is how? FOr the last week I have been biting the tablets in two and therefore halved my dose.

How did anyone else come off this and over what duration of time did you do it?

Hope it's ok to share all this:yesyes: :bighug1:

Southern_Belle
20-02-09, 16:35
Hi Redrock,

Welcome to NMP. Many here will understand how you feel and you will get support. I have not taken this particular medication but I'm sure others will be able to give advice. Good luck!

Take care,

Laura

Debbied
20-02-09, 16:48
I have been on citalopram for a while now and whilst they do take a couple of weeks to get used to and to notice any change they have helped me considerably.

Good luck on taking them and hope that they help

peanuts
20-02-09, 17:20
i have been taking this for about 4 weeks now havnt really noticed much difference but I think it takes longer to start working I havnt had as many thoughts and worries etc but im not sure that is down to this also I didnt have any side effects when I started taking it, so dont let that put you off as it did me for a few weeks

CarolineB
21-02-09, 15:58
I've put off taking citalopram for years now against my doctors advice, as I am so anxious about the side effects, I want the benefits but I am scared the side effects will make my palpatations worse, I am also worried about the symptoms when you come off them to as I had a hard time coming off my beta blockers..... I'm just not sure what to do?

sunshine-lady
21-02-09, 23:14
Hi and welcome to NMP

So pleased that you have found us. I am sure you will like it here as there is so much help, information and support. There is a chat room which is a great place to make new friends

Take care xxx

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/misc/progress.gif

weeble40
25-02-09, 09:52
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx